'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Wheel Lock

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-08 4:34 PM
22 replies, 10868 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

RCK
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-02-01 9:39 AM (#98605)
Subject: Trailer Wheel Lock

Have any of you had any experience with this trailer lock?

Equipment Lock Company, Heavy Duty Wheel Lock (HDWL)

http://www.equipmentlock.com/hdwl_home.asp

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-02-01 2:02 PM (#98609 - in reply to #98605)
Subject: RE: Trailer Wheel Lock

Expert

A school buddy of mine hacksawed the police parking enforcement boot (similar device) off his car.  It only took a few minutes while we watched and laughed. 

An unused lock is worthless, so if this allows you to unfailingly use it, it's worth the $180.

Otherwise a grade 7 chain and strong padlock will provide the same protection.  (A few minutes of theft delay)

RCK
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-02-02 11:37 AM (#98641 - in reply to #98605)

hosspuller, thanks. It occurred to me that a hacksaw might defeat this lock. I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to protect my trailer. Coupler locks seem useless (even when you have the extra lock for the leveling bolts). Other than a wheel lock of some type and removing your crank handle on the jack, I can't really think of anything. Can you? Can anybody?
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-02-02 12:01 PM (#98646 - in reply to #98605)

There are some better wheel locks out there. Look at some of these. www.tirelock.com One thing to keep in mind is all you are trying to do is slow them down. Nothing makes it theft proof, but you can make it difficult enough for them so they move on to the next trailer.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-02 12:33 PM (#98647 - in reply to #98605)

Expert

On your gooseneck.... Lower that trailer before you remove the crank.... Then at least they can't get the truck under it without raising it first. It will take too long to get it jacked back up.... Might get caught in the act!! 

With the trailer still jacked up, you can use a long phillips screwdriver through the jack handle mount bolt hole or a pipe wrench to lower the trailer tongue down on your trailers spare tire that's been thrown over the trucks hitch ball in the truck bed (rim goes over the ball with the outside of the rim facing down). This trailer spare is used over the ball because you got the latching mechanism all locked up with those fancy locks so it won't sit down on the ball. The trailer will slip around a little...But, I don't have time to get everything just right. I've got to GO, you may drive up at anytime. The truck rim will fit over the ball and the trailer hitch will sit down in the rim. You can't latch it but unless you jump a big ditch or something it will sit right there.... In about 1/4th the time it took for me to write this I could have stolen your trailer and been long gone.... And I'm in a wheelchair!! Just make sure your seperate trailer insurance (that insurace you got to cover your trailer when it's not hooked to the truck) is going to pay you for your trailer and all the LQ stuff you've added. Be sure your tack you got stored in there is insured also.

Yor best bet is to somehow, lock a wheel...... Or remove three wheels and the spare and let the trailer down low on blocks!!. I keep at least one of my trailers hooked to the truck all the time, all they'll need is the truck key and they'll have the "total package"!!

Good luck locking your trailer up. I don't think there's a good way.... Most of those locks are for honest folks.

P.S.  If your trailer takes missing and there's wheelchair tracks all around..... It wasn't me, I didn't do it!!

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-02-02 1:13 PM (#98648 - in reply to #98605)

Retento hit it right on the head. Locks are for honest people, so the best locking solution is three locks. Coupler lock in combination with the coupler bolt locks, a jack lock, and a wheel lock. Too many things there for them to take time.

If you saw someone hooking up a trailer, you would probably never look twice at them. If you saw them hacksawing a wheel lock and a jack lock, it would catch your attention.

The most important thing that Retento touched on...keep your insurance up to date on the trailer!

RCK
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-02-02 2:25 PM (#98651 - in reply to #98605)

Tresvolte, Thanks for the web site. Those wheel locks look more substantial than the HDWL I was considering. You mentioned a jack lock - is it the trailer bullet? http://www.trailerbullet.com/trailer_bullet.htm

retento, thanks. The "spare tire and rim over the ball hitch ploy" would seem to render all coupler locks useless. Also, in your opinion, would a tight fitting lock (meaning no shank they could put a screwdriver thru) locked thru the jack handle holes help prevent the jacking up of the trailer with a pair of Vice grips or screw driver? My trailer insurance covers theft and comprehensive while it is parked - but I still like my trailer and don't want it stolen!
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-02-02 2:55 PM (#98656 - in reply to #98605)

Elite Veteran

Depending on what kind of wheels you have on your trailer, you can always run a chain/padlock through the wheel/wheels to the frame, or to each tire.  If I'm going to leave my trailer unattended for any length of time, I chain the tandem wheels together on one side so that both tires on the that side won't turn and have to slide if someone tries to steal the trailer when I'm not around.  If you have fancy wheels, a really strong cable with swedged eyelets and padlock will work just as well, maybe better?

deranger

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-02-02 3:04 PM (#98659 - in reply to #98651)

That is it. It is actually the only one that I know of. It will make Retento's screwdriver useless. My opinion as far as the coupler locks ago...it's main purpose is to make them realize it is locked. A sledge and a wedge will break them in a heartbeat. But with the tire and wheel it doesn't have to be broken.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-02 3:20 PM (#98660 - in reply to #98651)

Expert

Originally written by RCK on 2009-02-02 3:25 PM

Tresvolte, Thanks for the web site. Those wheel locks look more substantial than the HDWL I was considering. You mentioned a jack lock - is it the trailer bullet? http://www.trailerbullet.com/trailer_bullet.htm retento, thanks. The "spare tire and rim over the ball hitch ploy" would seem to render all coupler locks useless. Also, in your opinion, would a tight fitting lock (meaning no shank they could put a screwdriver thru) locked thru the jack handle holes help prevent the jacking up of the trailer with a pair of Vice grips or screw driver? My trailer insurance covers theft and comprehensive while it is parked - but I still like my trailer and don't want it stolen!

Someone makes a lock that you use on the crank handle, landing gear, gear box... Don't yet remember where I seen that one. It clamps around the shaft near the gear box, preventing the shaft from turning.

DUH!! Ya'll done found it... Trailer Bullet

Edited by retento 2009-02-02 3:23 PM
RCK
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-02-02 3:26 PM (#98661 - in reply to #98605)

deranger, I had wondered about chaining or cabling 2 tandem wheels on the same side together as you suggested.....my wheels are not fancy. But they have only small openings (holes about the size of a silver dollar) and the thought of a strong cable and padlock sounded appealing compared to a $200 wheel lock. That is, until I remembered bolt cutters. And, as you said, the 2 wheels on one side that were chained or cabled could still slide.

Tresvolte, I've got a call into Charles at Trailer Bullet. There is some question about the clearance needed between the jack rod (where you install the bullet) and my trailer front wall. There may not be enough room for the jack rod to turn even before you install the slide locking barrels.
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-02-02 8:23 PM (#98672 - in reply to #98605)

Extreme Veteran

P.S.  If your trailer takes missing and there's wheelchair tracks all around..... It wasn't me, I didn't do it!!

I am still working on this image (Lots of Ice and snow out there 4x4??)

(Our 7 lb Yorkie is a 6 inch high terror and my wife's Appy is just about the nastiest creature you will come across)

But seriously.  Is theft a big thing?  Or is it generalized to specific areas?  Should I be worried in my yard or on the road?  I am really not worried in my yard.    I never disconnect when on the road or in the woods.  Well have not yet anyhow.

I would be devastated.  I do carry a coupler lock but have never used it.  I have a 3/8 chain and a hand full of master padlocks for my generator and access doors.

You got me thinkin.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-02 8:36 PM (#98674 - in reply to #98605)

Expert

Keep on thinkin!!! Sheriff's dept. is laying off deputies. Police are laying off folks.... More and more bad guys... Money getting harder to come by. Big ole hunk of tin trailer would bring some good cash down at the junk/scrap yard.  If it ain't locked down or nailed down, it may be gone in 60 seconds, chopped up, sent to China, to only be returned as steel belts in their crappy tires.

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-02-03 3:04 PM (#98722 - in reply to #98661)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by RCK on 2009-02-02 4:26 PM

deranger, I had wondered about chaining or cabling 2 tandem wheels on the same side together as you suggested.....my wheels are not fancy. But they have only small openings (holes about the size of a silver dollar) and the thought of a strong cable and padlock sounded appealing compared to a $200 wheel lock. That is, until I remembered bolt cutters.

When was the last time you tried to cut through a cable with a pair of bolt cutters?  I think I would rather sort mountain lions from wild cats in a phone booth than cut a cable with a bolt cutter! 

deranger

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-02-03 4:01 PM (#98729 - in reply to #98605)

Extreme Veteran

I am glad we are having this discussion.. as I have a two horse BP that I have parked in my driveway that I have concerns about.  I have a lock on the hitch, but as stated, for honest folks or petty theives that don't want to dink with that, but the real big boys probably would have no problems with it.

I still may get a wheel lock and put the cable in the tires, would that be more of a deterrent?  Plus get a driveway alarm so that it would wake me up, as do the dogs.. they are a big help there.

Jbsny

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-02-03 6:15 PM (#98742 - in reply to #98729)

Expert

Originally written by Jbsny on 2009-02-03 1:01 PM

I am glad we are having this discussion.. as I have a two horse BP that I have parked in my driveway that I have concerns about.  I have a lock on the hitch, but as stated, for honest folks or petty theives that don't want to dink with that, but the real big boys probably would have no problems with it.

I still may get a wheel lock and put the cable in the tires, would that be more of a deterrent?  Plus get a driveway alarm so that it would wake me up, as do the dogs.. they are a big help there.

Jbsny

A wheel lock or cable through the wheels is another layer of delay.  A thief balances delay with getting caught.  So another layer WOULD be a deterrent.

I consider the driveway alarm (I have one) ... a layer of personal protection.  If you're not home to hear it, it doesn't deter anybody.  But if you're home, it alerts YOU to a visitor.  Welcome or not.

RCK
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-02-03 6:22 PM (#98745 - in reply to #98605)

deranger, I did cut a cable holding down a snowmobile once....someone lost the key to the lock - we weren't stealing it. It wasn't a lot of fun but it can be done.

Maybe the appealing thing about a wheel lock is that it is highly visible. Maybe the would be thief sees it and it makes him more honest - or he moves on to another, easier target.

I wonder what would happen if he didn't see a cable going thru the tandem wheels on one side of a trailer, hooked the trailer up, and took off down the road? How ugly would that be? Could he even drag it away?
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-02-04 10:44 AM (#98780 - in reply to #98745)

Elite Veteran

If a thief stole the trailer with the wheels tied together, he would probably get caught!  Is he going to try to turn around and park it back where it was?  NO!  Is he going to keep driving and hope nobody notices, like a law enforcement officer on patrol and wondering why the wheels are not turning on that trailer? Probably.  Is he going to take the time to try to cut the cable while he's sitting on the side of the road with the flashers on drawing a lot attention to himself? Maybe. 

deranger

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-04 11:39 AM (#98790 - in reply to #98780)

Expert

Originally written by deranger on 2009-02-04 11:44 AM

If a thief stole the trailer with the wheels tied together, he would probably get caught!  Is he going to try to turn around and park it back where it was?  NO!  Is he going to keep driving and hope nobody notices, like a law enforcement officer on patrol and wondering why the wheels are not turning on that trailer? Probably.  Is he going to take the time to try to cut the cable while he's sitting on the side of the road with the flashers on drawing a lot attention to himself? Maybe. 

deranger

Should be easy enough to locate... Just follow the black dotted line!! LOL!

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-02-07 7:44 AM (#98974 - in reply to #98605)

Expert

If your trailer costs enough...http://www.lojack.com/
Wild Bill
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-02-07 7:09 PM (#99001 - in reply to #98974)

Regular

When I had my Harley I used a 1/2'' case harden stainless steel chain plus a case harden American lock. Was told that the chain would have to be heated red hot to cut it with a bolt cutters. Not alot of people carry around cutting torches.
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-02-07 8:06 PM (#99005 - in reply to #98605)

Extreme Veteran

How much of a problem is large lq thief?  Most of the places we go are private camps with pretty good neighbors.  What would they do with it if they stole it?

RCK
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-02-08 4:34 PM (#99038 - in reply to #98605)

Thanks to all of you who responded - you had great ideas and comments. After weighing all the options, here was my decision.

1. Wheel lock, http://www.equipmentlock.com/hdwl_home.asp
2. Locked cable through the tandem wheels on one side
3. Removed the jack handle after lowering the trailer; then put a locked cable through the bolt hole so a screw driver couldn't be used to raise the trailer

If someone wants to hang around long enough to defeat all of this, they can have the trailer - it's insured. Thanks again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)