'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Load Light Problem

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-30 1:15 PM
3 replies, 2516 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

melloyellowmoore
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-28 3:15 PM (#102309)
Subject: Load Light Problem

New User

Man I have spent more time trying to fix a load light problem in my 2005 8' LQ Exiss than I can shake a stick at...  I noticed some other posting on this subject but no one seems to have my exact problem.   I bought the trailer used last year and everything in the LQ works fine while on battery or shore power.  The load lights in the horse area worked for about an hour one day, I replaced the switch and the switch cover plate on the back corner (outside) of the trailer. I took off the corner plate (inside just above tack area) and found a junction of sorts. I assume this junction also controls brake light and turn signals which all work.  I noticed there is a wire that came off just before the junction connection that appear to feed the switch I replaced so this must be the power feed.  I test with a voltmeter and I am getting 13.74 DC volts to this wire but once I turn the switch on voltage goes to 1 or 0 and no lights come on.  It smells like a ground problem but I swear I can tell where this feed is actually coming from... The junction in the corner is fed by a thick black cable that runs inside the horse area along the top.  I checked the converter and I can not find the thick cable, I see the battery cables and circuit runs but not this thick black cable.  I notice that up in the gooseneck area outside there is a safety brake battery and another hard junction box .  I tested those with my voltmeter and get no volts up there but I was thinking that this was where my truck plugs in so I shouldn't have any up there anyway... 

A couple of weeks ago we were camping and I am sure the truck had already been disconnected and we were enjoying the radio when my wife went back to turn the lights on.  The lights worked then failed and at the same time the radio wigged out for a minute or so once she turn the switch at the back off the radio started playing again.

The LQ was put together by Carolina Coach Works and I can't locate them as being in business any longer.  If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it, it is really driving me NUTZ!!!

Melloyellow---

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hitch and go
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-03-28 4:06 PM (#102310 - in reply to #102309)
Subject: RE: Load Light Problem

Regular

Have you replaced the bulb yet?  You have a short.  Probally in the bulb itself. This is what I would do in the shop, start by taking the switch and testing for power on the hot side.  If you have power(should have) go to the loading light and disconnect the wire for light bulb.  Turn on switch and test for power at the bulb disconnect.  If the power is not there your wire or switch is bad.  If power is there inspect your bulb closely for any metal touching the soldered connection on the bulb.  Never touch a halogen bulb with your fingers, use towel. 
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-03-28 5:30 PM (#102311 - in reply to #102309)

Expert

It wouldn't matter if Carolina Coach was still in business, They are not going to know where the problem lies. You will need to trace the wiring through as mentioned above. Start with the bulb and the fuse panel.  Make both the bulb and the fuse are good. Then get the circuit testor out and start tracng the faaut through the wires.
melloyellowmoore
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-30 1:15 PM (#102433 - in reply to #102309)

New User

Thanks for all the help, several good ideas. The problem seems to lie in my understanding of how this stuff works... I did finally realize that the gooseneck junction box is what my truck plugs into, however there is a light up there that you can switch on without the truck being connected (battery must be on though) so that little light has ONE wire that goes into this junction box ( I assume to get power) and exits the junction box on a thick black cable that goes into the sleeping area (though I can not find this cable inside). I assume that this black cable, since it ties to the front of the gooseneck where my trailer plugs in that this would also control my tail lights which I believe I've located back in the horse area running across the top inside of the trailer. So if the little light up front is drawing voltage and my wire feed in the back is drawing voltage why can I light the bulbs in the back. All fixtures in the back look somewhat good and new, no obvious signs of issues. All the lights have just one wire to them and are all attached directly to the trailer itself (I assume the trailer is acting as the ground?) Due to the LQ area being finished I can not seem to locate what happens to this cable once it enters the LQ area, it has to be getting battery power somewhere since the light in the gooseneck's underside is working and the lights in the horse area at one time worked. I checked the converter and no sign of that cable there or anywhere close? Its almost like they putting behind the walls and someone ran a screw through at somepoint and its causing a ground issue. Does anyone know how to trace the cables behind the walls or where they usually run them when they build the LQ. Thanks again for all your replies Mello
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)