'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Quick question re: fuel stabilizers for small engines...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-05-29 11:37 PM
5 replies, 5120 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2012-05-29 1:55 PM (#144289)
Subject: Quick question re: fuel stabilizers for small engines...

Regular

This isn't about trucks or trailers, but is about 'engines', and I am thinking there are those here who can advise me.

I am 'older', female, and the sole caretaker of my place. I have a 26 HP Craftsman garden tractor, w/ a Kohler engine model # CV26S, Type# 69526(these specs mean nothing to me, but thought they might help!). I also have a new Lawnboy yard mower. Are these 2, or 4 stroke, engines? Should I be using fuel stabilizer? I can buy a kind advertised on TV-in the odd-looking small plastic 'jug' w/ two screw-on lids, can't recall the name just now, and it's a long walk out to the barn!); I'm counting on you all knowing what I am referring to! ) I've read that now that there is apparently ethanol(UGH) year-round in the gasoline, that a 'marine' formula, 'ethanol' treatment, as stated on the container, is called for; would the use of this type be called for in either, or both, of these in the gasoline for these vehicles? I have both a small and a larger(5 gal) std. 'carryable' gas containers for these vehicles, and in a mild winter, they have been known to 'set' for quite a while w/ fuel in them before being needed. I could surely use your good counsel on this, TIA for any help!

Margo, AKA olehossgal, in NM ---where we are burning yet again...:(

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2012-05-29 2:40 PM (#144291 - in reply to #144289)
Subject: RE: Quick question re: fuel stabilizers for small engines...

Expert

I use Sta-Bil, year round in all of our outdoor power engines. I add it to the fuel transfer cans when they are refilled with fresh fuel.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/products.aspx

kooner
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2012-05-29 5:30 PM (#144299 - in reply to #144289)

Extreme Veteran

I think lawboy makes a 2 an 4 stroke mower if it is a 2 stroke do not forget to mix your oil and gas or it will be ruint in a matter  of seconds running.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-05-29 6:50 PM (#144304 - in reply to #144289)

Expert

More than likely those are 4 cycle engines.  When you run them, do they have a deeper throaty sound or higher whine.  2 cycle engines  usually have a higher pitch whine and run at higher RPMs than a 4 cycle engine, They also usually produce some smoke when you run the 2 cycle since their is oil mixed in with the gas.

Do either engines have an oil drain plug.    2 cycle engine don't have oil drain plugs since the oil is mixed in the fuel, Their is no oil pan.

Fuel stabilizer is design to stabilize fuel that is not getting used currently.  If you fill a tank and let it sit for  month. You may want to add a stabililzer.  If you use fresh gas, Fill up the mower and mow the lawn consuming most of what was in the tank, You should be fine. 

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-05-29 10:39 PM (#144315 - in reply to #144289)

Expert

Stabil makes fuel stabilizers that work well in both 2 and 4 stroke motors. When ever you are putting equipment away for the winter, it's a good idea to add some stabilizer to the fuel, and run the motors for a few minutes before shutting them down. In the Spring, they will easily restart, and you won't have a fuel contamination problem.

Stabil's Marine formula is designed for two stroke motors, low HP motors and outboards that run fuels with a strong Ethanol mixture (+10 %). They often encounter driveability problems with the Ethanol mixture.

Stabil makes a supplement specifically for Ethanol fuel motors of any size. It prevents corrosion of aluminum parts, removes moisture and cleans the fuel system. It is not just a storage blend, but a year round additive.

I've used Stabil products for many years, with various motors and fuel systems that are seasonally stored. The carbs are never varnished or gummed up after months of inactivity, and the fuel burns clean until it is consumed.

Either the Marine or Ethanol additives should work well in your lawn products.

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2012-05-29 11:37 PM (#144322 - in reply to #144289)

Regular

MANY thanks, all! Just the kind of helpful information I needed!

Margo in NM

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)