'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Selling Trailer - Should I replace tires first??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-15 5:32 AM
4 replies, 3391 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jade
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-08-14 5:42 PM (#109394)
Subject: Selling Trailer - Should I replace tires first??

I'm listing my trailer and it desperately needs new tires due to dry rot. (It isn't being used.) Do you think it's best to replace the tires before listing the trailer or leave them as is and reduce the price, making note of the dry rot in the ad? My gut says replace them as the rest of the trailer is in good shape and I want a "pretty package". Your thoughts please.

Edited by Jade 2009-08-14 5:47 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-08-14 6:29 PM (#109398 - in reply to #109394)
Subject: RE: Selling Trailer - Should I replace tires first??

Expert

It's like selling a house.  You want it to be in the best shape possible.  A trailer with rotted tires screams "I'm NOT ready to hold your precious horse"  Potential buyers will not give it a second look.   Most buyers can't see beyond the present.  That's why there are always bargains to be had.  You don't want your trailer to be a "bargain"
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-08-14 9:17 PM (#109409 - in reply to #109394)

Expert

Originally written by Jade on 2009-08-14 5:42 PM

I'm listing my trailer and it desperately needs new tires due to dry rot. (It isn't being used.) Do you think it's best to replace the tires before listing the trailer or leave them as is and reduce the price, making note of the dry rot in the ad? My gut says replace them as the rest of the trailer is in good shape and I want a "pretty package". Your thoughts please.

Spend the money, it will make your trailer bring that much more and people will think you have keep up the maintance on it as well. Something else that will really help is to get it serviced! Bearings packed, brakes checked and get a receipt on the work and use that in you advertizement. I'm not sure where you are located, but down here I had my Sundowner serviced and checked out front to back for under $200. total by a Sundowner dealer.....

Most people who are looking to buy want something ready to go NOW and most will be willing to pay more for that piece of mind.

Just my opinion, this is the same way I offer trucks too......
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-14 10:38 PM (#109412 - in reply to #109394)

Expert

I agree with HTB. A trailer that is ready to use without additional maintenance issues or costs, is much more readily able to be sold. In fact, the price can command a premium over a comparable trailer, that's not so well maintained.

I've sold tractors, trucks, trailers and cars because they were updated and properly maintained. People do appreciate a well serviced trailer, instead of one that has had no maintenance and is full of manure and urine. First impressions mean a great deal in a sale; showing full maintenance records sets the hook deeper to a successful sale.

Gard

Jade
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-08-15 5:32 AM (#109416 - in reply to #109394)

Thank you! I shall be tire shopping today and taking her in for a checkup thereafter. I appreciate your input!

Edited by Jade 2009-08-15 5:34 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)