'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Electrical Problem-Bad Inverter?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-16 12:04 PM
13 replies, 5748 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-02-15 6:45 PM (#99507)
Subject: Electrical Problem-Bad Inverter?

What would cause new LQ trailer (owned it 10 months) to not receive electricity from campsite source and not allow batteries to stay charged? It is on its second set of batteries due to this being a problem about 8 months ago. Dealer replaced batteries, I had it checked for bad inverter...now same problem again this weekend. When plugged into a good 30 amp at a new horse campground, got enough electricity to run the nightlight and the little thingy that lights up to tell you that the power source at the campground is OK. I bought new trailer thinking I would not be buying someone else's troubles...so true-I bought some of my very own. Brand shall remain nameless. It is still under warranty, but do not know who to take it to in South or North Carolina and hoping for good advice from the members here. Thanks in advance. Deb W.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-02-15 6:51 PM (#99508 - in reply to #99507)
Subject: RE: Electrical Problem-Bad Inverter?

Extreme Veteran

Who installed the LQ?  You may try to call them directly.  They are usually very helpfull. 

How does it act when at home?  Is it different than the camp ground?

dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-02-15 6:56 PM (#99510 - in reply to #99508)

I emailed the manufacturer as soon as I got home from riding today. It worked fine at home when I plugged in the electric heater each night to keep things from freezing. I had not plugged it in because it has been warm here in SC for the last week or so. When I got to campground yesterday-no electricity. I had an LED light and of course, gas heat, so I was fine, just PO'd!
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-02-15 7:07 PM (#99511 - in reply to #99510)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by dweber2000 on 2009-02-15 6:56 PM

I emailed the manufacturer as soon as I got home from riding today. It worked fine at home when I plugged in the electric heater each night to keep things from freezing. I had not plugged it in because it has been warm here in SC for the last week or so. When I got to campground yesterday-no electricity. I had an LED light and of course, gas heat, so I was fine, just PO'd!

Are you saying that you did not have it plugged in for two weeks before you used it?  There are meters and gear on the net available to test the voltage at RV sites.  If the voltage was low in the camp ground and your batteries were low when you got there.  The converter may have not allowed you to charge on the supplied shore power.

You may also try at home shutting off your battery switch.  You may not need the batteries in your LQ when on Shore power.  My LQ does not and it saves the constant recharging.

Are you plugged in at home now?  Do you have a 12 volt cigarette type automotive plug in the LQ or access to the batteries?

In other words you need to learn to check your voltage.

No insults intended.  just all the nifty RV things we need to know with an LQ.

lindszo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-02-15 9:01 PM (#99521 - in reply to #99507)

Veteran

We had a strange problem with out electric and turned out to be a bad battery switch.... Got a new one and no more problems......
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-02-15 11:25 PM (#99530 - in reply to #99507)

Expert

A new trailer I bought in 2005 had an electrical problem.

I could plug it into a NON GFI circuit  and the elctrical worked.

If I plugged it in a circuit protected by a GFI it would pop the GFI.

The dealer and the manufacture had no idea of what was causing the problems. I had to wade through all the electrical circuits.  What I finaly found was that there was a Ground and Neutral wire touching on the back of the circuit breaker. So when I was plugged into something that was not protected by a GFI circuit everything in the trailer seemed to be working just fine. But if I plugged into a GFI it immediately pop'd. All the plugs in my garage and outside my home are GFI. So I was getting the imrpession that the trailer was popping all circuits.

Point being, is that sometimes when they are trying to push all those things into a new trailer. they might have bent a wire that is now shorting out or causing some other kind of problem. It may be a defective part that suffered an infant mortality on your first or second outing. So maybe it's not the manufactures fault, just a bad part. Once you find the problem everything will probably be just fine.  LQ just seem to need a few shake out trips to find the flaws and get them under control.

Edited by Painted Horse 2009-02-15 11:27 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-02-16 5:32 AM (#99534 - in reply to #99507)

Expert

So are just the batteries not getting charged? Do you have the other electrical circuits? Do outlets work? What you are going find is a converter that has 12 volt fuses like you would have in your car, and 110 volt breakers like you would have in your house. If your outlets/AC ect work then the 110 volt side is good, if the batteries are going dead after the weekend then the 12 volt fuses on the charging side may be blown, or the charging circuit (110 volt) of the converter is not working, it may be the wire is not in the breaker, or the breaker is tripped. If you are not familiar with electric circuits then take it to someone who is. Two things to remember about electricity, 1. You can't see it. 2. It will kill you.

dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-02-16 6:35 AM (#99535 - in reply to #99507)

Batteries are dead after driving it home on Sunday and circuits would not pull an electric heater on Friday when I arrived. They did pull the nightlight in the bathroom, but that is all. I am going somewhere today to get it looked at because it is going to be 27 degrees tonight. Thanks for all your suggestions. Will pass them along. Deb
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-16 8:03 AM (#99538 - in reply to #99535)

Expert

Originally written by dweber2000 on 2009-02-16 7:35 AM

Batteries are dead after driving it home on Sunday and circuits would not pull an electric heater on Friday when I arrived. They did pull the nightlight in the bathroom, but that is all. I am going somewhere today to get it looked at because it is going to be 27 degrees tonight. Thanks for all your suggestions. Will pass them along. Deb

Batteries are dead after driving it home on Sunday and circuits would not pull an electric heater on Friday

Are you trying to run a 110 volt heater, off the batteries and inverter????????????

dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-02-16 8:30 AM (#99543 - in reply to #99507)

I am not trying to run anything off batteries. There is no electricity to run electric heater and no battery charge at all, even after driving with trailer, which should at least have recharged batteries. Trailer and batteries useless at this point...all I have is gas heat.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-16 10:56 AM (#99553 - in reply to #99507)

Expert

How many hours did you dive pulling the trailer. If you think that by driving down the road will recharge your batteries, then think again. If they are fully charged it may just top them off while the truck is running.... The batteries need to be charged, with a "Battery Charger". If they are way down, weak, discharged, you would probably have to drive to the west coast and back to ever get them fully charged. Is the charger working? Is there a switch between 110 volt and the 12 volt inverter? Are your batteries full of electrolite? Is/does your dealer not know what the problem is? Who replaced the batteries 8 months ago? Is this trailer not under warranty? What make is this trailer? Folks on here ar trying to help you, but there's pieces and things missing from your story. Contact your dealer...

You say.... Batteries are dead after driving it home on Sunday and circuits would not pull an electric heater on Friday

Then you say.... I am not trying to run anything off batteries. There is no electricity to run electric heater and no battery charge at all, even after driving with trailer, which should at least have recharged batteries. Trailer and batteries useless at this point...all I have is gas heat.

I'm a little slow, can't quite figure out what wrong with your rig other that a blown fuse, tripped breaker, switches not in the proper position, dead batteries, etc...

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-02-16 11:21 AM (#99554 - in reply to #99543)

Expert

Originally written by dweber2000 on 2009-02-16 8:30 AM

...all I have is gas heat.

You won't have gas heat without charged batteries because the fan won't run. Trailer being towed by truck will not charge batteries.

dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-02-16 11:58 AM (#99556 - in reply to #99553)

Well, shucks. I'm a little slow too, which is why I wrote the darn question to this. Thanks but if I want to get insulted and talked-down to I'll just run it right over to my local repair shop. At least they'll have to say it right to my face.
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2009-02-16 12:04 PM (#99557 - in reply to #99554)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by HWBar on 2009-02-16 11:21 AM

Originally written by dweber2000 on 2009-02-16 8:30 AM

...all I have is gas heat.

It's pretty hard to go through a diagnostic list of possible problems - solutions - and trial and error - on a bulletin board.  It's also very hard to describe situations . . especially when it's electrical.

Our best advice is to see a professional.  Some of us want to help so bad . . . . we won't quite till we have all the answers.

You won't have gas heat without charged batteries because the fan won't run. Trailer being towed by truck will not charge batteries.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)