'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
welds on ramp of my Hart

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-12-30 3:43 PM
5 replies, 5051 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lamiam
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2008-12-30 10:54 AM (#96681)
Subject: welds on ramp of my Hart

Hi.

I have a 95 Hart large 2 horse bumper pull straight load aluminum trailer with a dressing room. I am the original owner and have always been pretty good with maintenance. The trailer gets used about once a month and gets rinsed and dried after each use.  I was preparing to load my mare on Saturday when I noticed that the ramp did not look level. When I lifted it, I was that a weld had broken on the first hinge. By the time I got the ramp up, all but on had popped.

I am looking into getting them re-welded, but wanted to find out if there might be a cause for this or if there is something more I could do to fixed them?  It did seem like the ramp was getting harder to lift. I wonder if the springs should be replaced?  Maybe lifting it with bad springs ruined the welds? 

Thanks.

Lori from Florida.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-12-30 11:23 AM (#96686 - in reply to #96681)
Subject: RE: welds on ramp of my Hart

Expert

The hinges have to carry the weight of the ramp regardless of the springs' condition. The hinges may be small in size or had poor welds. A good fabricator should be able to determine and effect a fix, that will eliminate any future problems.

Most tail gates are counter balanced enough, that they can be lifted with one hand. A broken hinge would add to this effort. I would wait until the hinge situation is resolved before you consider any spring changes. The repairs may alleviate the additional resistance.

If they are not now fitted, the fabricator can usually drill and tap holes for the installation of zerk fittings. Grease can then be applied, which will help prevent galling and possible breakage and binding of the hinges.

BOL  Gard

windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-12-30 11:45 AM (#96687 - in reply to #96686)

Originally written by gard on 2008-12-30 10:23 AM

The hinges have to carry the weight of the ramp regardless of the springs' condition. The hinges may be small in size or had poor welds. A good fabricator should be able to determine and effect a fix, that will eliminate any future problems.

Most tail gates are counter balanced enough, that they can be lifted with one hand. A broken hinge would add to this effort. I would wait until the hinge situation is resolved before you consider any spring changes. The repairs may alleviate the additional resistance.

If they are not now fitted, the fabricator can usually drill and tap holes for the installation of zerk fittings. Grease can then be applied, which will help prevent galling and possible breakage and binding of the hinges.

BOL  Gard

I would bet having grease zerks put in and greasing your hinges once in a while will take care of your problem once your hinges are repaired.

lamiam
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2008-12-30 11:52 AM (#96688 - in reply to #96681)

Thanks. I forgot that my sister's blacksmith does trailer repairs. So I talked to him. He agrees that the hinge might have been getting stiff. I have regularly tried to spray a lithium grease lub in there, but the spacing is so tight that I doubt any gets in.  I will ask him about the zerk fittings.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-12-30 12:10 PM (#96689 - in reply to #96681)

Expert

On tight hinges without an external greasing point, you will need a viscous fluid to lubricate the moving parts. Grease will only stay on the surfaces and not lubricate the internal moving parts.

For years I've used synthetic automatic transmission fluid for all of my trailers' hinges and moving parts. It doesn't wash out as easily as petroleum based products; it protects the bare metal from rust and corrosion, and it penetrates well into small tight spaces. Draining the left over in the bottom of the product bottles, from a transmission fluid change, is enough to last for years. Save a syringe or two from your horse's last round of shots. You'll find it is an excellent applicator.

Gard

lamiam
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2008-12-30 3:43 PM (#96698 - in reply to #96681)

Thanks I will use this in the future...after I get the darn thing fixed.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)