'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Stripping Paint off Trailer and polish Aluminum

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-15 10:54 AM
5 replies, 12646 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-05-15 12:17 AM (#104954)
Subject: Stripping Paint off Trailer and polish Aluminum

Veteran

Hi All -

I was wondering if anyone had tried stripping the paint off their trailer. I am a fan of Airstream travel tralers and was thinking of stripping my Sundowner and then doing a high polish finish on the aluminum.

Any thoughts ?

Or should I just look for a trailer that is raw aluminum and start there ?

Thanks

tr0y
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
smoothride
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2009-05-15 6:24 AM (#104957 - in reply to #104954)
Subject: RE: Stripping Paint off Trailer and polish Aluminum

Regular

Don't know alot about stripping off the pant but you can find info on polishing the aluminum at perfect polish.com  We bought our cyclo polisher and the nuite from them.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-05-15 8:57 AM (#104959 - in reply to #104954)

Expert

Many trailer manufacturers purchase their metal siding products prepainted from roll coating companies. During this process, the paint is applied and baked at high temperatures, which strongly bonds it to the base metal.

There are many types of strippers that will remove paint from the metal. Depending on the type of paint that was applied, certain types will work better than others in the removal process. Any over lapping seams and edges are particularly difficult to completely clean. The initial stripped surface will be quite rough, and will need several stages of being smoothed, before a high gloss finish can be obtained.

Polishing of non polished aluminum takes several steps, progressing from a rough to a smooth surface. Most professionals use an air powered dual action, dual head, random orbit sander/polisher. Wool bonnets are initially used with aggressive compounds, working to smoother compounds with anti corrosion and wax ingredients.

Commercial aircraft not painted, are constantly polished to lower parasitic drag. A dirty and corroded surface increases the skin friction, and increases the fuel burn on each flight. This can cost many extra gallons of fuel over every flight. This constant maintenance is costly to the carriers.

The final finish is not maintenance free, and takes constant attention to maintain a high deep gloss. The aluminum has a constant oxidation when exposed to air. This protects the metal, but ends up with a dull finish. The only way to lower this maintenance, is to apply a clear coating over the finished aluminum. A common product is the spray application of an automotive clear urethane paint. It is more durable than the lacquers commonly used in the past.

You are considering a project that will involve many hours of difficult work. If it is not clear coated, you will have a life time of monthly maintenance to continue its luster. Before you start, you should consider if this is an undertaking you're willing to endure.

Gard

tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-05-15 9:19 AM (#104963 - in reply to #104954)

Veteran

I know there is work involved, with the family Airstream we end up doing it about a 10 hour once a year project. What about a super high gloss polish and a clear coat or clear anodize over it ?

But a chrome / polished trailer with a very retro interior ?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-05-15 9:26 AM (#104964 - in reply to #104963)

Expert

Originally written by tr0y on 2009-05-15 9:19 AM

I know there is work involved, with the family Airstream we end up doing it about a 10 hour once a year project. What about a super high gloss polish and a clear coat or clear anodize over it ? But a chrome / polished trailer with a very retro interior ?

The polish will reduce the affects of oxidation, as will a clear coating. Anodizing will produce a dull finish.

You definitely don't want to follow behind a polished trailer on a sunny day.

Gard

tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-05-15 10:54 AM (#104971 - in reply to #104954)

Veteran

Yes I do know that, my pop as a restored Airstream that is like a mirror, but he is retired and it is his baby.

But wow it sure looks great going down the road

tr0y
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World