'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailering up/down steep grade...

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-03 2:53 PM
26 replies, 9599 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-06-03 10:35 AM (#120883 - in reply to #120877)
Subject: RE: trailering up/down steep grade...

Originally written by Prairieland on 2010-06-03 8:23 AM

We have always tapped brakes going down hill instead of applying the brakes steadily. We had a retired truck driver tell us this last weekend that the best way to do that is apply brakes steadily going downhill. Didn't know what to think because it was opposite from what we had heard. Then I read your post and agree with you but still think the retired truck driver would know the best way. What do you think?

As an old time truck driver from way back, from Colorado, with over a million and a half miles in big trucks, what he told you was not wrong, however, when you do it this way, the amount of pressure you put on the brakes is critical. With semi's and air brakes, you have an applied pressure air gauge that tells you how much pressure you are braking with. In the old days, before most of the trucks had jake brakes(engine brakes), you could come down a long grade a little bit faster by applying about 5 or 6 psi to your trailer brakes going down the hill. Not enough to overheat your brakes, but enough that you could go down the grade at maybe 20 mph instead of 15 mph. We are talking much slower speeds than what people drive now, and as I said, minimal pressure on the brakes. It's not the way I drive my pickup and trailer in the mountains now, and it's not what I would recommend. For one thing, our pickup brakes these days are disc brakes, and while they don't fade like the drum brakes do when hot, the rotors will warp and crack. The main thing in the mountains is to slow down at the top of the hill, before you start down- it takes a lot less brakes to do that than to try to slow down when you're gaining speed headed down the steep hill.

Good luck!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Prairieland
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-06-03 2:53 PM (#120890 - in reply to #120883)
Subject: RE: trailering up/down steep grade...

Slow is how we go. Once got on a road between caprock state park in Texas and Palo Duro Canyon State Park that put us in the red on rpm's. Slow we were going but just too long and too steep both down and up hill. Thanks for info. Makes sense! Will follow your advice.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)