'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Living in horse trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-23 6:53 PM
10 replies, 10103 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

WayfaringStranger
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-22 3:46 PM (#39326)
Subject: Living in horse trailer?

New User

Anyone here ever lived in their horse trailer? 

I'm about to go through a separation and need a place to live; coincidentally I also need a horse trailer and was going to get a 3H GN with a modest LQ package (leaning toward Exiss or Sundowner).   Thought I might kill two birds with one stone but wonder about the practicality of actually living in the trailer full time (I'm out on the road for work 3 or 4 days a week anyway).  Would the wear and tear be too much?  Also wonder where to put stuff???  I did live in a very small travel trailer in college and did ok but had much less stuff then:) Thanks in advance.

Any comments, ideas?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brisco
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 9:09 PM (#39341 - in reply to #39326)
Subject: space savers- show off your ideas

Regular

You might be able to do it for awhile if you store a bunch of stuff somewhere else.  Long term, I don't think so.

Do you have some time to consider all possibilities?  Might not be a good time to make a snap decision.

Good luck.

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 9:17 PM (#39344 - in reply to #39326)
Subject: RE: Living in horse trailer?

Extreme Veteran

I have a friend that's considered the same thing, living in his trailer.  He would like to buy land, then build a building so he'd have some storage.

Since you may not be sure if your separation will be permanent, you might hold off for financial and legal reasons of having to split value later.

If you plan to buy one anyway, you might try it and park in a trailer park. Sometimes they have storage sheds or just rent one to put most of your stuff in.

I would think it'd be hard to go back to living in a small space after living in bigger quarters.  It might be an easy solution until you make your final decision.

Another thing to think about is if it'll take away the enjoyment of using the trailer later when you look back and remember this tuff time in your life.

Good luck with any decision you make!

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 9:20 PM (#39345 - in reply to #39326)

Extreme Veteran

We ride horses at LBL and there is a couple that works there year round that stays in a 3 horse 4 Star with a 10' LQ.  They seem to make it work.  You can always store stuff in the horse area when you are parked.  You just have to worry about moving it around if you go off and ride.  Plus, you will need a sewer outlet and will want a good water supply.  For one person, I would say that it could be done.  However, you can buy a camper with twice the room of a horse trailer for half the cost.  Best of luck. 
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-03-22 10:40 PM (#39354 - in reply to #39326)

Veteran

I agree with the camper idea.  If you buy a new trailer now you may have to split it in a divorce. She may not worry about an older camper. Even though she may not want your horse trailer she may want to sell it for spite later.  Been there had that done. Thought my ex would never do that. WRONG.

Look for a storage unit and make sure you get a PO Box and change your mailing address.

I have a friend that sold her house in town and bought a nice large TT to park on a piece of ground while she got her life in order.  She had water hook up but had to use a portable black tank to transport to the septic.  She had problems with the water heater and had to winterize the tanks and lines with heat tape.  The trailer was new and looked OLD and WORN in a year of daily use.  She hated it and had problems selling it wishing she had gotten an old one to begin with.

Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-03-23 7:51 AM (#39372 - in reply to #39326)

Regular

I think you could do it to if the LQ were big enough. However, I agree with the camper idea too. Don't take any chances on losing your horses or your trailer. I've been there and done that as well. I thougt he would never bring my horses, tack or trailer into the whole mess. WRONG. He sold it all but 1 horse. She meant the most to me anyway but that wasn't the point. Just look before you leap. Best of luck to you.

Jo Anne
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-03-23 1:11 PM (#39394 - in reply to #39326)

Elite Veteran

Hope you're in a decent climate and can get hookups... what about your horse(s)??  My LQ is the first place I run away from home to... I dream of living in it full time to avoid zillion $ house/place pmts and all the responsibility. If the relationship is goin south.. pack it up and GO!!!Heres to her(or him)...sleeping in a snowbank is better than the hassles that come with a break up.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-23 2:38 PM (#39397 - in reply to #39326)

Expert

Originally written by WayfaringStranger on 2006-03-22 4:46 PM

Anyone here ever lived in their horse trailer?

I'm about to go through a separation and need a place to live; coincidentally I also need a horse trailer and was going to get a 3H GN with a modest LQ package (leaning toward Exiss or Sundowner). Thought I might kill two birds with one stone but wonder about the practicality of actually living in the trailer full time (I'm out on the road for work 3 or 4 days a week anyway). Would the wear and tear be too much? Also wonder where to put stuff??? I did live in a very small travel trailer in college and did ok but had much less stuff then:) Thanks in advance.

Any comments, ideas?

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.
Sorry about the news/state_of_things, but moving on...
According to who is separating from whom, you might not have as much stuff in a few months. Assuming you have a truck (or use of one) to at least get it to a trailer park, I don't think living in the short camper space of a horse trailer would even compare to say a 14 or 16ft tag-along camper. To get that sort of living space in a horse trailer would take a LONG trailer - and most of it would be empty horse space most of the time.
Without doing ANY price research I'd guess that a small horse trailer and a separate small tag-along camper would set you back less money and give you more space to live in, more flexibility too than a 32+ ft (on the floor) horse trailer.
There are all the other considerations about climate, how soundly you sleep, how close you want/need to be to your horses, etc.

Good Luck with this
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-03-23 4:11 PM (#39401 - in reply to #39326)

Extreme Veteran

Just to give you an example of LQ comparisons, We purchased a 2004 C&C 3 horse trailer with a 10' LQ.  The price was around 38K when we bought it new.  We also purchased a 2004 Jayco Fifth Wheel that is 31' long with a 12' super slide and the price was right around 19k for it.  In our horse trailer we only have a jacknife couch with a cooktop.  In the camper we have the jacknife couch, dinette, stove, queen bed and ample storage.  I would seriously consider buying a camper then getting a horse trailer with a dressing room to go riding in if your funds will be tight.  I could see someone being able to easily live in a camper.  I don't know if I could handle the cramped spaces of the horse trailer for more than a few weeks.  Just a thought on the price and space comparisons. 
WayfaringStranger
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-23 5:28 PM (#39403 - in reply to #39326)

New User

Thanks to all of yall who responded.  They were some good ideas, esp. about the camper.  I didn't realize they were that much less than horse trailers.  I'll give it all some more thought before I do anything.

And thanks for the encouragement; it helps.

Happy Trails

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-03-23 6:53 PM (#39407 - in reply to #39403)

Extreme Veteran

We lived in an RV while building and the worst thing about it to us was having to go to the Washateria to wash clothes. Those places are the pits.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)