'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
bought a project....where to buy supplies

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-06-21 10:34 AM
4 replies, 3279 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mcompton1973
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-19 10:43 PM (#134981)
Subject: bought a project....where to buy supplies

New User

Long story very short.Had a nice featherlight trailer and an F250 PSD. Wife was kicked int he eye by a horse, lost sight in her left eye, and was out of work for a while. Sold the truck and bought an F150 and sold the trailer. Wife is back running barrels and wanted a trailer to get her there. We needed a bumper pull and we needed it taller than most.Found just what we needed...but it has some concerns. 1 rusted through hole in the tack area a couple inches large. We can patch. rust in the floor of the tack area we can patch. two larger concerns are the doors...they have a lot of rust...one hast rust all around the hinge and one hinge is broke. The other problem is a frame member or support between the tack area and the floor looks like its week and needs reinforced or replaced.So the INITIAL question is where can i buy steel to make a door and patches etc? I just got the trailer home...is this something I can get at a Lowes or somewhere special.Thank you
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-06-20 6:49 AM (#134985 - in reply to #134981)
Subject: RE: bought a project....where to buy supplies

Expert

I would take your trailer to a fabrication shop, a truck or tractor/farm repair facility, that is competent in welding. Especially for the frame, you will need a structural steel doubler repair welded into place. Depending on the area, this may be a flat plate or a piece bent into shape, mimicking the original contours.

The fab shop can also probably rebuild your doors and address the hinge problems. Welding, cutting, and shaping are what these companies do as a business. With their skills, materials and tooling, many could probably fabricate a whole new trailer. The proper tools, materials and knowledge, can effect the repairs in the fastest and most durable fashon. The cost of the expert repairs may be less expensive in the long run.

If you do have welding experience and equipment, they are also a good source of materials.

The materials available at most big box stores are not stout enough for frame or undercarriage structures. They are soft steel, of smaller dimensions and are best suited for non-structural repairs.

mcompton1973
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-20 9:55 AM (#134994 - in reply to #134981)

New User

That is what I was figuring in regards to the materials sold at the box stores. My son is a pretty decent welder. He doesnt do it for a living, but did it in the Marines. He has an ARC Welder I think and a MIG welder...I dont know for sure I will have to ask him again. I was thinking that he could do the patches (non structural) and the doors...and then maybe have the pros just do the cross member maybe. I was not sure though if I could even get sheet metal to make or repair the doors somewhere or not.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-06-20 10:44 AM (#134996 - in reply to #134981)

Expert

I don't know the area in which you live. A quick glance in our yellow pages under STEEL, detailers/structural, revealed several sources of steel products. Whether it be sheet or extruded products, a few phone calls may produce the leads you need.

Having a good welder in the family will drastically lower your reconstruction costs. Best of luck with your project

mcompton1973
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-06-21 10:34 AM (#135011 - in reply to #134996)

New User

I didnt even think to look up steel...I found a couple of places in Omaha...I will prob call today. The only thing is...do places like that usually sell just a little to someone like me? It looked like obviously thier main customers would be manufacturers etc.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)