'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Electric or Electric Hydraulic Brakes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-26 10:20 AM
5 replies, 3655 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Trailer Doctor 33
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-02-25 8:37 AM (#100120)
Subject: Electric or Electric Hydraulic Brakes

I'm getting ready to purchase a new 3H LQ trailer and the dealer asked me if i wanted electric or electric hydraulic brakes. I'd heard of the hydraulic brakes but never have used them before and was wondering if someone could push me in the right direction?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-02-25 12:07 PM (#100144 - in reply to #100120)
Subject: RE: Electric or Electric Hydraulic Brakes

Expert

When we shopped for a new trailer, I considered the optional disc brake option. It was less expensive purchasing it then, instead of an upgrade later. The option included an electric/hydraulic actuator and as far as pricing, I can only remember that it was quite expensive. We have some hilly areas where we live, and while certainly not as precipitous as in the West, we had some concerns about the down hill braking capabilities with the larger trailers.

After asking countless questions of everyone who would listen, I decided that the standard electric brakes would suffice. If I needed additional hill holding, I planned on the addition of a future diesel engine braking devise.

It has not been a necessary option. While using the OEM equipment, I've always had enough brakes, no fading and excellent long term wear. My largest trailers were purchase used, and both have the standard electric brakes installed. I do not like or use surge brakes, which some of these newer components were intended to replace.

If your driving constantly includes long, mountainous down hills with a very heavy trailer, a disc brake option may be a serious consideration. The disc brakes would provide more of a fade free system.

I don't think I would find the optional electric/hydraulic DRUM brakes, worth the extra cost over the basic electrical actuation. For us, the standard electric actuators and brakes do an excellent job at nominal prices, and few maintenance issues.

Gard

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-02-25 6:14 PM (#100165 - in reply to #100120)

Expert

Trailer Doctor.  It will depend some on what you are towing with and how heavy the trailer is, and what type of terrain you tow in. 

Hydrauilic brakes are more powerful, but as Gard pointed out, more expensive.

You didn't say how big your LQ is, but an 8' shortwall with 3 horses is probably 14,000 to 15,000 lbs loaded. And a good 1 ton truck should handle that with electric brakes. Now a 17' shortwall with double slides, 8' wide and 8 ' tall and three horses and all the extras a high end trailer has, is probably more like 20k loaded and hydraulics would probably be a strong option.

If you are pulling with a dually truck, you already have more braking than most trailer owners who are using a non-dually. On my 2000 F350 with the 7.3L engine I went through a lot of brakes because of the heat build up warping the rotors.  On my 2006 F350 with 6.0L engine, I have not wore out my brake rotors as often even though I am pulling bigger trailers.  The newer TorqueShift tranny has better engine braking than the my older Ford did. Also ford increased the Rotor size in 2005 to give mroe braking surface on the rotors. ( That is reason ford went to 18" rims in 2005 vs the 16" rims they used previously). I set the cruise and the engine holds me all the way down the hill and I rarely have to use my brakes on long downhill grades.

So what truck you use to tow with, should influence your choices.

Edited by Painted Horse 2009-02-25 6:18 PM
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-02-26 12:16 AM (#100183 - in reply to #100120)

Veteran

My last trailer had Hydraulic brakes on it. It was a home made trailer (4H) and was fitted with ventelated discs on all 4 wheels..... the brakes were superb. We use our trailer in some mountanous areas and I can quite easily say that they are far superior to the magnetic standard units....

If you can afford them now - I would go for it. You will not be sorry.

Mine was fitted with a shut off valve just after the actuator - this meant that you could manually actuate the brakes, shut the valve off and whalla - you have a hand brake. (Not that that is esential - but I did use it on the odd occation.

I really liked my Hydraulic brakes - and my next trailer will definately have them fitted.... without a doubt.

Good luck

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-02-26 7:23 AM (#100188 - in reply to #100120)

I prefer the elec/hydraulic brakes on a LQ trailer. But we did not go to the expense of having them put on the 4H run around trailer since it is only 21' in the box.  I have had the elec/hydraulic brakes on several LQ trailers and do love them. They are much superior braking than just plain elec brakes. We have also had vacumn over hydraulic brakes on a LQ and hated those since you had to have a "thing" professionally mounted on the truck and have the hoses connected to the trailer. So, trucks were not interchangable unless they all had the installation. Not good for folks that like to drive new trucks regularly. If your trailer is over14K lbs loaded, I would spend the money for the elec/hydraulics. They really save tons on money on truck brakes. And, since trailer brakes are much cheaper than truck brakes, thats a good thing.
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-02-26 10:20 AM (#100200 - in reply to #100120)

Extreme Veteran

I've got them and they work well. I've had plenty of problems with electric brakes over the years but none so far with the electric/hydraulic. I don't know that I would pay the extra $$$ for them if it was a smaller trailer but I think the other weight suggestions posted above are about right.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)