'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sundowner Update

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-09-26 7:40 PM
13 replies, 9183 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trlmaven
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-08-21 12:04 PM (#90114)
Subject: Sundowner Update

As many of you have heard, there are changes in the Sundowner dealer group and Sundowner corporate. To make sure the information is accurate, here is an update of what is happening:
Sundowner Interiors group is moving from Elkhart Indiana to Coleman Oklahoma. This will save the freight cost of moving the trailer between the 2 plants.
Sundowner of Ohio, the company owned store in London, has closed its service depatment and the sales department will be closing after Congress.
For those of you who need warranty support, trailer service or are considering purchasing a Sundowner trailer, the nearest dealer is
Trailers America
2300 E Kemper Rd
Cincinnati OH 45241
toll free (800) 466-4470
local (513) 771-1810
email trailers@fuse.net
website www.trailersamerica.com
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
billmrmi
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-09-12 1:15 PM (#91389 - in reply to #90114)
Subject: RE: Sundowner Update

You really have to wonder what long term effect these closures of large Sundowner trailer outlets will have in the marketplace.  With Milbrook going out, now Sundowner closing this store and other Sundowner dealers not doing well, how will this effect the value of a Sundowner trailer?  Frequently you see dealers selling Sundowner trailers for dealer invoice.  Selling at cost cannot keep the doors open long term.  If these outlets continue to close, these trailers will flood the market at financial institution, fire-sale prices.  What level will Sundowner trailers price deflate to?  My initial guess is 30%, but only the market will decide based on the amount of distressed inventory that is available.

Any thoughts on this deflation??  Is it possible that there will be no deflation at all??

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-09-12 3:42 PM (#91397 - in reply to #90114)

Expert

My unofficial opinion is this, I was buying a couple of trailers a year installing LQ's and selling them. I had been doing this since 1999 and making some real good money. I was clearing $8,000-$10,000 per trailer(pretty good part-time work). Of course I had to tie up my cash for the 60-90 days it takes me to build one. I often commented that this was an area that someone could still make some real profit, I began to notice last year that you could buy some of these off-brand trailers for less than I was used to seeing LQ's priced for. Long story short I think they came in and "stunk" up the business, you are now seeing "name brand" trailers priced very low, in an effort to compete. The trailer manufacturers that are still running on "lean standards" will be fine, but the ones that are trying to live the "fat life" will wither away. I still feel there is a market for a well built product at a "fair price" Sundowner had lowered there manufacturing standards(lots of steel frame models) but were trying to maintain a higher price point. Logic would say they had built a business model around a price point that is unsustainable with the trailers they were making(add in a big warranty issue) and ala. They owned the market 10-15 years ago, look how many new brands have shown up in the last 10-15 years.
Buckwild
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-13 9:06 AM (#91422 - in reply to #90114)

Trailers of America ????.....sorry, not going to travel clear to Cincinnati for service ...plus word of mouth is not good when it comes to the service department there.....the guys at Sundowner of Ohio were great !!!.....guess I was just spoiled with the level of service I got from them....it is going to be hard to go anywhere else....
daisycake123
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-13 8:30 PM (#91451 - in reply to #90114)

Just talked to a friend who sells all brands of trailers and she said Sundowner is just cutting back until after the recession sand she did not think that they where going under and thought they would to be able to honor warranties. Also that thet laid of over 75 people at the plant and let all sales people but 2 to service all dealers.

Edited by daisycake123 2008-09-14 8:27 PM
billmrmi
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-09-17 6:58 PM (#91675 - in reply to #90114)

I agree that the flood of less expensive trailers has diluted the market and forced dealers selling high end product to reduce margins. 

I doubt Sundowner will go out, I am speaking about the dealers that carry Sundowner closing down.  It will really depend on Sundowner's fixed cost structure, which we already see them taking measures to reduce fixed costs.  We have seen two of the largest stores in the Midwest close. It seems to me there could be a domino effect as this distressed Sundowner inventory continues to hit the market it is likely to further hamper the dealers ability to sell, even at the break even points we see many Sundowner dealer advertising at today.  I liken this effect to what we have seen in the housing markets the past couple years; a flood of inventory that cannot be sold and prices continuing to drive downward because more distressed inventory continues to hit the market.  I liken this to the housing market because the foreclosures continue to hit the market and banks are taking larger and larger losses to get these assets off the books.  If this is the case, I think we are only in the early stages of seeing this Sundowner value deflation.

I believe that we will see larger deflation on the high end (100k+) Sundowners because the price deflation is more due to the added risk of bringing on this inventory.

On a positive note, I thought that maybe the Sundowner market will be large enough to absorb this, but I think only time will tell.  The more dealers that close, if any more dealers close at all, will be the real factor in my unofficial opinion.

Has anyone, other than me, considered any of this?

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-09-17 8:24 PM (#91680 - in reply to #90114)

Expert

I couldn't agree more, just look through the inventories on this site, I bet there are 20 Sundowners listed on here at $100K or better. I would hate to be the dealer paying floorplan interest on those. The people who borrowed 20 years on a $75K trailer with less than perfect credit don't stand so much to loose right now that there trailer is only worth $35K and they still have 225 payments to go. I don't blame the lenders, because it took two to dance at this party. Until this excess inventory is flushed out, I don't see much relief, that could take years. Add in Sundowners big warranty issue right now, and it looks bleak for them, if they have a good management team in place they will survive, if they are dependant upon large margins to stay afloat they are in trouble.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-09-18 11:49 AM (#91721 - in reply to #90114)

Elite Veteran

I figure Retento will jump in here with full breakdown, but there are 179 trailers on HTW over $100K. 64 are Sundowner, 35 Bloomer, and others fill in the rest. A lot of '07s still listed. I'm thinking this can't be a good sign.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-09-18 12:31 PM (#91724 - in reply to #90114)

I also think somewhat along the lines as Bill.  The economy is hurting the big trailer market. 

I am shopping for my dream trailer but am having a hard time finding exactly what I want and don't want to order. I am prepared to spend the money for the right trailer which will definately be in the 100k+ range. But,  I am going to the bigger events and just seeing the same big trailers. I am being told that hardly no dealers are building big ones for the fall shows to speculate on.  Then there is also the problem of getting a good trade price for a barely used upper end trailer.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-09-18 1:03 PM (#91728 - in reply to #91721)

Expert

Originally written by horsey1 on 2008-09-18 12:49 PM

I figure Retento will jump in here with full breakdown, but there are 179 trailers on HTW over $100K. 64 are Sundowner, 35 Bloomer, and others fill in the rest. A lot of '07s still listed. I'm thinking this can't be a good sign.

You got that right BREAKDOWN!! Been working on trailer lights most of the day. These L.E.D.'s that have gotten moisture inside.... No workie!!

Too many trailer to count, 179 over 100K.... That's alot of money tied up. I think you'll see more mfg. closings, auctions, bank forclosures soon. Nobody's buying alot of whole goods. Market is flooded with new and nice new trailers. When everybody started building aluminum trailers years ago, most everyone bought one, two or three of them. All the companies ramped up production, now everyone has a nice trailer that will last forever and aren't buying a new one every five years because the old one rusted away.... Wonder what kind of effect the presidential election will have on future trailer sales. Is now a good time to buy? Wait till the second week in November? Looks like a good time to buy a truck.... But even with all the discounts some up to 15K, they still cost too dang much!!

May be some good deals for someone that has CASH for one of these new 2005, 2006 and 2007 model trailers.... Would hate to buy a new trailer and have to go buy new tires for it only because the ones on there are 5-6 years old... And the're starting to dry rot. Here's a new 2 horse SL, LQ, 2005 8010 Sundowner.. 

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=44489

billmrmi
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-09-23 2:35 PM (#91977 - in reply to #90114)

The high end market has not been as weak as the middle markets.  The 75K+ trailers are still selling at about the same pace.  People who are trying to trade in high end trailers bought in 2004 & 2005 are seeing the gap widen between their purchase price to trade value because of two reasons:

1.  Back in 2004, 2005 and a little in to 2006, most premium manufacturers were taking 16+ weeks to build a trailer and the premium conversion companies were also in a similar time frame, so dealers had very little incentive to discount.  Dealers knew if they sold one of these units during the season that they would not have the opportunity to build and sell the unit again, so they held margins high, thus the purchases of trailers in this time frame were at a premium.

2.  Margins have eroded since 2006 and therefore dealers have less profit in the deals to write back to a trade.  Our philosophy has always been to price trailers fair and offer a fair trade value, not to over inflate our prices, stick it to the non-trade customers and offer ridiculous trade values to those with trades.  This practice has not always worked out for us. Some people are just fixed on their trade values or people think we are trying to steal their trade when in fact they are getting a mediocre deal because of the inflation of the front end price.  If there was a real source for horse trailer values, like NADA, this could curb this practice.

We have ordered a couple new 15' LQs for shows, but nothing extravagant or to past years levels. 

Rope123
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-09-25 5:04 PM (#92107 - in reply to #90114)

Just wondering has anyone heard anything on the lay-off at Outlaw Conversions?  I heard it was about a third of their shop employees.  I know they are one the nicest living quarters out there.  It scares me about the market if they are laying people off.   They are a pretty big LQ company. 
funinthesun
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-09-26 4:04 PM (#92153 - in reply to #92107)

I was just at Outlaw getting my LQ serviced and they had trailers everywhere. The service guy said they had been busy and were looking for more good employees to stay up with their orders. From the way it looked and what he said I don't think they have had any layoffs or plan too.
billmrmi
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-09-26 7:40 PM (#92160 - in reply to #90114)

If that post wasn't such a thinly veiled, pathetic attempt to tarnish Outlaw's good name, it would be funny.  That person registered brand new just to post that garbage.  Completely anonymous too.  

I spoke with John Walker (John runs Outlaw) and we both had a good laugh.  It takes 5-6 weeks right now just to get a trailer in to production and another 7 weeks to convert a basic trailer, so Outlaw is 12-13 weeks out.  Would you be laying off people if you had a 13 week backlog?

Obviously someone has an axe to grind. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)