'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
potty/shower combo's

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-18 9:11 PM
6 replies, 10687 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-05-16 6:33 PM (#105027)
Subject: potty/shower combo's

Extreme Veteran

I'd like to get some feedback from folks that have a shower/potty combo in their trailers. How usable is it for taking a shower, and ah.. the other use? I'm trying to decide on just a shower with a porta potty or the shower/potty combo. How do those built in holding tanks work? Is there a pipe through the floor that goes to the sewer drain, or is there another black water holding tank under the trailer also? -Betty
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
barrelhorses
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-05-17 6:57 AM (#105032 - in reply to #105027)
Subject: RE: potty/shower combo's

Regular

My last LQ was a 2000 Sundowner Trailblazer II.  It had a shower/toilet combination.  It worked fine for us.  The only issue I had is that you really need to dry the shower/toilet after you take a shower so that your clothes don't get wet when you use the toilet. Our trailer was plumbed from the factory.  There was a drain pipe that ran the shower water to a gray water tank and the toilet drained into a black water tank. 
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-05-17 9:35 AM (#105037 - in reply to #105027)

Extreme Veteran

On the combo potty's, you can get them with a built in holding tank, or without the built in holding tank. If you have the built in black water tank, do they also add one under the trailer? So, you'd end up with three holding tanks. One gray water, one black water under the trailer, and the one that is contained in the potty/shower combo? Gard - I was glad to see your description of cutting the beams under the trailer to add a holding tank. The 4-Star does not have enough room under it to add holding tanks without cutting the beams.
301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-05-17 12:55 PM (#105040 - in reply to #105027)

Veteran

When we first started horsin around I bought a 9.5' slide in pop up camper for my dually and a bumper pull trailer. The camper had a shower toilet combo. It was a little different than the ones in most horse trailers but still close. It had it's own cartridge for black water. I tried to wait till I got home to empty it so the chemical could get everything dissolved going down the road. Dumping it took a little getting used to but wasn't that big of deal. I really liked the setup for 2 people. We could go about 5 days with a little common sense and some fresh water every couple of days. Biggest challenge was keeping toilet paper dry. Kept a towel in there to dry the toilet with. Having the shower and hot water right there made it nice to clean. Actually still have the camper, hoping to use it again in my "retirement years"
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-05-17 10:59 PM (#105057 - in reply to #105027)

Expert

I also had a truck camper with the combination shower and toilet unit. If you are absolutely pressed for space, it is a compromise that works. I hated it. When we bought our weekender LQ, it was equipped with a small bathroom, with a separate shower and toilet. It also works and is more convenient. Because of the small available space, the shower is crowded for a large person. We added a cowboy shower, and with a walk through door from the LQ to the stalls, is much more functional.

We just finished a similar weekender in the same type of Exiss trailer. Originally we planned on the installation of toilet, with an integral above the floor tank. We discovered it was bulky and took up a lot of space. Instead we installed a conventional toilet in the bathroom, with a cowboy shower in the first stall. The below the floor holding tank, is more voluminous and convenient to plumb and use. We combined the gray and black water simplifying the plumbing.

I've seen that many of the newer small bathrooms, are now equipped with the combination units. They would not be my first choice. Obviously if they were my only choice, it would be a liveable compromise.

Here's one example of the newer combination units:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=180268

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-05-18 9:07 AM
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-05-18 11:39 AM (#105075 - in reply to #105027)

Extreme Veteran

My trailer has the combo. It works just fine for me. I keep a cotton bath mat outside the shower so that when I am finished I can put it on the floor of the shower stall. Wipe off the toilet and you are good to go. Mine doesn't have anywhere to put the toilet paper, so I rigged a hanging jobby that I just remove for showers so the paper doesn't get wet. If I got another trailer, I would like them seperate, but in a 4 ft shortwall it is great just to HAVE a shower!
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-05-18 9:11 PM (#105116 - in reply to #105027)

Extreme Veteran

I would prefer seperate facilities, but where space and finances are a concern you can make do with a combo unit.  Better than no facilities at all.

Marla

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)