'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
A trailer that is not "pre-wired" for a generator - conversion possible?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-03-04 8:34 AM
5 replies, 4051 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

greyghost
Reg. Jan 2013
Posted 2013-03-04 3:29 AM (#150355)
Subject: A trailer that is not "pre-wired" for a generator - conversion possible?

Hi,I am getting a small LQ that is not pre-wired for a generator. Gonna buy a small one and place in rear tack (or on hay rack if I can afford it - limited space already). I would like it to start from inside my LQ. What options do I have? I was told the Honda 3000i has a remote to start and if I just plug the cord in, I can start/stop from inside the LQ, which would be fine -- but how can I plug the cord in if I place it on top of a hay rack (which would be nice for storage)?If making the trailer "pre-wired" for a generator is the only option, has anyone done this and what kind of $$$ are we talking here. Sounds crazy.....Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Snickers
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2013-03-04 6:03 AM (#150356 - in reply to #150355)
Subject: RE: A trailer that is not "pre-wired" for a generator - conversion possible?

Veteran

Won't address the wiring but don't think you would want the Honda on the roof. It will need fuel often and that will require you carrying the fuel to the roof, think spills,odor, and danger. 
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2013-03-04 8:14 AM (#150362 - in reply to #150355)
Subject: RE: A trailer that is not "pre-wired" for a generator - conversion possible?

Elite Veteran

"Prewire for generator" varies in scope from company to company, but none of them are that in depth. Any competent generator installer can duplicate it in a few hours, so there really is no cost savings.

Even those units that have some pre wiring require a certain amount of finishing and trimming to complete.

Your Honda is not intended to be permenantly mounted. I agree with prior poster, on the roof for storage in an emergency, but for regular use I'd rather see it sitting away from the trailer. Just my .02
greyghost
Reg. Jan 2013
Posted 2013-03-04 8:28 AM (#150363 - in reply to #150355)

So if I want to roof mount a generator, what kind should I be looking at? The Onan? Is that because it's propane instead of gas?
greyghost
Reg. Jan 2013
Posted 2013-03-04 8:31 AM (#150364 - in reply to #150355)

And what size Onan would I need for a 2H GN with a 6foot SW LQ? I have only been looking at the Hondas as everyone was telling me the cost savings of just putting it in the rear tack. Running outa room..... Thanks.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2013-03-04 8:34 AM (#150365 - in reply to #150355)

Expert

I've had really good luck with my Yamaha EF3000iSEB, got over 1700 hours running time on it (generator has outlasted the hour meter!!)  and no problems, has the original spark plug in it. I use Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic oil, change every 50 to 100 hours, depending on how hot it's been and how hard it has run....  It lived in the pickup bed for 5 years, now I carry it in the back of the trailer on a hand truck... Easier to move on a hand truck than using the factory wheels, specially is sand, soft ground, wet grass, etc... We never use it inside the trailer, it's always run outside and down wind of the trailer.....

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelspecs/444/0/specs.aspx

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_10W-30.aspx#

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World