'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
General DIY LQ Questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-17 9:44 AM
8 replies, 4599 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-02-16 7:20 PM (#99584)
Subject: General DIY LQ Questions

Veteran

Regarding cabinets: I know the depth I need my cabinets but how do I know the width to make them? I read about people buying ready made cabinet doors so do I have to buy my doors and then build my cabinets based on the door sizes or what???

I'm thinking I will paint my walls and ceiling and stain my cabinets and door/window frames. Has anyone ever seen a LQ with painted walls/ceiling and stained cabinets/door/window frames? If yes, did it look okay? I thought about staining the walls and the cabinets but that's just too much wood stain for my taste.

I know I've got several other questions but I can't think of them right now. I'll post them separately when I remember them!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-02-16 7:40 PM (#99585 - in reply to #99584)
Subject: RE: General DIY LQ Questions

Extreme Veteran

It would be much easier to install ready-made cabinets. You can go to a salvage store or recycle center and buy cabinets for very little money. Same for countertops and sinks. You don't have to invest in high-dollar cabinets from a specialty shop or home improvement store. If you are willing to spend a little time looking you can get some really good deals. Another source for cabinets is an RV junk yard.

Marla
Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-02-16 7:51 PM (#99586 - in reply to #99585)

Veteran

I agree it would be easier to install ready made cabinets but two things about doing that...one, I can't find any place in my area that has ready made cabinets that will fit in my small LQ, and two, it's *way* more expensive to buy ready made cabinets.

I wish we had a salvage store or a recycle center or an RV junk yard in my area but all we have are the big box type stores. :-(

Originally written by Marla on 2009-02-16 7:40 PM
It would be much easier to install ready-made cabinets. You can go to a salvage store or recycle center and buy cabinets for very little money. Same for countertops and sinks. You don't have to invest in high-dollar cabinets from a specialty shop or home improvement store. If you are willing to spend a little time looking you can get some really good deals. Another source for cabinets is an RV junk yard.
Marla

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-02-16 9:03 PM (#99589 - in reply to #99584)

Expert

The problem with sourcing any used RV cabinets is the lack of quality. Plus, the chances of finding good used ones of the right type and quantity for your needs, are even more difficult.

If you could find a wood worker that can custom build you the boxes and face frames you need, they can then be fitted with doors from Ebay. It takes a well equipped shop to build raised panel doors, but many basic wood workers with minimal tools can fabricate plywood boxes fairly easily. The face frames are easily fabricated with biscuts, dowels, pocket joinery or many wood working joints.

The doors require expensive routers/shapers, bits, planers, joiners and tables. It is not worth spending thousands of dollars for tools, to fabricate a couple hundred dollar job.

Ask any store selling wood working tools about their patrons. The Internet lists woodworking clubs, try school wood shop teachers etc. Home contractors sometimes site build their own cabinets, and many are now out of work. There should be someone you could hire. I could do it, but you're too far away.

BOL  Gard

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2009-02-16 9:28 PM (#99593 - in reply to #99584)

Extreme Veteran

If you do purchase stock doors from a home improvement store, you will need to decide on the amount of "overlay"...which is basically the amount the door is bigger than the opening. I factored 1/2" overlay when I built mine. You need to know these for two things, 1) the size of the opening and 2) the hinges.

Here's a link to my interior.

http://www.wyndancer.com/horse_trailer.html

Edited by wyndancer 2009-02-16 9:30 PM
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-02-16 10:43 PM (#99597 - in reply to #99584)

Veteran

I built my own boxes and purchased doors for this ebay site.  http://stores.ebay.com/DOORSANDPULLS_Cabinet-Doors_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ3QQftidZ2QQtZkm

The cabinet depth was shorter that a normal kitchen cabinet because I did not want to use up my floor space.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-02-17 7:02 AM (#99606 - in reply to #99584)

Expert

One of the biggest problems with stock cabinets is that they come in 3" increments.  And in a standard depth. These measurements may not give you the best utilization of the space you have available.  for example let say your wall length is 26 3/4" long.  Cabinets in 3" stock size will come in 24" and 27" size.  27" is too big and 24 is 2 3/4" smaller that what would fit.   You can use the 24" and loose the extra space.  Or you can have a custom box built that is exactly 26 3/4" and not waste any space.  In trailers we are concerned about not wasting any space.

The same goes for the depth of cabinets.  A standard 24" deep base cabinet may take up too much floor space and a standard 12" wall cabinets my not give you enough storage, when you might want a 18" deep cabinets which is non-standard.

It's not a big deal for a woodworker to make the cabinets the exact size needed. But it is impossible for Home Depot to stock in inventory every possible size. Once you have a cabinet box built the exact size you need, use stock door sizes.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-02-17 8:30 AM (#99611 - in reply to #99593)

Expert

Originally written by wyndancer on 2009-02-16 10:28 PM

Here's a link to my interior.

http://www.wyndancer.com/horse_trailer.html

Really nice job. Looks very neat and professional. Good utilization of space. You should be very proud of your craftmanship.

Gard

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2009-02-17 9:44 AM (#99619 - in reply to #99584)

Extreme Veteran

Gard,

I'd have to admit this site was crucial. There are some knowledgeable people here such as yourself, Bar, retento...others for sure.

I'm pretty confident in my mad skilz, but that was a big job! I have people wanting me to finish their trailer...no thanks, at least not how I'm set-up.

My wife thought I was nuts. She surely believed it would turn out like some nasty stuff you see on the trade-in lot. You know, those trailers that would sell for more if they didn't have an interior.

Thanks for the nice words........
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)