'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailering

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-04 8:28 PM
6 replies, 3795 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

luvarabs
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-08-30 11:45 PM (#110133)
Subject: Trailering

Read the post for hauling over 6 hours but I have a few questions of my own..I am going from northern IL to southern IL I figure between a 6-7 hour drive. I will be picking up a horse that a gal is considering buying. I have a 3 horse slant stock side trailer. Do I need to put anything down like sawdust, shavings or straw?? I usually just put the hay that falls out of the haybags on the butt side. The horse is 3 years old and will coming home alone in the trailer, which is the best stall to haul him in?? When I usually haul one horse I put it in the middle stall. Also do I need to put a hay bag in the trailer for him for the ride home?? I have never hauled a horse over 60 miles before, so this is kind of new to me going this far.

Also anyone coming up this way for the 100 mile ride next week?? It is being held in my home town.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-08-31 4:33 AM (#110134 - in reply to #110133)
Subject: RE: Trailering

Extreme Veteran

I always haul with savings in the trailer.  For a 6 hour haul, hang a hay bag.   Put it high enough for him to eat and not get a foot in it.  You'll be fine in the middle stall.  That way if he won't back out, you can always turn him around . 
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-09-03 8:14 PM (#110260 - in reply to #110133)

Extreme Veteran

IMO 7 hours in a comfortable trailer on a highway at 65 -70 mph is not a problem. Stop for yourself fuel, bathroom or food, make a visual check of the horse and keep going. We give light amounts hay in the begining and another dose of light hay at a feuling stop. I then carefully unload and allow a roll spot and plenty of fresh water and lots of hay. The reason I say carefully unload is my QH gets a little stiff after 7 hours and he has been known to stumble comming off so I watch out for him. Oh and we use shipping boots. I take them off before I unload.
Sundancer's Sidekick
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-09-04 1:09 AM (#110269 - in reply to #110133)

Originally written by luvarabs on 2009-08-30 10:45 PM

Read the post for hauling over 6 hours but I have a few questions of my own..I am going from northern IL to southern IL I figure between a 6-7 hour drive.

Most likely less...

I will be picking up a horse that a gal is considering buying. I have a 3 horse slant stock side trailer. Do I need to put anything down like sawdust, shavings or straw??
Rubber mats on floor are adequate, bare wood or alum-onation floors require more...

I usually just put the hay that falls out of the haybags on the butt side. The horse is 3 years old and will coming home alone in the trailer, which is the best stall to haul him in?? When I usually haul one horse I put it in the middle stall.
Depends on the balance of the trailer, #1 or #2 stall, keep 25% weight on goose or tongue.

Also do I need to put a hay bag in the trailer for him for the ride home??
Don't think so, short trip, plus I NEVER feed in trailer... if the trip is long enough to feed a rest stop with unload is best.

I have never hauled a horse over 60 miles before, so this is kind of new to me going this far.
Move west, you'll get used to hauling quick! 50 miles is a quick trip to the 7/11 (conveinience store). Our typical haul is 12 to 16 hrs horses in trailer, often with another 5 to 10 miles ponied to camp (preferably but not always with an overnight rest between), with no duress to our stock.

Are Western raised horses tougher? Probably not, just more accustomed to working for a living.

BTW- I grew up in Ohio, Sunday drive to Grannies house was an expedition at 25 miles. ;)

Edited by Sundancer's Sidekick 2009-09-04 1:57 AM
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-09-04 7:37 AM (#110274 - in reply to #110133)

On a 6 hour trip, I will use shavings. Just deep enough to soak up urine. I don't put heavy shavings in mine at all.

I always hang hay bags. More to keep them busy than anything.

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-09-04 11:00 AM (#110281 - in reply to #110133)

Veteran

BTW, Western horses are tougher, and I think western folk are better horsemen, but thats a debate for another day.

Edited by AQHA 123 2009-09-04 11:02 AM
luvarabs
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-09-04 8:28 PM (#110299 - in reply to #110281)

Okay, thought I'd let you all know how our trip went yesterday. I did put a bag of shavings down and wetted it down to cut down on dust. I do have mats in the trailer but they are not very thick so that is why I went with the shavings. I have the hay bags that hang in the corner of the stall and we put one of those in with hay for the ride home. However when we stop after about 40 miles to use the restroom and checked on the horse, he had one foot in the bag. Don't know how long he was riding like that but he looked very calm and wasn't thrashing around or all sweaty from the incident. We got him out of it and took the hay bag down and hung a regular hay bag from the tie ring. Back on the road we went.

The next time we stopped for a gas/potty break, we checked on him again and this time he had his lead rope wrapped around the hay bag. Again he looked really calm and didn't look all "freaked out". So we just took the bag down cuz it didn't look like he had eaten any of it any way.

By the way this horse is only a 3 year old and acts like a 9 nine year old. He is a sweetheart of a horse and think the gal who bought him will be really happy with him. He's a reg. national spotted saddle horse. I told her she made the right choice of buying him.

Thanks for all the suggestions....Each one is/was real helpfull.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)