'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
RadiantGuard or similar foil insulation for entire roof??? Please advise

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-04-02 9:31 AM
14 replies, 5796 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

srigs1
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-03-31 11:00 AM (#118267)
Subject: RadiantGuard or similar foil insulation for entire roof??? Please advise

Been scouring the site looking at Insulation projects. Hubby wants to use a double layer of this to insulate our LQ roof. I want to use rigid foam with a vapor barrier. We live in MN and spring and fall shows can be COLD, summer shows very Hot.. I have only found one post about Radiantguard used. Im concerned that we wont get as tight a seal as we would with rigid type. Of course both will be properly taped before we add our ceiling material.Any comments on this product for insulating roofs? Pretend you live in Minnesota, put on your snowsuit and tell me what you would use for insulating...Really appreciate the advice!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-03-31 11:24 AM (#118271 - in reply to #118267)
Subject: RE: RadiantGuard or similar foil insulation for entire roof??? Please advise

Regular

I live in Alberta, Canada, where we have some real cold. My first show of the year is always at the end of May, and some years we've had a skiff of snow during the show. Yuck. So I can see why insulation is of importance to you.

Having said that, we didn't worry too much about insulation when we did our trailer this winter. Why not? Because in reality we don't spend much time in our trailer at shows. We'll eat breakfast there, sleep there, and that's about it. So I wanted insulation to prevent condensation more than anything. We just used the rigid foam insulation and taped it well, I guess time will tell whether that's going to be enough, or not. On the other hand, we decided against insulating the trailer's bed because we were just too busy/lazy to pull out the perfectly good indoor/outdoor carpet on the nose. So if that isn't insulated, why get too paranoid about the ceiling? I suspect you're being more ambitious than us, so there may be more value in doing the ceiling extra well.

For heating we bought a ceramic room heater, it has a built in thermostat, and the one time we've tried it we were really pleased with how it worked. And because heat rises we were very nice and snug in the nose. Plus we're campers from way back, so we are always prepared with lots of blankets and we often sleep in warm clothes at night. Heck, a few years ago I slept in my open sided horse trailer (in a pup tent set up inside of it) and the temp got down to freezing. I had a hat on my head, lots of clothes, wrapped in a good sleeping bag, and was fine. Getting up and dressed in the morning wasn't so much fun, I admit, but I survived. My new trailer will be a huge improvement over that!

I'll be interested in seeing what sort of replies you get to this. I know many people discuss the difference in radiant heat, etc, so I'm sure I'll learn something new and wish we had done more when insulating our trailer!

srigs1
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-03-31 11:38 AM (#118272 - in reply to #118267)
Subject: RE: RadiantGuard or similar foil insulation for entire roof??? Please advise

Im curious as well to see which of what I described will work best for us. the roof is the only part of trailer not insulated. Most of the time its fine with A/C or our great radiant heater, but those 30 degree nights can be a killer when your trying to get some sleep at the shows. I want to be TOASTY warm.p.s. We have a Trailet with a fiberglass one piece roof if this helps.
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2010-03-31 1:23 PM (#118280 - in reply to #118267)

Veteran

I had my insulation sprayed in. I paid more for this but it was worth it to me because I wanted to do it right the first time. The reflective insulation is what a lot of conversion companies use but you can't tell me that it's as good as foam board or spray in insulation. Insulation is not just about keeping in the heat, it also about making the living area quiet. Mine is so quiet I can go in there and rest even if there are trucks and load speakers and stuff going out side.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-03-31 2:23 PM (#118289 - in reply to #118267)

Expert

Sometimes if you can get to the location, where a commercial insulation company is finishing a spraying installation, they will do a "small" job like a dressing room quite inexpensively. One of the largest expenses is getting their equipment and personnel on location, and getting things set up to do the job.

After the job is finished, they have to purge and clean their equipment, and break it all down for transport. By eliminating these steps, often times your smaller installation can easily be effected on site.

If you decide to go the spray insulation route, make sure all your wiring is first installed. You will not want to cut into the insulation to run the wiring at a latter date. You will also have to mask off the windows, latches, electrical panels or any non removable hardware.

Call some of the companies in your phone book, and ask if they will consider this application at their latest job site. You may be pleasantly surprised at how easily the job will turn out

nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-03-31 2:40 PM (#118295 - in reply to #118267)

Veteran

Ive had 2 different trailers.  One with foam and one with spun fiberglass.  The foam was much better until I added a off brand of RadiantGuard.  It's my understanding that by itself it is not nearly as effective as when its will some "standard" insulation.  After I added the Astrofoil, the temperature difference was significant.  Also, it seemed to be quieter inside as well.  btw when I had these I lived in MI, similar weather to what you get.
wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2010-03-31 3:22 PM (#118299 - in reply to #118267)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by srigs1 on 2010-03-31 11:00 AM

We live in MN and spring and fall shows can be COLD, summer shows very Hot.. Pretend you live in Minnesota, put on your snowsuit and tell me what you would use for insulating...Really appreciate the advice!

Have built out two LQ trailers, one Featherlite, one Keiferbuilt

The Featherlite wall studs are 1"x say 2 1/2", the Keiferbuilt is 1 5/8" x 2 7/8". So you can see right there you get more in the wall of a Keifer.

Both trailers have the ceiling framed the same so no additional thickness of insulation really.

In a perfect world, I'd get everything behind the wall and ceiling that needed to go there and then have it sprayed. But I used rigid foam for walls on both. Cans of spray foam work well in areas and for seams.

Rigid foam is something like R5 per inch of thickness. Spray foam?

I use wrapped fiberglass batts for the ceiling...R11
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-03-31 4:53 PM (#118300 - in reply to #118267)

Expert

Originally written by srigs1 on 2010-03-31 8:00 AM

Been scouring the site looking at Insulation projects. Hubby wants to use a double layer of this to insulate our LQ roof. I want to use rigid foam with a vapor barrier. We live in MN and spring and fall shows can be COLD, summer shows very Hot.. I have only found one post about Radiantguard used. Im concerned that we wont get as tight a seal as we would with rigid type. Of course both will be properly taped before we add our ceiling material.Any comments on this product for insulating roofs? Pretend you live in Minnesota, put on your snowsuit and tell me what you would use for insulating...Really appreciate the advice!

The Radiantguard requires an air space to be effective.  Two layers placed together are not effective.  I would rather use rigid foam board with plastic film as a vapor barrier and a facing of some hard board material to protect the foam.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-03-31 10:08 PM (#118308 - in reply to #118267)

Expert

Rigid foam panels with bonded vapor barriers work very well in trailers. The double sided, foil faced types are especially good. They can be glued to the walls, and the edges taped to complete the vapour barrier. If the cuts aren't tight to the structure, the gaps can be first filled with spray foam. Curving the panels can be accomplished by a series of scarf cuts on the outside of the curve.

A jig saw with a fine tooth metal cutting blade, will make quick work of the cutting and fitting of thick sheets. The thinner materials are easily cut with a utility knife.

srigs1
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-03-31 10:18 PM (#118309 - in reply to #118267)

thanks very much for the advice and suggestions!  I will post pics when its done. :)
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2010-04-01 12:13 PM (#118336 - in reply to #118267)

Veteran

Good luck with your project. When I did mine it turned out to be a big project but I took it slow and did it right. Now that its done I am SO glad I have it. A nice comfortable area to relax in is so nice to have at the shows and while traveling. I LOVE MY LQ.
eswlnu
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-04-01 10:41 PM (#118351 - in reply to #118267)

we are in the process of doing our LQ and its fun and interesting.. we are using 1.5 inch of rigid pink foam on ceiling and  the same on the walls. on the floors we put 3 inches of foam the trailer had a LQ in it but WOW was it not good. mice had eatin wires plumbing was leaking a little and no insultaion in parts of the trailer which allowed for condensation. we in sulated gooseneck floor with 3/4 inch insulation and put 3/4 inch tongue and grrove plywood and we just started putting up 1/2 inch plywood for the walls..we ripped 1/2 inch plywood and used self tappers to screw them to the aluminum studs and werever we could wed spray the expanda foam ..
eswlnu
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-04-01 10:45 PM (#118353 - in reply to #118267)

we are in the process of doing our LQ and its fun and interesting.. we are using 1.5 inch of rigid pink foam on ceiling and  the same on the walls. on the floors we put 3 inches of foam the trailer had a LQ in it but WOW was it not good. mice had eatin wires plumbing was leaking a little and no insultaion in parts of the trailer which allowed for condensation. we in sulated gooseneck floor with 3/4 inch insulation and put 3/4 inch tongue and grrove plywood and we just started putting up 1/2 inch plywood for the walls..we ripped 1/2 inch plywood and used self tappers to screw them to the aluminum studs and werever we could wed spray the expanda foam ..
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-04-01 10:55 PM (#118354 - in reply to #118353)

Expert

Originally written by eswlnu on 2010-04-01 11:45 PM

we are in the process of doing our LQ and its fun and interesting.. just started putting up 1/2 inch plywood for the walls..we ripped 1/2 inch plywood and used self tappers to screw them to the aluminum studs and werever we could wed spray the expanda foam ..

Be careful not to use steel drywall screws to fasten into the aluminum structure

eswlnu
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-04-02 9:31 AM (#118368 - in reply to #118267)

we didnt but what would be the affect of doing that??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)