'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer roof peeling

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-07-24 12:48 AM
2 replies, 3488 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lamiam
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2012-07-23 5:23 PM (#145772)
Subject: Trailer roof peeling

I have a 95 Hart Al trailer that's in really nice shape except for some "peeling" on the roof. The trailer is insulated, but I think the roof is aluminum and that this is just a coating. I was hoping someone could look at the pics I took and give some advice regarding a fix. If it is just a peeling coating, it seems like the bed liner coating fix that I have been reading about might be a good option. I am just not sure if the problem is  that minor.  Thanks!

Lori - Fort Walton Beach, Fl

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-07-23 10:42 PM (#145780 - in reply to #145772)
Subject: RE: Trailer roof peeling

Expert

It looks like the "peeling" is the delamination of the thin fiberglass surfacing from the roof's core material. Hart uses an extremely thin fiberglass layer over the top of a man made core to fabricate their roofs.

The gel coating resin has broken down under the UV rays and has been destroyed. It is no longer giving any support to the structure and is allowing the weather to penetrate into the core materials. If not already, this will eventually result in a very flexible roof, that will have little structure or stability.

Standard fiberglass repairs would include grinding off the the damaged surface and adding a new layer of FRP products to weather proof and strengthen the roof. It is a labour intensive project, and requires an industrial grinder and media apropos for fiberglass layups.

I would contact some of the many boat yards in your state for estimates on the necessary repairs. This type of repair is frequently effected on fiberglass boats, that have "blistering" and delamination problems.

Most bed liners are sold in a black colour. This would be not advantages, for coating a fiberglass surface, that is located in an area with a steady supply of strong sunshine. You will want a white roof that reflects as much UV as possible. Once the repairs are made, the fiberglass can be painted, which will greatly protect the surface from the sun's affects.

lamiam
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2012-07-24 12:48 AM (#145787 - in reply to #145780)
Subject: RE: Trailer roof peeling

Thanks for the input. I was wondering if that was FRP on top. I couldn't remember. My brother-in-law sent me the photos and I had not seen it first hand. I'll contact some marine repair shops.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)