'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bison Trailer Question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-29 6:40 PM
4 replies, 4958 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Razorback1980
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-29 12:01 PM (#75530)
Subject: Bison Trailer Question

Let's start this off by stating that I have never owned a horse trailer before so that should level set your expectations on my knowledge of horse trailers. My daughter has been showing for a very long time but her trainer had the trailer but recently decided to have a family and stop training. That leaves me with a horse and no horse trailer. To make a long story short, I'm looking at a 2005 alumasport which hopefully should be past the leaking roof problems that was a problem for them in previous years. By the way, many thanks to each of you for sharing that information here so I could at least learn that much. I did try to find a post on wood floor trailers vs other types of floors but didn't see any posts on the opinions of wood floors. I was also wondering if any of you knew if Bison used wood in the LQ area of the trailer as well. I don't know much about trailers but I'm pretty sure a trailer is only as good as the maintenance on it but many questions come to mind on wood floors...like how often do you have to replace them.  If you do have to replace them, can I just replace the horse area or do I have to replace the LQ area as well. My thanks to each of you for sharing your knowledge and experiences to help us new folks out.

Tom

Edited by Razorback1980 2008-01-29 2:59 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-01-29 12:43 PM (#75536 - in reply to #75530)
Subject: RE: Bison Trailer Question

Veteran

Bison uses treated wood floors in the horse area on the alumasport and the living quarters is either plywood or osb not sure which. So they are two seperate floors and can be replaced one at a time. Of course like you said good maintenance will help the floors in the horse area last longer.
bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-01-29 2:29 PM (#75546 - in reply to #75530)

Veteran

I have an '06 Alumasport and my best friend has an earlier model '06...AND WE BOTH LOVE OURS.. Hers has a wooden floor and mine has aluminum plank flooring. That said, the wood in the LQ should only need replacing IF THEY GET WET. That said, a well taken care of horse area floor should last 20 years. The LQ....forever????? Calk the roof every spring. Stay up on maint....just like a house. Just remember that rattling down the road will wear and loosten LOTS of things. Give it a good going over every month or two and DON'T PUT ANYTHING OFF that you do notice. A scratch in the horse compartment gets sanded and touchup paint ASAP so rust never gets started. I use the pressure washer 3-4 times a year. Good luck. You will learn fast.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-29 5:02 PM (#75553 - in reply to #75530)

Expert

Bechack;     Good advise!

Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-01-29 6:40 PM (#75556 - in reply to #75530)

Veteran

Razorback 1980 send ya pm
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'