'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
new horse trailer - ramp question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-13 4:59 PM
4 replies, 2662 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Dobby
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-06-11 8:15 PM (#62157)
Subject: new horse trailer - ramp question

Good evening everyone - I have a question on a new horse trailer I just purchased. In March I ordered a three horse slant with a ramp. I picked it up today and loved everything except one thing, the $600 ramp. The ramp is a half ramp but only comes within four inches of the trailer floor. I questioned the dealer and he said that is what they had to do to avoid the door mechanism. Sooo, I am wondering, what good does a ramp do if it does not come even with the floor. When I purchased the trailer, I told them that I had a cart and how great it would be to have a ramp to load it with. I have not gone back to the dealer yet, but was wondering what I should do? Would appreciate any advise I can get. Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-13 5:35 AM (#62228 - in reply to #62157)
Subject: RE: new horse trailer - ramp question

Expert

The half of a ramp issue would bother me more. Not that I would use a slant load trailer anyway, but I understand that a lot of people who use them like to allow their horses to turn around to unload.

The gap between the trailer floor and the ramp (the crap trap) is often that wide just due to the geometry of the hinge and thickness of the ramp.
Other manufacturers have solved it with what is essentially a miniature loading dock plate. Mine is treadplate aluminum, it automatically folds when I stow the ramp and usually drops into place when I lower the ramp.
Some horses get a bit nervous when they feel the difference between rubber mat in the trailer, then treadplate, then ramp rubber, but it isn't a big issue with most.
I could post a picture if you need one, or you could have your dealer look at the Jamco web site to see how they do it, maybe your manufacturer has a similar {more cost} option.

Edited by Reg 2007-06-13 5:41 AM
Dobby
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-06-13 6:20 AM (#62229 - in reply to #62157)

Good morning - If you have a picture, that would be great. I like the idea of what you are talking about. Thanks!
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-13 7:32 AM (#62233 - in reply to #62229)

Expert

Originally written by Dobby on 2007-06-13 6:20 AM

Good morning - If you have a picture, that would be great. I like the idea of what you are talking about. Thanks!

Ooops, foot got too close to mouth that was already open (-:

That trailer is backed up close against the garage right now, the other trailer is on the truck and probably won't come off for a couple of weeks.
I can't find an illustration on the Jamco web-site either (-:

If it ain't one thing its a dozen others )-:

Seriously, your dealer SHOULD know that competitive brands have such a plate over the hinge gap. Mine is attached and hinged on the floor side, it has about a 10 or 15 degree fold down the middle (OK geometricians, 170 oor 165) it wouldn't be THAT hard to make one with a piece of 1/4 inch plate and a "piano" hinge.

greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-06-13 4:59 PM (#62267 - in reply to #62157)

Extreme Veteran

I'll see if I can get a picture of mine posted in the next day or so, also a Jamco with a ramp.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)