'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Adding Second Battery - Solar Charger

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-03 8:28 AM
11 replies, 5217 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Hillview
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-01 5:41 PM (#25968)
Subject: Adding Second Battery - Solar Charger

Veteran

I'm not having luck with finding an answer in the archives so I must ask. Sorry if this subject has been beat to death already. I have a Sundowner TrailBlazer 1 with a 2 battery box and only 1 battery. I'd like to install a second battery myself. Is this something two reasonably intelligent people can do on their own or should I haul the trailer in to a professional?

A second question too please. I had a solar charger installed professionally last year. A lot of people advised against it (I asked for opinions here on this site) but I went ahead with it anyway. I find it to be totally worthless. Even with extremely conservative use, my battery was almost dead within a day. Is there a possibility that it was hooked up wrong? Anyway I can tell myself?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-06-01 5:47 PM (#25969 - in reply to #25968)
Subject: RE: Adding Second Battery - Solar Charger

Elite Veteran

What is running off your battery? We have a solar panel charger on our 5th wheel, on a two-battery system, and running the furnace in mild weather (50 degrees or so, with thermostat set at 68 inside), running the water pump for basic use (toilet flushing, rinsing dishes, etc.), and lights will drain both batteries in 24 hours, so one battery would drain much more quickly. But the solar panel will recharge the batteries so you have 100% juice going into the evening.

Do you have a gauge hooked up to the solar panel charger? When its charging the amp meter should have a reading, you might also have a battery charge level meter which would be in volts.

Can't help with the installation troubleshooting, ours was installed by an RV dealer. Sorry.
Hillview
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-01 6:00 PM (#25972 - in reply to #25968)

Veteran

I have a clock radio/stereo that runs off the battery.  Other than that, its only the occasional pump use (I turn off the pump when not in use), and extremely conservative use of the internal lights.

I don't have a gage or anything.  All that I have is a red light that shows when the solar charger is charging.   

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-06-01 6:13 PM (#25974 - in reply to #25968)

Extreme Veteran

HI Hillview.

Try this link for batteries: http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_battery_wiring.html I had a good one for solar power but the link diesn't work for me now for some reason. You can also try this site: http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html which has alot of good info.

Hope this helps.

Safe Riding,
Todd

Edited by maccwall 2005-06-01 11:19 PM
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-06-01 9:20 PM (#25980 - in reply to #25968)

Veteran

I have had good success with my solar panel. I have an 85 watt panel that will output over 4 amps during full sunlight. You have to be realistic about what solar can do. What wattage panel do you have?

We camped in Wyoming with our Sooner last year, with just one 12volt marine battery, we ran our fridge on propane, took showers using the water pump and ran lights when getting ready for bed. Kept the battery charged for over 7 days.

The web page listed in one of the posts, phrannie.org has a lot of good information on solar. Its really easy to understand, you need to understand how much current (in amps) your equipment uses. For example, if you have a solar panel that will output about 4 amps during full sunlight, you can figure you will get about 4 amps into the battery during about 8 hours a day, less in the morning and evening. If your equipment is using 8-10 amps for several hours a day, its obvious that you are not going to be able to keep the battery charged using solar. Some major energy hogs are rv furnaces and tvs etc. A rv furnace running several times a night can deplete a typical marine rv battery in one evening. Marty.
karenb
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-06-02 1:35 AM (#25990 - in reply to #25968)

Regular

Hillview,

Have you tried going back to the place that installed your solar and telling them it's not working for you?

How did they calculate the size of panel and type of battery to install?

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-02 8:11 AM (#25995 - in reply to #25968)

Extreme Veteran

?

What is your panel rated at? I have a 75w solar setup at a remote horse camp. Keeps 4 deepcycle batteries topped of. When i get there they are hot! It works great. Batteries last longer also. It wrecks them when you let them go dead.You can tell if it is working by measuring the voltage. Does it charge the battery back up in time? Clock radio stereo?Is it 12 volt?Is an inverter being used?Solar panels won't run much on themselves (unless you have lots) they just fill your STORAGE BATTERY for later use. The more batteries the more power stored.What is the condition of your batteries?

Edited by xyzer 2005-06-02 8:22 AM
Hillview
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-02 10:14 AM (#25999 - in reply to #25968)

Veteran

I have a call into the dealer to get the specs on the panel that was installed. I do have an inverter. My battery never has gone dead. I kept my trailer into my trailer into my ran my truck periodically. I don't know how much drain my clock radio puts on the battery. I'll look that up in the owner's manual and report back.
Hillview
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-02 7:02 PM (#26020 - in reply to #25968)

Veteran

I looked up the specs on my radio. Ther operating voltage is 11-16 VDC. I'm not sure if that means voltage. It has a 3 AMP fuse.

I've read a couple of references to a back-up battery. I only have one. That's why I want to install a second one.

The dealer never called me back. I do know that they installed a Sundowner solar panel that was the "correct" size for a 3H with a 6'short wall. Does that help?
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-02 8:12 PM (#26023 - in reply to #25968)

Extreme Veteran

I'm just guessing here but I think you are relying on the solor panel to much. If you have an 75ish watt panel it will put out about 4ish amps only when the sun is directly overhead (out of the shade)! You might get a full 4ish amps between 10:30 am  till 2:30pm it is much lower the rest of the time and of course at night it is nill. If you can keep it perpindicular to the sun of course your maximum wattage duration will be longer. That is not much! But it will supply a battery with enough to keep it charged and ready to go. Most Inverters draw current when pluged into the 12v even if you don't use the 110V, only plug it in when you need it. My 300w inverter will draw 5-8ish amps 12v when in use running a laptop. An hour or two of that with the lights (Interior lights draw more than you think), and clock on will get rid of that days charge. The clock radio is a constant drain. Not a lot just telling the time but listen to the radio and it may draw 1-1.5amps depending on the volume level or playing a tape. I bet the solor panel is working for you. It seems like for the price we pay it should solve all our problems! You can buy a cheaper 1000w generator for what an installed 85w system with controller costs. If you can monitor the voltage of your batteries you can tell when you are using it to much. Another battery will help alot also. I would depend on the solor panel more to keep your batteries alive through the winter. I hate trashing good batteries! The worst thing you can do is let them set and discharge! Oh! How old is the battery? Is it very old? Has it ever gone dead? Is it a deep cycle? Ok Hillview I'm not an expert but you just got my $.02's worth I hope it helps!

It should be easy to install the 2nd battery it sounds like it is already set up for it. Just make sure the +goes to+ and the - goes to -. You may have to make up some 10gage jumpers to connect the two batteries. Lean on the dealer nicely and i bet they can make a set for you. 

Edited by xyzer 2005-06-02 8:19 PM
Hillview
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-02 8:47 PM (#26025 - in reply to #25968)

Veteran

Your 2 cents makes sense.  Come to think of it, I had my fridge running on LP.  I think that draws some power too.

The dealer isn't very close so I was going to install the second battery myself.  All I have to do is connect the two positives and two negatives together?  Any special isolators, bells, whistles, or switches needed?

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-03 8:28 AM (#26033 - in reply to #25968)

Extreme Veteran

That will do it. Us a large size wire #10. I would solider some large terminals on each end, and color code the wires.Red=positive,Black=negitive.(A good auto electrical shop could make you some nice ones for cheap). Disconnect the negetive wire coming from the trailer to the existing battery before instaling the second battery.Connect all the positive terminals.Connect the negitives last,then reconnect the trailer negitive. Maybe even wear a pair of saftey glasses.This will double your power storage and the batteries will last a lot longer. Oh and check the water level in your batteries twice a year or so.  I hope this all helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)