'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Our weekend at Deam Lake, Indiana

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-10-26 11:20 PM
10 replies, 8744 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-10-12 11:05 AM (#125680)
Subject: Our weekend at Deam Lake, Indiana

Extreme Veteran

Deam Lake has recently converted 68 of their regular RV sites to horse sites.  We just spent 4 days there and had a lovely time!

The Good Things:  They have 6 of the prettiest barns I have ever seen at a campground.  Barn use is required for the sites next to the lake, but the other sites have nice tie rails, or you can put up a picket line.  The trails are wide and very well maintained...much of them were gravelled.  And the map actually matches the trails!!  The trails are color coded and well marked.  The DNR staff patrol regularly and will stop to see if you need anything, but were not intrusive. There was a pit toilet close to our site.  It was pretty dirty when we arrived, but I stopped one of the DNR guys and told him and they came and cleaned it right away.  Most sites have good shade.

The Not So Good Things:  Three of the 6 bath houses were closed for repair and the 3 that were open needed renovating.  But they were relatively clean and the water was hot.  Three shower stalls in the ladies'...the men's showers had no stalls, so I hope the guys aren't bashful!   Some of the asphault parking pads were not exactly level.  Most of them sloped up or down a bit, but some sloped side to side dramatically.  It might be a good idea to throw some 2x6 boards in the truck to drive the trailer up on.  They only have water spigots at about every 6th site, so you had better take a lot of hose or be prepared to tote buckets.

All in all it was a great weekend.  The horse thing is still fairly new to them, so I think in time they will get it ironed out.  I will definitely go back!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
TheOtherHorse
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-10-13 6:25 AM (#125716 - in reply to #125680)
Subject: RE: Our weekend at Deam Lake, Indiana

Regular

Thanks for the info, I've been wanting to go check it out there. Were the trails the type of gravel that you need pads on the horses, or would they be comfortable on it with just shoes?
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-10-13 12:40 PM (#125721 - in reply to #125680)

Veteran

Would like to know what kind of trails there are also, but I want to know difficulty?  Hills, rocky, how many miles?  We are about 3 1/2 hours away and typically ride Shawnee National Forest.  Like rugged trails--don't want to ride on the flat all day.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-10-13 5:24 PM (#125731 - in reply to #125680)

Extreme Veteran

It's driveway type gravel.  Our horses have shoes but no pads and did just fine.

The yellow trail goes all the way around the lake and is rolling hills.  A fast gaited horse could probably do it in 90 min.  Other trails lead off from the yellow trail.  The blue trail had some pretty steep hills.  I had to 'baby step' my horse down the hills and lean back in the saddle.

We did not encounter anything as challenging as Shawnee ( been there twice and love it) BUT, we had a novice rider with us and tried not to venture too far from camp.  We spoke to some regular campers who said that the red trail is quite challenging as well as some of the northern trails, which would have been more hours in the saddle than our novice friend could have handled.

Most of the trails we went on were wide enough for a small car.  No chance of knocking your knee on the trees.  But I understand some of the northern trails are single file.  Personally, I like to weave in and out of the trees a little bit.  But the wide trails sure are nice for gaitin' out!

Hope I answered your questions.  I'll try to post some pics later.

my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-10-14 9:58 AM (#125760 - in reply to #125680)

Veteran

Thanks for your post.  Some of the trails are actually getting pretty wide at Shawnee--much to our chagrin.  I appreciate the info.
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-10-17 2:23 PM (#125890 - in reply to #125760)

Veteran

These are our "home" trails and Dwight gave a very good review.  The barns are awesome aren't they?

The areas around Deams Lake aren't quite as hilly mostly - and the trails are wide.  The "new" trail around the front of the park going by the dam is the rockiest - it's a new trail this year.

Get more north-- going towards Clark State Forest (still in the same forest system) and the trails are more narrow and much more hilly. 

I'm not sure what is "red" over by Deams Lake-- if it's the Dry Fork Loop-- it's more challenging than anything we have ridden at Shawnee.   Part of one of those trails was just opened back up this summer due to storm damage.

All total-- there are approx 90 miles of trails-- but it's pretty spread out to do from one camp.

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-10-24 7:22 AM (#126182 - in reply to #125680)

Extreme Veteran

Poor Dwight and Disco bringing up the rear and eating dust!

ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-10-25 11:39 AM (#126213 - in reply to #125680)

Veteran

I can't see the pictures right now-- we were up on the Dry Fork Loop riding yesterday-- we passed lots of riders-- did you see a guy on a Rocky and a woman on a SSH with an orange helmet cover?
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-10-25 5:31 PM (#126223 - in reply to #126213)

Veteran

I can see the pictures now- we didn't see you-- it is awfully dry isn't it?  It seems that that will change after tomorrow
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-10-26 8:17 AM (#126255 - in reply to #125680)

Extreme Veteran

Those pics are from 3 weeks ago.  So, no I did not see you.

If you're interested... there is a ride in western KY the weekend of Nov. 12 at the Pennyrile State Park.  You can look it up on the Women on the Edge website.  It's called the Chilly Ride.

Zipitude
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-10-26 11:20 PM (#126299 - in reply to #125680)

Veteran

Went to Deam Lake over the weekend. Had a great time. The trails were very dusty from being so dry around here for so long. We rode the yellow loop east out of the camp then took the blue trail back up to the orange trail, I believe it was. Then rode the new trail around the lake. Nice trails, Great Campground. The barns are awesome, although you only get a stall if you camp in a sites close to the water, as horses are not allowed near the water. The shower houses do need upgrading, but I believe they are in the process of doing that now. We have been there twice, and loved it both times. It seems to me that this is a very under utilized campground, which is a shame, it's beautiful!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)