'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Professional Repainting?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-17 10:27 PM
5 replies, 12981 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-05-16 8:27 AM (#105011)
Subject: Professional Repainting?

Veteran

I'm hoping to have my big steel Lazy N horse trailer repainted once I get it the rest of the way paid off in the next few months.  Maybe I could send it away for the winter, and have it back in the spring.  I want to find somewhere that will remove the trim, sandblast, paint, and seal everything.  Is there such a place?  I'm willing to travel to take it somewhere good, but someplace in IL would be easiest.  The tag on the trailer says it's 26'.  What might a job like this cost?  I've googled "trailer repainting" "trailer refurbishing" "horse trailer painting" etc. and not found anything.  I'm not sure that an automotive repainting place would have big enough facility to do a trailer of this size.  I don't want to skimp.  This trailer will last me forever if I keep the steel good...at this point there are about two spots the size of half dollars that are surface rust.  Someone already had it repainted in the past, which is why it's still in such good shape.  If anyone can recommend a place to take it, let me know.  I don't want to take it to Joe Schmoe and have the paint peeling off in a year. 

Amanda

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
barrelhorses
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-05-16 9:29 AM (#105013 - in reply to #105011)
Subject: RE: Professional Repainting?

Regular

I know there is a place in western Indiana that advertises in some of the local horse trading magazines.  They specialize in complete refurbishing from what I recall.  I know they are on the web because I actually googled them once.  I just tried to google them again, using "horse trailer restoration" but didn't come up with them again.  If I figure it out, I'll let you know.  I have no idea what the job would cost, but it sounds like you want to the job the right way, so it will probably cost quite a bit more than a local auto paint shop.  But it will be a better job, too.
big ticket
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-05-16 1:19 PM (#105022 - in reply to #105011)

New User

I wasn't able to find an automotive paint shop that would or could do mine. Had a recommendation to go to a paticular shop that did construction/heavy equiptment. They were awesome. Big, Big bay. Sand blasting, removed the trim, could & would got any paint I wanted. It's not in your area, but you might check with that type place. I had never even thought of that type of paint shop before the auto body shop told me.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-05-16 6:02 PM (#105026 - in reply to #105011)

Extreme Veteran

Look for an older trailer with a new coat of paint on it, and ask the owner where they had it done. That's how I found the local guy that I've used twice. Great job, took off all the trim, sandblasted, 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of paint. Paint job is 3 years old and looks brand new. Two Neighbors had the same guy do theirs, and it looks great. My 2 horse stock/combo w/ dressing room was $1,100, if I remember correctly. Sure worth it. -Betty
HORSESTONY58
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-05-17 9:48 PM (#105053 - in reply to #105011)

New User

I work for a company just outside Chicago. It is Transportation Repairs and Services. It is located in Hodgkins, IL. We have a EPA and Osha approved sandblast booth and 2 EPA and OSHA approved paint booths. We regularly sandblast and paint everything from Fire trucks to fullsize Semi Trailers used for race teams and television production. We just compleated a blast and paint on a KeiferBuilt last week. We also perform complete body work.  I would be glad to get you a quote. You can check out our website at www.trschicago.com. The website is a bit old and has photos from when the shop was first built.

Tony N.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-05-17 10:27 PM (#105056 - in reply to #105011)

Expert

I had an 18' steel stock combo completely restored. The media blasting inside and out, with the wheels and wheel wells, cost $950. The actual paint cost was $1050. I had a half a day with a welder, preparation materials costs and a painter's labour and use of his facilities. I personally spent a week and a half with my labour to reduce the costs. The total bill was just under $3000

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)