'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Axle / Wheel Alignment.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-03-24 8:37 AM
9 replies, 18872 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2011-03-21 11:18 AM (#131921)
Subject: Trailer Axle / Wheel Alignment.

Extreme Veteran

I have a 2006 model year trailer with two 3500-lb rubber torsion axles.  In the last few months of last year's towing season, I have noticed excessive wear on two of the tires.  I am due for new tires anyway, but want to get an alignment, first.

One place I called said that they do trailer axle alignments, but told me they would start by removing the axles from the trailer and checking them for straightness.  Then, they would reinstall them in proper alignment.  That just didn't sound right to me, as torsion axles are welded directly to the frame of the trailer.

Another place I called, said they align the axles on the trailer and do not remove them.  He did caution me that there is only so much adjustment possible with torsion axles.  This sounded a little more like what I was expecting.

Cutting the axles off the trailer should not be necessary to align the axles, should it?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2011-03-21 11:40 AM (#131924 - in reply to #131921)
Subject: RE: Trailer Axle / Wheel Alignment.

Extreme Veteran

Just exactly how were they going to "align" the axles?  When an axle is bent, whether from overloading or a hit that affects one wheel, it is the spindle that is out of line.  Think metal clothes hanger.  Bend it once, it weakens it, bend it numerous times and you can snap it.   If the tires on wearing on the inside, the spindles are bent up, usually from overloading.  If the tires are cupping and scuffing, the spindle is usually bent forward or backwards, resulting from a blow like hitting a curb, chuckholes on a corner, etc.  We find this kind of damage usually on the right front wheel.

We replace quite a few axles every week, both spring and torsion style.  We have very rarely encountered axles that were "out of line" due to the placement of the hangers or the attachment of the torsion axle brackets.  If that is the case, the only way to align those axles is to remove them and put them on correctly.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-03-21 9:31 PM (#131955 - in reply to #131921)

Expert

I bent my axles last fall when I hit something on the road.  It distroyed a new tire in less than 100 miles

In my seach I found a shop that focus on large trailers and trucks,  They pulled my 4H GN trailer in on their rack and straightend the axles.  They hooked up all the alignment equiment and put a hydrallic ram on the the axle and bent it back into alignment.  They printed out the before and after alignment sheets showing what they had done.  So far it is holding up well.  It was $80 per axle.

They did warn that this process is not something that can be repeated many times as it does weaken the axle.  They basically told me that its a 2 maybe 3 time process and then plan to change out the axles.

I called around and can get new axles built for around $350 per axle. ( Axles only, would have to transfer the brakes over)   How many tires and fenders can you replace before it was a better deal to replace the axles?

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2011-03-22 8:27 AM (#131973 - in reply to #131921)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the input.  I towed the trailer to the second place I mentioned, last night.  They do heavy truck and trailer alignments.  They are also supplying and installing the new tires, so they have increased incentive to get the alignment correct, or recommend a better course of action.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-03-22 9:58 AM (#131976 - in reply to #131921)

Expert

The fellow that straightened mine, Did say his most frequent customers where boat trailers where the customers keep backing their trailers over a curb which repeatedly damages their axles.

The other concern he had was with Horse Trailers is the box or floor of the trailer limites the angles that he can place the hydraulic ram at. Most Torision axles only have 6-8" of  clearance below the floor.  Unlike a boat trailer with the boat off, where he can place the ram at any angle to get the correct straightening.   On horse trailers, he can only push forward, backward or upward.

My biggest problem was finding a place with a rack and bay large enough to pull my trailer into.

ND COWBOY
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-03-22 11:01 AM (#131980 - in reply to #131921)

Veteran

Hello, I had my 35' 5-horse trailer with living quarters trailer axles straightened in Fargo ND it worked good for me.
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2011-03-22 11:42 AM (#131982 - in reply to #131921)

Extreme Veteran

Where in Fargo?

The guy I brought mine to said that if there is more than about 8 feet between the rear axle and the rear of the trailer, he has clearance issues with his rack.  I just have a small 3-horse BP, so no issue there.

Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2011-03-22 4:55 PM (#131988 - in reply to #131921)

Extreme Veteran

I have always wondered--how do they compensate for the different loads/weights on an alignment rack with a Torsen Axle?

I have always been a little concerned with the alignment centers stating that they can straighten an axle as when you load a trailer with Torsen Axles, they do flex and change the camber angles.....

In my experience and training, a trailer pulled with 10-30% of the rated axle capacity will automatically wear more on the outside as will a trailer used at 100-120% of rated axle capacity wear more on the inside of the tire--it is just how the torsion works.

Have straighten several spring type suspensions, and they did work for a while but have always just replaced the suspect torsen axle.
ND COWBOY
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-03-23 9:11 AM (#132010 - in reply to #131982)

Veteran

It was done at the Goodyear store across from Wallworks.
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2011-03-24 8:37 AM (#132043 - in reply to #131921)

Extreme Veteran

Well, not such good news from the alignment technician.

On my trailer the top bracket on the axle is welded directly to the bottom face of the frame.  Since the cross-members that hold the flooring are also welded to the bottom face of the frame, there is no clearance between the floor and the axle.  The tech said he has no way of getting his equipment in there, let alone having enough room to tweak the axles into alignment.

However, he did say that the alignment isn't too bad, and periodic tire rotations would do a lot for tire life.  I had stopped rotating the tires before, when I noticed the abnormal wear, so as not to ruin more tires.

In talking to the tech, and thinking about it, I see three options:

1. Run as is.  Probably wear tires faster than normal.

2. Replace the axles.

3. Block the axles away from the frame, and align.

I like option 3, since I would like a little more tongue and rear-end clearance, anyway.  But, I'd have to see how much is left of the bracket on the axle, after cutting it off the trailer.

In response to Spin Doctor's remarks, the technician did also mention that alignment changes a little with loading on the torsion axles.  He said he's never actually checked the alignment on a loaded trailer, but knows it is different.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)