'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
horse trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-16 4:52 PM
5 replies, 2907 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mollyjoe
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-15 11:47 PM (#117648)
Subject: horse trailers

Can any body tell me the best horse trailer you can buy that is priced reasonable?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-03-16 6:34 AM (#117660 - in reply to #117648)
Subject: RE: horse trailers

Expert

MJ,  There is no one best.   There are lots of choices and depending on how you will use the trailer, there are features that may mean more to you and others.

Consider the following and then go look at few.

Your Budget:  How much can you spend.

Size of the trailer:  Two horse, three horse, Four horse or larger.

Type of pull: Gooseneck or Bumper

Living Quarters or not:

Start by making a decision on some of these choices and then do a search in the trailers for sale area.   Once you have narrowed down to that list of available trailers that fit you budget, size and pulling requirements, then ask for suggestions on one of two of those brands.

Aluminum vs Steel or some combination of the two.

Fully enclosed or Open sided.

The list goes on and on.

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-03-16 9:51 AM (#117669 - in reply to #117648)

Painted Horse started right on this.

Best horse trailer? You will get hundreds of different answers.

Priced reasonable? Again, your definition of reasonable and mine may be the same, or they could be worlds apart.

Here are some questions... Steel, aluminum, or aluminum-skinned? How many horses? Slant load or straight load? Bumper pull or gooseneck? Dressing room or living quarters? New or Used?

Edited to add:  What price range do you consider reasonable? This is the most important question. Some of the other questions may be answered automatically after this one.

Edited by Tresvolte 2010-03-16 9:53 AM
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-03-16 10:02 AM (#117670 - in reply to #117648)

Expert

Another consideration is the type of vehicle you will tow with, so as to stay within the limits of what your tow rig can safely handle.
mollyjoe
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-16 12:36 PM (#117680 - in reply to #117648)

I pull with a Dodge 1500 4 wheel drive. With extra spring to take alittle more weight on gooseneck. Trailer straight 2 with side and back ramp with 4' midtack and 4' to 6' dressing room.
sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-16 4:52 PM (#117696 - in reply to #117648)

Regular

If you figure out which type of construction you think you want (aluminum, steel, or combination), find out what manufacturers make that construction and do some searches on this website. (There are other forums as well where people talk about horse trailers, just not dedicated to them - one that comes to mind is Chronicle of the Horse; you can get the "skinny" on various issues, you'll have to decide for yourself which issues are real and which ones are just hyped up). There have been lots of discussions - then you may find you have more specific questions about a particular brand or feature on a horse trailer. When I was shopping, I ended up making a spreadsheet of the different options available and other things that were important to me (I was looking for a used, 4H living quarter trailer). Then I figured out where several dealers were located nearby and also looked at some trailers individuals had for sale. Seeing the trailers in person was important for me to see how hinges/doors, etc. actually worked; which ones I thought were flimsy what features I could compromise on, etc. Good luck in your search!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)