'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Where to find parts for older ('81) trailer? NC/TN/GA area

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-11-12 11:08 AM
5 replies, 3811 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

threecatmanor
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-12 7:49 AM (#126975)
Subject: Where to find parts for older ('81) trailer? NC/TN/GA area

New User

Hello! New here....Just came home with a beastly 2H gooseneck 1981 "Turn" according to title. I assume that means "Turnbow" trailer with Dressing area.  Being advanced in age, we are taking out the windows,cleaning up the rust-and will be repainting it. Pulling floor up and all. Dressing area needs help too, as the paneling is pretty much coming off the walls.  Everything is pop riveted on this trailer(except the floor, but they probably would have if they could have)!! It is an old straight load with mangers and "midtack". However, someone has removed the dividers, and mangers so it is all open in horse area (complete with two different levels of flooring!) without a tack area at all.

I would like to add a slant wall to give us a mid tack again, obviously lift the floor to be all one level, and add more windows to increase ventilation and openness for the horses and finally gonna pretty up the Dressing room and make it a "weekender" type deal . Since we will be lifting the floor up a bit, it will be quite a step up for my smaller horses. Was hoping to change the rear bi- doors to a ramp.

Between my husband and I, LOTS of elbow grease, and a welder friend, I think we can tackle this. However, my biggest dilemma, is where to find parts....ie windows, A ramp????, other older hardware to fit the bygone era trailer-for example the square roof ventilations, which need to come out.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but the bones are good, and the trailer is fully insulated, with a fiberglass roof and has lots of possiblities. This was a really nice trailer in her day. Since we did an even trade for our other stock trailer and wanted something that had the capability of camping-the price was right.

I live in extreme western NC. Atlanta, Chattanooga, and Asheville are all only 2 hrs away. Does anyone know of any places to find parts? I found the traileraccessorystore which is quite helpful, but doesn't have everything.

I was thinking salvage yards?????

Thank you kindly. This website is great. I have searched and found many helpful threads -with pics too, but didn't see this specific question.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-11-12 8:28 AM (#126979 - in reply to #126975)
Subject: RE: Where to find parts for older ('81) trailer? NC/TN/GA area

Elite Veteran

If you check Dixie Horse and Mule, I think they have a section for parts on their website that might be helpful. Likewise Sundowner trailers. Several others will have many suggestions too but DHMC is somewhat in your area.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-11-12 9:39 AM (#126985 - in reply to #126975)

Expert

Finding OEM replacement parts may be difficult. Fortunately there are many new parts that can be adapted to fit your trailer. With a competent welder and a source of stock materials, a divider and slant wall can be fabricated and installed. A walk thru door could be installed in your new bulkhead. New windows and vents can be inserted, by altering the present opening sizes. Latches and hinge harware may be difficult to obtain and may need to be updated.

There have been several threads posted here, that inquired about the availability of ramps. Perform a search for 360 days and you should get some ideas. 

Working with steel is easier than aluminum. There is a larger source of supplies, the welding is less complex, and it is easier to recoat. With your labours, the trailer can be rebuilt exactly to your specifications, and even better than when new.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-11-12 10:23 AM (#126988 - in reply to #126975)

Expert

You may find something you can use from here....

http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/horse_trailer_parts/

http://hehr-international.com/

Edited by retento 2010-11-12 10:25 AM
threecatmanor
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-12 10:45 AM (#126989 - in reply to #126975)

New User

Excellent suggestions all! Thank you!

I will try "ramp" searching also.

Happy ...traileringtothe....trails!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-11-12 11:08 AM (#126990 - in reply to #126975)

Expert

This company has quite a few after market items:

http://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/windows,_feed_doors.htm

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format