'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cataloochee Horse Camp in the GSMNP

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-01-18 8:23 AM
8 replies, 9382 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-10-21 7:23 PM (#147818)
Subject: Cataloochee Horse Camp in the GSMNP

Extreme Veteran

Has anyone taken a larger rig down into Cataloochee Horse Camp? We have a 27ft LQ (box length) trailer. I have driven there in the truck so I'm aware of what the road looks like, but would like to hear from those who might have done it. Also, any trail recommendations riding out from there would be great.
Thanks very much!
Tammy
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2012-10-21 9:38 PM (#147821 - in reply to #147818)
Subject: RE: Cataloochee Horse Camp in the GSMNP

We were there about 5 years ago;  took in a 3 horse w an 8' short wall, 7and a half wide;  did ok going in but had a squeaker coming out as another rig was coming in and neither of us could realistically back up......the trails were all nice.......enjoyed playing in the creek too.  Hope you have fun.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2012-10-31 9:27 AM (#148047 - in reply to #147818)

Extreme Veteran

If you are on facebook, ask to join the Horse Camping and Trails Across America page. I know for a fact that several members have camped there and should be able to answer your question. Unfortunately, I cannot as I have never been there but hope to make it one day.
ILdonkgal
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2012-11-01 1:04 PM (#148073 - in reply to #147818)

We did it 4 or 5 years ago with a 24' box trailer. Wouldn't do it again for love nor money. We met a boatload of traffic coming out of the valley from looking at the elk, and at one point dropped the right rear of our trailer off the road. It took us about 2 hours to drive the 11 miles in. Trails were nice, but watch out on Palmer Creek trail... very steep and narrow high above a creek, with soft ground that was caving away.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-11-01 8:21 PM (#148081 - in reply to #148073)

Extreme Veteran

I will post to the FB group as I am a member already. Thanks for that suggestion!
ILdonkgal, that is what I fear the most. Our rig is a 27 foot box...I know I can drive it up and down the mountain but not with other traffic. Also, how was the short road pulling into the horse camp? I saw a tree that could be an issue. We were considering timing our trip in and out during the early part of the week, if we go. Thanks for the heads up on the trails. I find a lot of the trails in the Smokies are like that. They give me heart palpitations. Doesn't seem to bother my husband as he grew up in that area. The soft ground makes me crazy. I don't mind rock ledges as much and he hates them. Go figure.
ILdonkgal
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2012-11-08 7:54 AM (#148185 - in reply to #148081)

I don't remember having any real problems once we reached the little road into camp, except that we *missed* it first time through (a rig of day riders was parked in front of it, blocking our view). We ended up taking an accidental jaunt to the very end of the main road (across two tiny, narrow wooden bridges that were in no way designed to support two large, loaded, LQ trailers. I don't even think you were supposed to drive on them) People were looking at us down there like we were crazy, and finally one gal came up and told us we'd missed the turn off to the horsecamp. Ah yes! what memories we have of the Cataloochee trip..LOL!!  I will say that there were quite a few locals camping there that week, and they were some of the nicest, most generous people we have ever encountered anywhere. When we got there and encountered all the traffic, it was Saturday afternoon....so obviously the worst possible time. I would recommend making the trip in very early in the day on a weekday or maybe a Sunday, and chances are it would be a lot less hairy.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-11-11 8:48 PM (#148244 - in reply to #148185)

Extreme Veteran

I can imagine the looks that you got...LOL. We drove our dually truck down to look at the elk and had a really hard time finding the horse camp. Someone finally pointed us in the right direction. It was tricky passing other vehicles on the road down at the end. I'm sure it was fun with your trailer attached!
Carrilee99
Reg. Dec 2012
Posted 2013-01-17 6:37 PM (#149382 - in reply to #148081)

New User

Can you please add me to the FB group, mine fb name is Carrie Dusing Hart. Thank you, I looked for it but couldn't find it. Thanks again.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2013-01-18 8:23 AM (#149393 - in reply to #147818)

Extreme Veteran

Carrie...sent you a message on FB with a link to the page. I cannot add you to the group since we aren't "friends" on FB. Let me know if the link does not work. It is a great group/page. Photos from ALL over the US.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)