'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Looking for small stock combo trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-03-17 4:46 PM
4 replies, 3427 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JenFleet
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-03-16 3:01 PM (#101478)
Subject: Looking for small stock combo trailer

New User

Hello everyone, I'm new both to this forum and to trailering. I've been a horse owner for over 30 years, but believe it or not, have never had a need for my own trailer! I've always had plenty of friends with rigs willing to split their costs and give me rides over the years.

But now I'm in need of my own set up. I think what I'd prefer is a stock combo, although I'm open to suggestions. I occasionally compete in endurance and CTRs, so need to camp with my horses. I plan on towing with either a GMC Yukon, or maybe even a new Ford Explorer (the V8 has a 7,310 lb. towing capacity) if I get a light enough trailer so I don't get the "tail wagging the dog" in a crunch. If I get a heavier trailer (5,000 lbs or so) I'll definitely get the Yukon. Either way, I'll be sleepng in the back of the SUV when I camp, so don't need an LQ.

It would obviously need to be a BP.

I have a few dumb questions about stock combos. Don't laugh. :)

My friend had one for a while, and the horse area easily fit two horses, and then there was a walled off area (the wall swung open and shut) at the front of the horse area in which we could safely stow a bale or two of hay and other gear, without worrying about it tumbling about, endangering the horses. Do they all have this, or was this something custom? It also had a nice sized tack room with swing out saddle rack. You could stand in the tack room and store some stuff in there, but I'm not sure it would be considered a dressing room. What's the difference between "tack room" and "dressing room" in a stock combo trailer? I want to know what I'm reading when I look at trailer ads.

If anybody on here has a trailer for sale that would suit my needs (hauling no more than two horses at a time), please contact me. I am in the Fresno, CA area. I'm hoping to find a trailer that is lightweight - well under 5,000 lbs if possible. I've seen some stock combos that are around 2,000 lbs, but even a little heavier is okay.

Any advice on what to look for - features, safety issues, brands to look for or beware of...anything like that would be really appreciated.

Also, if I got a trailer that weighed around 3,000 lbs., would the V8 Ford Explorer be okay to pull (and stop!) it? It has a 7,310 towing capacity and a 4.0L V8 engine. I would be going over the Grapevine on I-5 (a long steep grade) with it on ocassion. My horses are Arabians, so not big and heavy, and most of the time, I'd only be hauling one of them.

I'll get the Yukon if I have to, but if I get a lightweight trailer, I might not need to. I'd prefer the Explorer, and it will have to serve double duty as my full time car.

Thanks for any tips, or any leads on trailers in my area!

Thanks for reading,
Jennifer

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-17 7:02 AM (#101546 - in reply to #101478)
Subject: RE: Looking for small stock combo trailer

Extreme Veteran

I have an Exiss STC-16 Event stock trailer that I pull multiple times a week and love it.  It is an all aluminum trailer with a large tack room and empty wgt is 3,060 lbs according to the Exiss website.  It is 7' tall which is nice and suits our needs very well.  I pull this trailer with a Chevy 3500 dually with a 454 engine which is way more truck than I need for this little trailer, but it pulls great.  I have no problem with it wagging or moving all over the raod. I also own a Yukon XL, but have never pulled the BP with it since I have the truck.  My kids ride 4-H Drill team and I have seen many other families pull 2 HBP with Yukons, but don't recall seeing anyone pull with an Explorer.  The Exiss trailer I have also comes in a 13 ft stock, which would do well if you are only wanting to haul 2 horses.  I prefer having the extra space and the ability to haul 3 if I need too.  We have been very happy with this trailer and plan on keeping it for years to come.  Good Luck.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-03-17 3:48 PM (#101606 - in reply to #101478)

Explorer's wheelbase is too short to pull anything other than a Brenderup.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-03-17 3:59 PM (#101609 - in reply to #101606)

Expert

Originally written by rose on 2009-03-17 3:48 PM

Explorer's wheelbase is too short to pull anything other than a Brenderup.

That is an "urban legend" with no basis in fact.  Other than the "fact" it was somebodys opinion.

Edited by chadsalt 2009-03-17 4:00 PM
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-03-17 4:46 PM (#101615 - in reply to #101478)

The Explorer has the capacity to safely pull the smaller trailer, but if you are going to be going over Grapevine very often, go with the Yukon and the smaller trailer. 5% grade isn't anything to play with and be as safe as you can. Keep all your brakes maintined well and go with the better brake controller. You will also be surprised that your mileage won't be much different between the two.

As far as the wheelbase length goes, the only wheelbase charts I have ever been able to find, do say nothing with shorter than a 100" wheelbase. A few say 110". These were all based on RV trailers and said as long as your were within your weight capacities, you could tow 20' behind a 110" wheelbase. It also said you could add 1' of trailer length for every 4" additional in wheelbase length. That would make an Explorer capable of up to a 21' long trailer. I wouldn't recommend that, but each to his own. And remember, that is based on RVs.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)