'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll GPS question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-30 10:00 AM
4 replies, 3321 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-06-29 4:41 PM (#121717)
Subject: GPS question

Expert

As a recent recepient of a Garman GPS, and being technologically challenged, I have a question. Will a GPS purchased in the states work in Canada, the British Isles or Europe? Do I need to purchase additional downloads for each country? It would be a most helpful devise if it could be used in other countries.

Thanks in advance

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-06-29 5:19 PM (#121720 - in reply to #121717)
Subject: RE: GPS question

Expert

epends on what features you want to use.

The GPS will function, You can leave bread crumb trails, set marks, track mileage and speed etc regardless of where you are.My GPS is 10-12 years old and has no maps internally.  It searches the sky and finds at least 3 satellites, and from that it will give me elevation, Long & Lat position,  my current & avg speed, Sunrise, My total elevation increase, total miles traveld, I can set waypoints etc.  And I can see no reason why those features wouldn't work anywhere in the world as long as it can find satellites in the sky.  I've used it in alaska, the US and Mexico with no problem.

If you are looking for directions to streets, actually seeing maps on the screen. That will be dependant on the GPS make and model and how much memory and what software the mfg downloaded. But the basics will work regardless.

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-06-29 6:20 PM (#121724 - in reply to #121717)

Regular

I own a Garmin GPS. I live in Canada and bought it here, then traveled to the U.S. with it. It is simple to move from Canada to the U.S. with the Garmin - when you are setting you address there is a place where it asks "country". You simply make Canada or the U.S. then it asks you for what state or provience you require. So I'm quite sure you won't have any issues to current maps in Canada. Also, there is a place where you can change the features so you can see your speed in kilometers per hour instead of miles, distance in kilometers, etc. That won't automatically change once you go into Canada, that will be up to you to change in the settings.

I cannot say whether it will have the European maps installed, I'm guessing not. But perhaps you can download them via the internet. Even without the maps you will have features such as speed, altitude, etc, but that really isn't the reason people have GPSs in most cases.

nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-06-30 8:22 AM (#121743 - in reply to #121717)

Veteran

Your Garmin should have preloaded maps of the US and Canada.  To check, just pick a city in canada and see if it will load your directions.  As far as coutries other than canada, you will need to visit Garmins website and check to see if they have maps for that area.

Bleve
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-06-30 10:00 AM (#121746 - in reply to #121717)

Regular

As noted, the GPS will work, it will find satellites and provide your position and other data. Now whether it will be loaded with maps that allow you to interpret that data is a different question. What model of GPS did you get and what basemaps are loaded on it. I have found the following website very helpful if yours is like mine (eTrex Vista HCx) and did not come loaded with very many maps: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ You can download various maps for every state but for trail use the topo maps are the most useful. It will not allow auto routing (turn by turn directions for driving) but it will show all the streets.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)