'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Uninsulated Alum Trailer Roof

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-04 7:10 PM
4 replies, 3079 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-11-04 12:42 PM (#51104)
Subject: Uninsulated Alum Trailer Roof

Extreme Veteran

I am looking at an all alum trailer without insulation in the roof. A friend of mine got one like that and eventually put the insulation in herself. 

I dont' have that type of skill, so I would have to come up with an alternative.

Has anyone done something more cost effective in insulating the horse compartment in their alum roofed trailers?

Jbsny

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Brian Myers
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-04 4:01 PM (#51112 - in reply to #51104)
Subject: RE: Uninsulated Alum Trailer Roof

WHere do you live?  Most people will not insulate the horse area of a horse trailer unless you are in a very hot climate like Texas.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-11-04 4:33 PM (#51119 - in reply to #51104)

Expert

Originally written by Jbsny on 2006-11-04 12:42 PM

I am looking at an all alum trailer without insulation in the roof. A friend of mine got one like that and eventually put the insulation in herself.

I dont' have that type of skill, so I would have to come up with an alternative.

Has anyone done something more cost effective in insulating the horse compartment in their alum roofed trailers?

Jbsny

There is a thread sometime in the last year about "insulating paint", the conclusion seemed to be that it was close to useless.
I added my experience with rivetting pre-painted white aluminum sheet to the roof of my 2 horse Jamco trailer, it has worked well and is still working well. That didn't take much skill or special tools, probably the only thing I would do differently would be to leave out the rigid foam insulation, the dead air space would be adequate. I bought all the materials at once, so I'll use the insulation in the bigger trailer as well. WRT weather: We got turned off I-80 and stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on side roads on our way to Syracuse this year, not the HOTTEST part of the country, but I think an insulated roof might have made a significant difference to the heat stress on the horses. I think it quietens the trailer as well, rain, hail, etc.

Look up the insulating paint thread, it really IS simple to rivet sheet alumin to the roof ribs and it LOOKS pretty durned professional too (-:

Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-11-04 5:22 PM (#51120 - in reply to #51112)

Regular

Originally written by Brian Myers on 2006-11-04 4:01 PM

WHere do you live?  Most people will not insulate the horse area of a horse trailer unless you are in a very hot climate like Texas.

We live in NW Arkansas and insulating the horse area of the trailer is necessary.  Keeps it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-11-04 7:10 PM (#51121 - in reply to #51104)

Extreme Veteran

I live in Ohio, and this past summer, the temps were well up in the 90s and the sun was just baking hot.  I am used to fiberglass roofs which don't seem to get as hot, but then I lose that all aluminum aspect I would like.

Jbsny

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)