'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cherokee Trailers - Tomahawk or Super Chief

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-07 3:23 PM
15 replies, 11818 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

perk2754
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-22 8:12 PM (#69812)
Subject: Cherokee Trailers - Tomahawk or Super Chief

Veteran

I'm looking at the Cherokee trailers and am wondering what the difference is between the Tomahawk and the Super Chief?  Thanks for any responses.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-10-23 9:52 AM (#69852 - in reply to #69812)
Subject: RE: Cherokee Trailers - Tomahawk or Super Chief

Regular

I bought a Cherokee in 2002. At that time they had the Super Chief and the Invasion. Now they have the Super Chief & Tomahawk.

In 2002, the Invasion came standard with many features that would otherwise have been an "add on". The Invasion was not modifiable (meaning it came from the factory with what it had). The Super Chief on the other hand was open to any modifications the new owner wanted (add features, subtract features...you get a custome ordered trailer).

My guess is that the Tomahawk is the new "Invasion" and that the Super Chief is still customizable per order. Call Cherokee to be certain!

dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-10-23 3:24 PM (#69861 - in reply to #69812)

Veteran

The Tomahawk is pretty much an Invasion with bus windows on the rump wall. Cherokee offered both for a few years, but after the introduction of the Tomahawk, Invasion sales declined so they discontinued it. And that is right construction wise the Super Chief and Tomahawk are the same. The Tomahawk is a production trailer and the Super Chief is a custom trailer.  The Tomahawk is a lot cheaper than the Super Chief.  However, the Tomahawk is what it is.  You cannot modify the trailer other than the few options that Cherokee has laid out for that trailer. 
Copper1272
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-10-23 3:42 PM (#69862 - in reply to #69812)

Regular

For what it's worth I loved the options that came with my Tomahawk.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-10-23 4:00 PM (#69865 - in reply to #69812)

Expert

The Cherokee website lists an Invasion, Thoroughbred, Tomahawk, Futura, Chief Plus, Super Chief and a 4 Horse Center Load. If they did away with the Invasion in 2002, then why do they still have it listed on their site? My wife and I, are looking at a Super Chief 6 horse head to head. I'm leaving it up to the wife on this one, she's paying for it so I guess I'll have to pull it. I just can't seem to get excited about this Cherokee trailer, it has doors in front of each horse so the center area of the trailer is isolated from each horse, in other words, something could roll around in the center load area and never get tangled up under the horses feet. Trailer is 35' on the floor, 5' of that is dressing room, total lenght is 43'. It is a nice all aluminum trailer, but I kinda dred dragging it all over the eastern U.S.A with my tired  8.1/Allison gasser. Guess it's time for a new Duramax!! 
perk2754
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-24 6:08 AM (#69882 - in reply to #69812)

Veteran

Thanks for the responses.  Until this past weekend I had not even looked at the Cherokee (I'd always been a die hard Sundowner fan). Now that I have looked at them I am very impressed and have pretty much decided to go with one.  My delima now is whether to go with a 3 horse slant or a 2 horse straight load.  I have a stout draft cross and I'm not sure if the stall width in a slant is sufficient. If I go with a slant load I would probably dedicate 2 stalls to him which would effectively make the trailer a 2 horse anyway.  Jeepers.

What type of horses do you all haul and do slant load stall widths seem sufficient? 

Thanks again.

cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-10-24 8:18 AM (#69887 - in reply to #69812)

Regular

I would go with a 3H slant. I thin it will have better resale than a 2h straight load and will be more versatile for you as well. I hauled mostly cow horses in my Cherokee Invasion, but I also hauled a 16.3h Thoroughbred and a Fjord/Belgium cross for a friend of ours. I never had a problem fitting these horses in. If the stall width is not wide enough for your Draft, you can always remove the divider closest to the rear tack and then there will be tons of room for him. The dividers are easy to put back in, so if you wanted to haul 3 horses at some point, you could put it back in. Just my 2c. I also thought the Cherokee was well made and offer great features for the money.
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-10-26 12:22 PM (#70029 - in reply to #69812)

Veteran

They didn't do away with the Invasion in 2002 they did away with it in 2008 and its still on their website because they don't keep up with their website. They dropped the Stockman, the Invasion, the White Cloud, the Silver Cloud, the Futura, and the Chief Plus. They are working on a new website and have not changed anything on this one in 2 or 3 years.
Copper1272
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-10-26 8:34 PM (#70047 - in reply to #70029)

Regular

I have a 3h slant Tomohawk and haul a really stout paint horse. He has plenty of room, he does prefer the last stall as it is the roomiest one. I had a Sundowner before this and as much as I loved my Sundowner I wanted a trailer to convert to a weekend package, so wanted the walk thru door, rear tack and stud divider. The Sundowner with these "options" was way more then the Tomohawk that came with these. I have several welder friends and they really are impressed with the way my trailer is built (and they are picky) so I was happy with the price tag ,the space, the options and the quality.

lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-27 2:43 PM (#70084 - in reply to #69812)

Extreme Veteran

I have a 2005 Tomahawk and the stalls are only 38 wide. Sundowners are typically 42 wide. I like my trailer but I do wish the stalls were wider. Also, if you get the rear tack, it is considerably smaller than the rear tack in other trailers but it is easy to remove.
kmartin
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-31 9:48 PM (#70295 - in reply to #69812)

It's good your looking into things and investigating the difference in the trailers....but what I have notice in the Cherokee trailer is....their drop down windows are very cheap made....and I have a friend that has one.... the way they lock down on the trailer.....when driving down the road doesn't hold.....she was driving down the interstate, a semi drove by and from the upwind...she looked in her mirror...and the window came off the lock down and flapped up and down on the side of the trailer....it freaked her horse out and now she has problems with her horse everytime she opens and closes the window...her horse just comes unglued!

cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-11-03 9:07 AM (#70422 - in reply to #69812)

Regular

As per the windows, my Cherokee Invasion was hauled alot and very long distances (CA to TX, etc) and I never once had a problem with the drop down windows or the locking mechanism on the windows. I no longer own the trailer, but just my experience.

dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-11-05 11:22 AM (#70508 - in reply to #69812)

Veteran

Cherokee has used a number of different types of windows in the past. On the Tomahawk they are now using an aftermarket window that many other manufacturers are using and I have sold a lot of them on the Cherokees and the Kiefers and have never had that problem out of them. They are manufacturing the windows for the Super Chief and those windows are very similar to what 4-star, Elite, and other companies are using, but if your friends trailer is new enough to have those windows it would be under warranty. I'm not real fimiliar with their older windows maybe they had problems with them that would explain why they changed, but it sound like maybe the latch needs adjusted.
Copper1272
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-11-05 12:40 PM (#70514 - in reply to #70508)

Regular

No problems with my windows either.
trailridingal
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-06 6:08 PM (#70583 - in reply to #69812)

I seen those windows have problems with the hinges getting sprung.....my sissters trailer did that.....but it was under warranty...it took a bit to get one in but it was fixed.....she also had the same problem with a hinge on one of her manger doors but it got fixed under warrenty too.
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-11-07 3:23 PM (#70634 - in reply to #69812)

Veteran

I have seen the aftermarket windows that they use on the Tomahawks now get the hinges sprung and the bars not want to come down, but the window would drop down and would stay up it just effected the bars.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)