'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Drop down windows or open

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-08-05 8:52 AM
2 replies, 4344 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

julieann15
Reg. Aug 2012
Posted 2012-08-05 1:35 AM (#146072)
Subject: Drop down windows or open

New User

As far as comfort and safety for the horse are drop down windows better or open like stock trailer? Looking at getting either the circle j bronco or bronco plus?thanks in advance!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-08-05 6:51 AM (#146076 - in reply to #146072)
Subject: RE: Drop down windows or open

Expert

Drop windows are quite convenient when loading, feeding, or attending to your horses. They are capable of easily adjusting the interior airflow with their sliders, or when dropped, quickly allow a large amount of air to circulate.

Stock trailers with slats have a fixed amount of airflow. They do have panels that will close off the open spaces, but most are constructed so that they are either fully in place, or removed in fairly long sections. They must be stored when removed and are susceptible to damage when handled.

The climate in which you live may dictate your choice. If it is widly variable, you may want to often change the amount of ventilation inside the trailer. The drops offer a larger amount of airflow than the slats when opened, and about the same insulation when closed, and when the slat inserts are installed.

The stock trailers are usually less expensive because of their simplified construction. Drop windows are expensive to build and install, and if not done well, can result in mechanical problems. Stock trailers can also be equipped with slats on the butt side, and drops on the head side. This hybrid arrangement has worked well for many owners.

Most manufacturers will build you any kind of trailer you want. Talk to owners of each kind before you make a decision. We live in the NE and encounter bad winters and hot summers. The drops are our favourite choice, after owning a stock combo with slats, and some trailers with only sliders.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-08-05 8:52 AM (#146079 - in reply to #146072)
Subject: RE: Drop down windows or open

Expert

I live in Utah and yesterday coming home from my ride it was 98°. Had all the windows open.

There have been many night in the winter, When I gone to the county indoor arena and it was 0° whenI headed for homewith a sweaty horse.

I think I need as much control as possible over the ventilation in my trailers.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)