'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
lots of questions re: tow vehicle/first trailer purchase

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-23 2:14 PM
15 replies, 5726 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

darlyn
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-06 2:29 PM (#86933)
Subject: lots of questions re: tow vehicle/first trailer purchase

I confess....I'm a complete and total horse trailer newbie.

My daughter is at a point in her riding career (she's an eventer) where trailering with her coach isn't always going to work for us.  It's already a pain to plan our lives around theirs.  We're thinking that within the next year or so we should get our own trailer and I really want to make sure I'm heading down the right path.

My plan was to buy a truck, I was thinking the Tundra Crew Max, then the trailer.  We'll buy some sort of 2H bumper pull light-weight variety yet to be determined.  I currently drive an '04 Sequoia 4WD with tow package.  My husband thinks that's enough truck to pull a light weight horse trailer with one horse (and the tack obviously) and that we don't need to wait until we can afford a new truck AND trailer.  Jess has a 16 hand TB... just over 1000 lbs. 

We live in Delaware and would do most of our traveling in Area II. We probably average 3 or so hours to shows but some can be up to 6 or more.

My questions are:

Is the Sequoia enough?

I've read 25 pages of the appropriate threads here and it seems like the SUV pulling horse trailer option is not a popular one.  I'm sure it's not the best option, but is it reasonable?

If not the Sequoia, how about the Tundra?

I've gotten a vibe from a few comments here that the Tundra isn't all the truck it claims to be.

The rest of my questions are just general how to go about buying your first trailer ones.  Nothing specific.  Just wondering if there's some sort of Trailering for Dummies guide out there.  What to look for?  Brands to buy/steer clear of?  etc etc.

Another tidbit.  My youngest, she's 8, is also a beginning eventer and going out to starter trials.  She doesn't have her own horse yet but I'm sure in the future I'll be hauling two horses.  I know the Sequoia wont be enough then but does this change the type/brand of trailer I should look for?

Thanks in advance!  I stumbled on this site yesterday and you all seem like experts!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-07-06 3:45 PM (#86936 - in reply to #86933)
Subject: RE: lots of questions re: tow vehicle/first trailer purchase

Expert

I am no expert but I have bought a few trailers and trucks over the years. I have figured out it can be more expensive to buy less than what you need now and try to upgrade later especially when later might be just a few short years down the road.

IMO- I would look for a 3/4 ton (at least) pick-up and find a good, solid GN trailer.I prefer all aluminum but thats me. I GN simply pulls better than a BP and you can get more room for tack and people even with a simple dressing room. Added with the payload of a pick-up ( for hay,buckets and bedding) you can have the room you need now and later when your youngest starts coming along.

I have no real preference towards brands of trailers- i would figure out what i would need and want in the way of features and comforts ( for both humans and animals) how much I can spend and start from there. Ditto for the truck as well but I drive a Ford, love it and would be hard pressed to drive dodge or chevy. But thats neither here nor there its what suits your needs and budget.

Its not much different that shopping for a horse- find one that suits your needs,within budget and something you can lvie with for while.

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-07-06 4:00 PM (#86938 - in reply to #86933)

Extreme Veteran

I was going to say something similar to the previous post...it ends up much more expensive to find out you didn't buy what you need and have to upgrade. It's kind of like saddles.....

I'm not fond of most SUV's for pulling trailers either but did haul a friend's 2 horse with a Suburban for several years when we were eventing together. It pulled the trailer very well. I think some of the really large SUV's may work ok but you can't beat a good pick-up regardless of make. I'm not a big expert in the vehicle dept either but I shoot for a bit of overkill as it makes me feel a bit safer. I haul a large GN living quarter and I have a 2 horse bumper pull.

When looking for a trailer, you may consider something like 7'6" for your taller horse. You would also probably enjoy a dressing room. I love goosenecks but a well built bumper pull is fine too. Look at lots of trailers when you go to shows and at the configurations. I personally do not like a trailer with mangers but some people do and it gives you an extra space for saddles. Be sure whatever you buy has plenty of ventilation for your horse. You might lean towards a GN as it will tow better on the longer hauls and give you the extra space as mentioned before. For a two horse, I personally prefer a straight load to a slant unless the slant is 8 wide. If your horse is of the longer variety, he may feel a bit tight in a smaller slant. There are so many options to consider. Ask lots of questions of the people you show with and look at their rigs. Then you can make an informed decision. 

Good luck!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-07-06 4:52 PM (#86940 - in reply to #86933)

Expert

Sure you can pull a smaller horse trailer with one horse behind a SUV. Many folks do.

The reason you don't hear many folks talk about SUV pulling trailers is two fold.

Most SUV's are 1/2 ton or lighter. Only the GM Suburban and the Ford Excursion ( no longer built) are truely 3/4 ton vehicles. A 1/2 ton is a little lite as a tow vehicle.

Second. A SUV will not pull a Gooseneck trailer.  If you purchase a pickup you have the option of towing either a bumper pull or a gooseneck. The pickup gives you extra storage, a place to throw bales of hay, water etc for your trips.

If you are comfortable that a 2 horse bumper pull will meet your needs, Then yes the SUV may work just fine for you. A Chevy 1500 or a Ford F150 are pretty much the same running gear as a 1/2 ton Suburban or Expedition.  So there is no reason they shouldn't tow as well as similar equiped light duty pickup. When I first got back into horses I had a F150 and pulled a 3 horse slant load Bumper Pull with two horses.  It worked hard to get up some of the grades we have around here. My friends in their Diesel with GN all flew by. As time went by I bought a  diesel and then a GN trailer.  The comfort in towing a load of horses is so much better with the heavier trucks and GN trailers. As energy cost soar and concerns about how much of a carbon footprint I leave rise, I suspect we will see more folks decide that they don't need to take as many horses or as much stuff with them when the travel with their horses. Your decision will be what can you afford (both in up front cost and ongoing cost to use) and what will serve your needs.

kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-07-06 5:29 PM (#86941 - in reply to #86933)

Take a look at the Brenderup trailers, they will meet your needs.

http://www.mrtrailer.com/brenderup.htm

http://www.brenderuprealtrailers.com/frames/index.htm

Edited by kentuckyrain 2008-07-06 5:39 PM
Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-07-06 8:08 PM (#86954 - in reply to #86933)

Veteran

I think a lot depends on how often you will be trailering, and how far you will be going. If you will be going to Events every other weekend (or more) and you'll be going long distances, I think it would make sense to purchase a big truck/trailer package.However, if you might go to four Events in a Summer and you won't be traveling very far, I think you can make due with an SUV, which is more 'family friendly'. IMO, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to purchase a huge pick-up truck that you will only use to haul a horse trailer (unless, like I said, you will be hauling a LOT).Now, if money is no object, then I would purchase a pick-up and a gooseneck, but since $$$$ is an object for most of us, we can't afford to have a car/suv that we use as a daily driver, and a big pick-up sitting in the driveway for when we haul.I like the Suburban idea. I hauled to Events/Dressage shows for years w/ a Suburban and it worked out great. There is plenty of room for the kids and their stuff, you can have rear A/C in the hot Summer and the Suburban's aren't bad to drive every day, I did for over 15 yrs.I also would vote for the Brenderup and a smaller SUV. I've owned 2 Brenderups over the years and enjoyed them very much (in fact I'm looking for one now, I wish I hadn't sold my last one!).This is all just my opinion. I've ridden/shown/hauled horses for 25+ yrs. and never owned a pick-up to do it with. I've always felt safe using an SUV, with proper equip. (stabilizer bars and equalizer hitch).Good luck! This is a great forum to learn from!!Deirdre MarrDallas, TX
Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-07-06 8:15 PM (#86955 - in reply to #86933)

Veteran

Sorry about the first post! There weren't any paragraphs! I hate that~I think a lot depends on how often you will be trailering, and how far you will be going. If you will be going to Events every other weekend (or more) and you'll be going long distances, I think it would make sense to purchase a big truck/trailer package.

However, if you might go to four Events in a Summer and you won't be traveling very far, I think you can make due with an SUV, which is more 'family friendly'.

IMO, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to purchase a huge pick-up truck that you will only use to haul a horse trailer (unless, like I said, you will be hauling a LOT). Now, if money is no object, then I would purchase a pick-up and a gooseneck, but since $$$$ is an object for most of us, we can't afford to have a car/suv that we use as a daily driver, and a big pick-up sitting in the driveway for when we haul.

I like the Suburban idea. I hauled to Events/Dressage shows for years w/ a Suburban and it worked out great. There is plenty of room for the kids and their stuff, you can have rear A/C in the hot Summer and the Suburban's aren't bad to drive every day, I did for over 15 yrs.

I also would vote for the Brenderup and a smaller SUV. I've owned 2 Brenderups over the years and enjoyed them very much (in fact I'm looking for one now, I wish I hadn't sold my last one!).

This is all just my opinion. I've ridden/shown/hauled horses for 25+ yrs. and never owned a pick-up to do it with. I've always felt safe using an SUV, with proper equip. (stabilizer bars and equalizer hitch).Good luck!

This is a great forum to learn from!!

darlyn
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-07 7:29 AM (#86966 - in reply to #86933)

thanks for your responses.

i'm not even planning on buying a trailer for a year so i've got some time to figure out what the best thing for us is.  i was never really a fan of using my Sequoia but wanted to see what the experts thought.  and i did think the tundra could do it but am now thinking that's probably not the best option either.  it's a shame too cuz i really like that truck.

i talked to hubby a bit more about it last night and we're thinking our options are probably:

1) stick with the sequoia and put out the money for a brenderup.

2) buy an old(er) F250 and trailer, keep the sequoia for my everyday car and find a place to park the truck when not in use.

i'm probably only going to be hauling 8-12 times a year so it's tough to dump my sequoia (which is the perfect vehicle for our family) and drive a pick-up everywhere.  especially considering i put about 28/30,000 miles on a car each year.  and he's not driving a truck.

course, if you ask my kid (she's 14), she thinks we need a 2 or 3 horse slant gooseneck with living quarters. 

jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-07-07 10:18 AM (#86976 - in reply to #86933)

Extreme Veteran

We are a dealership in the midwest that has several customers that use Toyota products for pulling 2H BP trailers.  One of them uses a Sequoia; and has for a couple of years.  If you send me a PM; I will give you her name and number and you can call her and ask her first hand if she has had any issues.  She pulls a bigger trailer than a Brenderup also.
Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-07-07 3:06 PM (#87004 - in reply to #86966)

Veteran

I don't know what year your Sequoia is, but from the quick research I did online, I found that the 08 Sequoia (2wd, SR5, 5.7engine = 10,000lbs tow rating) has the highest tow rating of any suv available on the market today....bar none.

If your tow load has a particularly heavy tongue weight than you may want to consider a 3/4 ton Suburban since you'll gain the advantage of a leaf spring rear suspension with a far greater payload rating (2x the Sequoia) that can therefore handle far more tongue weight.

However the 3/4 ton Suburban will still have a lower tow rating than a Sequoia (although close at 9600lbs with 2wd). I do not believe there is any suv on the market with rear leaf springs other than the 2500 series Suburban and Yukon XL.

I can't imagine why you couldn't use your Sequoia, unless you have a 6-cyl. engine, then I'd say no way (unless you get a Brenderup).

There are TONS of alum. 2 horse trailers that weigh less then 2800 lbs., add two 1,000 lb. horses and gear and you're no where near 10,000 lbs.

JMO, I'm sure others on this list will have a differing opinion.

You say you won't get a trailer for a year or so, if you decide to purchase a Brenderup I'd go ahead and look now, used ones don't come up for sale very often and they sell quickly.

Others may agrue about what should and should not be towed with these vehicles however the statement about the Sequoia having the highest rated tow rating is a simple statement of fact.

Good luck!

darlyn
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-07 3:35 PM (#87006 - in reply to #86933)

the 08 Sequoias must be very different from my 04.  it's an 8 cyl, 4WD and says can tow 6200 pounds. 

still feel the same?

sigh.

califhorseman
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-07 9:06 PM (#87029 - in reply to #86933)

Regular

Before going to our current configuration truck and trailer my wife pulled with a 2002 ford expedition V8 and a 3 horse classic trailer approx 2600 pounds.

For the brake controller it was a Prodigy and weight distribution bars 4,000-10,000 pounds. 

Total weight we figured was approx 5,000 pounds (2 horses,tack and water). She never once had a problem under these conditions. Do it right and you should be fine with your current SUV.

BOL

Jeff

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-07-08 7:45 AM (#87045 - in reply to #87006)

Expert

Originally written by darlyn on 2008-07-07 4:35 PM

the 08 Sequoias must be very different from my 04.  it's an 8 cyl, 4WD and says can tow 6200 pounds. 

still feel the same?

sigh.

Any full size suv with a towing capacity of 6200# is more than capable/safe to do what you want....at least in the beginning.  You mentioned a second child, these things tend to snowball as Im sure you already know.

A 2h BP with one horse should easily come in under 5K.  My 'large', heavy (for 2h BP), steel trailer loaded with my stuff and 2 horses comes in at 6K........and was pulled with my 2002 Trailblazer which is a MID size suv.  There are plenty of opinions about towing with suv's, takes a lot of time to weed through the paranoia and BS.  Properly set up, WDH and brake controller, they are fine.........period.

Of course if you foresee a larger trailer (GN) in your future then your only option is the pickup.  In that situation I would not bother with a Tundra as it really wouldnt be that much of a performance upgrade from what you have.  Your option 2 as you mentioned above is best in my opinion, if $$$ permit it.  That is what we did, we have cars for the daily commute.  Personally I refuse to drive a pickup as a daily driver, poor mpg, poor ride, poor handling, poor stopping, loud..........need I go on?

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-21 4:49 PM (#87845 - in reply to #86933)

Veteran

we have sold lots of 2-H bumper pulls to customers with yukon/expedition type SUVs.  the most popular model would be a 2H slant w/ dressing room, 6'6" x 7' tall, approximately 3200lbs.  Any V-8 will pull this trailer loaded no problem.
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-21 5:17 PM (#87846 - in reply to #86933)

Extreme Veteran

I think one thing to consider is how many horses you will be hauling even in the future.  We bought a 3h LQ for out first trailer; at the time our girls were not riding on their own.  Within 2 years both girls had their own horses and we needed to upgrade to a 4H.  Try and make your first purchase one that you can find usuable & within your budget for a long time.  If you think your younger daughter will end up with a horse you make not want a small 2H BP;  consider a larger size 2H or maybe a 3H to have plenty of future room.

We currently haul in a 16ft stock trailer GN for lessons and local riding.  It works well for all size horses and is easy to park and pull.  I learned how to pull a trailer with a GN and always seem to "oversteer" when I pull a BP.  If you get a chance see if can find someone to help you practice pulling and parking.  Empty parking lots work great to practice in.  I did this many times in learning to back our trailer.  I would practice trying to park it in the exact spot I had pulled it from.  As for a towing vehicle - I have a Yukon XL with a tow package, but do not use it for horse hauling.  I pull with a Chevy 3500 dually that we recently purchased just for me to haul with.  It's not new, but does a great job for getting the girls to their horse lessons.  It's strong enough that I can haul 1 horse or 4 horses.  My Yukon is a great car and could tow, but I don't want to risk overloading it with hauling too much.  Good Luck!

cupid
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-07-23 2:14 PM (#88082 - in reply to #86933)

Whatever you decide on, remember to allow space for hay and bedding you will be taking to the shows. Love my Brenderup but there isn't space for two horses + hay in there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)