'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Aftermarket limited slip diffs

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-06 8:06 PM
8 replies, 4284 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-05 9:56 PM (#114933)
Subject: Aftermarket limited slip diffs

Regular

Our 08 F-250 4x4 came equipped with an open diff.

I was thinking about dropping in a limited slip diff. I could try to fit in a stock posi, but I hear they're not that great. I see Eaton TrueTrac are available and they cost about $600.

The hope is to get better driving on wet pavement, soft grass/mud when towing (in 2wd or 4wd), and of course snow.

Has anyone installed a TrueTrac in their tow vehicle, and was it worth it?

Dave
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul D
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-01-06 7:25 AM (#114937 - in reply to #114933)
Subject: RE: Aftermarket limited slip diffs

Regular

I had a similar situation when I ordered a new Dodge in August of 2000. I could not get a limited slip from the factory with the 3:55 gears. I ordered a limited slip carrier from a company in MI who specializes in that type of thing (Rieder Racing). I have had no problems at all and my truck now has 273,000 miles on it. I see no reason you would have any problems either. I did the switch myself but this is beyond the capabilities of most truck owners. The setup and clearance for the new carrier is absolutely critical to the long term reliability of the differential.

Good Luck, Paul

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-01-06 7:56 AM (#114939 - in reply to #114933)

Expert

ford has recognized that folks want something different. The 2011 Superduties will offer the option of a new locking rear axle on their Single Rear Wheel drive trucks. It will use an on dash button that will electronically lock the rear end at speeds under 30 mph and only if it senses that you are not turning.  Since this has several inputs from other sending units on the truck ( speed and steering) I don't know if it could be retro fitted to an older truck.

The point being is that Ford feels that they can produce a better locking rear end that will hold up. So I suspect that Eaton and other reputable manufactures can also produce a serviceable product.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that GM has used Eaton limited slip axles on their diesel trucks. I know several guys that say they choose the GM product vs the Ford because of the performance of the GM Limited Slip.

I do know that I've had my truck stuck where I see one rear and one front tire spinning and I'm saying what happened to my LS rear end? and I have to remember it's a Limited Slip not a Locker.

Edited by Painted Horse 2010-01-06 7:57 AM
jakefreese
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-01-06 10:28 AM (#114947 - in reply to #114933)

Regular

the truetrac works pretty well, i run an arb in my truck and its great to have the flip of a switch lockup.   I used to run a detroit but that is way to agressive towing heavy.  I had broken an axle shaft with it, I have also run an auburn limited slip and it was not as agressive as i wanted it, it had just a little more bite than the oem limited slip.  Just remember install cost is not cheap.  Find someone that is reputable and stands behind there work.  setting it up correctly takes someone that knows what there doing. 
dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-06 11:34 AM (#114954 - in reply to #114933)

Regular

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I'm planning to install it myself. I've only ever rebuilt a diff once but I rebuild transmissions often. The only factor that will change from the OEM to the new diff is the diff carrier itself, so the ring and pinion is the same and setting up the shims on the diff bearings is the only variable. I might bring both diffs into work and use an inspection height gauge to measure the difference between the two so I can figure which shims to use on the first try. I don't have a luxurious place to work on the truck so I don't want to spend loads of time changing shims.

Regarding the 2011s it's an interesting idea. For on-road use the modern ABS systems can also stop wheelspin and for off-road use the air locker is promising.  I don't need anything quite that fancy.

FYI I'm not in love with Eaton but they're the only geared limited slip available for 10.25" Fords. It helps that I've heard good things about them.

Just last night I pulled a friend's car from an icy slope and was thinking how that easily could have been my truck considering how crappy the traction is in 2wd mode.

Dave

Edited by dgeesaman 2010-01-06 11:37 AM
Paul D
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-01-06 5:24 PM (#114967 - in reply to #114954)

Regular

Originally written by dgeesaman on 2010-01-06 11:34 AM

I might bring both diffs into work and use an inspection height gauge to measure the difference between the two so I can figure which shims to use on the first try. I don't have a luxurious place to work on the truck so I don't want to spend loads of time changing shims.

You will be able to get close doing what you describe but, you will still have to plan on making a least one remove and reinstall unless you are the luckiest wrench turner in the world. I did something similar when I switched mine but, I had a new truck. I measured the gear clearance on the original assembly. I pulled the shims off and placed them on the new carrier exactly as they were on the original. I then reinstalled the carrier and I only had to move one shim to the opposite side on the outer cone to get the correct clearance (which was the same as I measured on the original setup). By the way I highly recommend the folks at Rieder Racing. They are very helpful and knowledgable on what options you could consider for your truck. Just pickup the phone and call them, they will be glad to talk to you and answer any questions you may have. There prices are very competitive.

Good Luck, Paul

jakefreese
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-01-06 6:47 PM (#114970 - in reply to #114933)

Regular

your 08 has the 10.5 sterling rear end if its a srw the last year of the 10.25 was 1997

yeah ya might get lucky setting up the new carrier.  Unless you have the right tools to measure it i would just go back with the old shims and run from there.  At least the shims and bearings are outbound so shim changes are quick.  what part of the country are you in?  the sterlings are alot easier to do with a diff spreader too

Edited by jakefreese 2010-01-06 6:53 PM
dgeesaman
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-06 7:54 PM (#114972 - in reply to #114933)

Regular

Yeah I wasn't 100% sure when I wrote 10.25", I just looked up the axle tag and it's definitely a 10.5.

The Ford FSM does not show a spreader to service the diff, and the final endplay of the diff carrier is zero. ("Largest shim that can be fitted by hand").

I don't see anything too wild, so wish me luck.

Dave
jakefreese
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-01-06 8:06 PM (#114974 - in reply to #114933)

Regular

yeah ya do not have to have the spreader it just makes it easier.  your gonna need a big dead blow hammer to beat the carrier into the housing.  I have done quite a few of the sterling diffs
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)