'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sword Lake ride.......

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-18 6:05 PM
9 replies, 6613 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-09-14 12:14 PM (#110682)
Subject: Sword Lake ride.......

Extreme Veteran

Hi Yall!

Well got busy when summer hit, husband is working away from home and only home 1 day a week, Sundays. That left me to irrigating, and every ranch thing you can think of on a cattle ranch. Cody started Kindergarten, so left me with one day ride, did get a few campouts in, but on my birthday campout, Josie got her foot caught between a granite step and pulled her knee pretty good. Left her off with no riding for 2 months to play it safe. I've been riding her on the ranch when Cody is in school and working her back up, and glad to say she is back and doing well. I just wanted to give her some time to rest. She is 13, but she is an old 13 yrs. with all the miles I've put on her since she was 5yrs.

So...........................

Took myself, Josie and Miss Du up the hill for a day ride to Sword Lake. Glad I got up there and the cool breath of the sierras was moving in and and the Aspen were a quaking. It was nice to dawn on a hooded sweatshirt and a flannel over that. I'm getting tired of the heat here in Angels Camp.

We headed on up to Spicers Res. a favorite little spot of mine, and access to many trails I've found by researching out the old trails not used anymore. We headed on out for a 7 hour round trip to Sword Lake. Josie did just fine and was sure happy to get back up to the mountains.

A little lakelet along the way. This hasn't been this full this late in the season for a long time.

This is the view you get as you crest the ridge going into the back canyon behind Spicers Res. You climb a granite staircase and pop up looking at the Dardanelles.

Along the trail you wind through forest which doesn't leave you views like the ones along the ridges I ride that I'm used to. But ending up at a lake like this........................it's worth it!

Sword Lake

I haven't rode to Sword in several years. It got so overran by hikers camping that it wasn't as peaceful as it used to be. Well to my surprise, USFS has "NO CAMPING SITE RESTORATION" post all around the lake. This made me happy as it will be my peaceful spot once again.

The peak you see in the background it looking East towards Pacific Valley. That is Bull Run Peak.

Posting more hang tight!

Edited by cowpony01 2009-09-14 12:16 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-09-14 12:15 PM (#110683 - in reply to #110682)
Subject: RE: Sword Lake ride.......

Extreme Veteran

Here's a self taken shot of myself, Josie and if you look under Josie in the back on a granite rock is Miss Du. I had treats in my pocket! the reason she is looking back.

A view of Sword Lake with the Dardanelles in the background.....

Josie looking off into the wilderness.

On the way back we stopped at Wheats Meadow, an old cow camp, for a break, this is the half- way stop. My old cow camp cabin is slowly coming to an end. I always take pictures of this as I won't know if it will be standing the next year I return.

My cabin in the woods....

I remember about 10 years or so back riding into here with a group of gals, and there were two cabins standing. The other one is off the the left hand side in rubble on the ground( border=0 alt="" src="http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/images/smilies/sad.gif">. This is what the last cabin looks like now................

I have several rides to post, so when time lets in for me to sit and type my travels I will share them here with yall soon!!!!

Hope you enjoyed the trail dust!

Cowpony
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-09-14 5:18 PM (#110692 - in reply to #110682)

Expert

Good for you, glad to see you getting out and enjoying the mountains.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-09-14 7:20 PM (#110697 - in reply to #110682)

Veteran

Cowpony, I love seeing your pictures and hearing about your rides. Do you ever get scared riding alone especially to those sometimes desolate places? Do you carry a cell phone or satelite phone with you in case of emergency?
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2009-09-14 7:44 PM (#110699 - in reply to #110682)

Veteran

The lake views are incredible...I can just imagine how serene it must feel there. As usual, your photos take my breath away!

Judy
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-09-14 8:07 PM (#110701 - in reply to #110697)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by classygirl98 on 2009-09-14 5:20 PM

Cowpony, I love seeing your pictures and hearing about your rides. Do you ever get scared riding alone especially to those sometimes desolate places? Do you carry a cell phone or satelite phone with you in case of emergency?

I have to chuckle cause I get this question alot on other boards I post on. Where I go cell phones won't work, if they do you look like a rotating satellite dish ontop of a peak trying to get reception, LOL! I looked at those other phones, the sat ones, very, very expensive. Almost ridiculous. Husband and I said no to that. It's just a long walk out if something happens. That and I do leave maps that I download onto my Gps and where I'm riding what day and tell my home base when I will be home approx. I do try to call out when I get reception on my cell on the way home down the hill.

Scared, is the only thing I get when the dog and horse, stare into the same direction and I don't see anything. Otherwise no, it's peaceful and quiet around the campfire at night and mornings. And just being there with my two trail pals Josie and Du, what a time to get away from it all.............

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-09-15 8:22 AM (#110710 - in reply to #110682)

Elite Veteran

Beautiful country!
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-09-16 12:22 PM (#110747 - in reply to #110682)

Elite Veteran

As always..... I enjoy your posts and pictures... Thanks to you and Painted Horse, I have "ridden" a lot of beautiful country!
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-09-16 1:41 PM (#110749 - in reply to #110701)

Extreme Veteran

I have to chuckle cause I get this question alot on other boards I post on. Where I go cell phones won't work, if they do you look like a rotating satellite dish ontop of a peak trying to get reception, LOL! I looked at those other phones, the sat ones, very, very expensive. Almost ridiculous. Husband and I said no to that. It's just a long walk out if something happens. That and I do leave maps that I download onto my Gps and where I'm riding what day and tell my home base when I will be home approx. I do try to call out when I get reception on my cell on the way home down the hill.

Scared, is the only thing I get when the dog and horse, stare into the same direction and I don't see anything. Otherwise no, it's peaceful and quiet around the campfire at night and mornings. And just being there with my two trail pals Josie and Du, what a time to get away from it all.............

I am so envious of your trips and equally delighted that you share them with us.  I have to make a riding/camping trip out West sometime in my riding lifetime.

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by JacciB 2009-09-16 1:46 PM
Wild Bill
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-09-18 6:05 PM (#110849 - in reply to #110682)

Regular

Hi Kim, see your up to traveling the back country as usual. You always take great pictures on your travels. Was at Clarks Fork for 8 days and tryied to get to Sword Lake but got side tracked up a canyon just on the other side of Jenkins Canyon, was looking for a place to deer hunt. Say hi for me to Mike and Cody. Going back to CK on the 23 for another 8 days, packing in for 5. Take care.  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)