'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
tips for insulating aluminum trailer roof?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-04-22 1:46 PM
4 replies, 28301 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

skylermom
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2010-03-19 6:05 PM (#117825)
Subject: tips for insulating aluminum trailer roof?

Regular

I would like to insulate my stock combo trailer ceiling to prevent condensation from dripping on me when I'm bunked in the trailer on my cot.  Could someone recommend an insulation type that would work well and the best way to fasten it between the braces?  Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-03-19 8:16 PM (#117827 - in reply to #117825)
Subject: RE: tips for insulating aluminum trailer roof?

Expert

Take a look at this site, it may give you a few ideas!!!..... http://todd.redwrench.com/Insulation.htm

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-03-21 12:55 PM (#117878 - in reply to #117825)

Regular

Installing insulation is easy. I don't have experience in any type of carpentry, but i did all the insulation in our dressing room and it took almost no time.

Measure how thick a space you have in the steel studs in the roof - probably between 1 to 1 1/2 inches. You have several types of foam insulation to choose from, they all come in different thickenesses which obviously changes the amount of acutal insulation value they provide. I used the cheapest rigid foam available, it was white styrofoam in a 1" thickness, I knew I wasn't needing huge insulation value so much as a way to prevent the condensation problems you're talking about. The white foam came in 4' by 8' pieces, I think they cost about $9.50 each. You then need a good utility knife, a measuring tape, and some aluminum tape (I found it at Wal-Mart)

You simply measure between the steel studs, cut the right size piece of insulation, then tape all the edges with aluminum tape. It can be a bit tricky because most trailer narrow at the front and then widen towards the middle, but if you don't get it perfect you can always add a tiny piece, or cut something away. Tape it really well. If you aren't planning to put paneling or anything over the insulation you probably will need to screw in some pieces of wood to hold everything in place over time.

I found the toddredwrench site very helpful, so go onto their and read his section on insulation. A picture is worth a thousand words. Also, go onto his 'links' sight and look at other people's work, etc and that will also be helpful. But I don't think you need to be too scared to insulate your roof. Even if you don't do a good job you can always remove it and try again, the costs are minimal (I think I spent less than $100 to insulate the walls and ceiling in my 4' shortwall gooseneck) and you won't do any permement damage. So good luck.

skylermom
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2010-04-22 12:56 PM (#119196 - in reply to #117825)

Regular

Thanks! 

I got the styrofoam sheets and aluminum tape...it was easy and turned out great!  I'm sure it will make a big difference in the summer (and prevent the condensation too).

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-04-22 1:46 PM (#119199 - in reply to #117825)

Regular

Glad you were able to do the insulation - sounds worse than the actual job, right?! Enjoy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)