'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Should I expect to pay full price for a new trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-04-12 7:08 PM
14 replies, 10331 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Black Bay
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-04-08 1:19 PM (#118598)
Subject: Should I expect to pay full price for a new trailer?

I'm considering buying a new Solo Brenderup (used ones are few and far away). Were I to find a used trailer, even from a dealer, I would never pay the asking price. But is it even worth trying to negotiate on a brand new one? Does anyone have any insight into how economic times are affecting new trailer sales? Any suggestions will get your horse a bag of virtual carrots. Thanks much!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-04-08 1:40 PM (#118599 - in reply to #118598)
Subject: RE: Should I expect to pay full price for a new trailer?

Expert

Originally written by Black Bay on 2010-04-08 1:19 PM

I'm considering buying a new Solo Brenderup (used ones are few and far away). Were I to find a used trailer, even from a dealer, I would never pay the asking price. But is it even worth trying to negotiate on a brand new one? Does anyone have any insight into how economic times are affecting new trailer sales? Any suggestions will get your horse a bag of virtual carrots. Thanks much!

My opinion is does not cost a dime to offer!  But on the other hand you will not be able to get upset if they tell you no or not adjust much on the trailer you are after.  If it was a trailer that was on every dealers lot accross the country then YES by all means I would expect them to adjust.  But since you have looked and they are few and far between and you want it then buy it.

Times are bad for everyone right now and trailer dealers as well and the higher end trailer I think or worse for the dealers now.

Thanks for the carrots...... 

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2010-04-08 3:08 PM (#118601 - in reply to #118598)

Extreme Veteran

I know out here in Calif. I see trailers from two years ago brand new still sitting on the lots. So out here, the trailer dealers are hurting. I was selling my old Logan a few weeks ago, and the folks that bought it looked at new ones, and they told me the dealers are sooooo hungry to sell, that they were dropping prices on new ones and bad mouthing private folks selling theirs. The dealer did as much to talk crap about my trailer in which he had never seen! The folks shook their heads and still ended up buying mine. I just bought a new one that sat for 3 years, got the warranty with it and everything, and for a way low price.

So don't be afraid to haggle with the dealers, I know sometimes it's a big pain in the butt, but you may walk away with a heck of a deal too. Good Luck!

Edited by cowpony01 2010-04-08 3:09 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-04-08 3:46 PM (#118604 - in reply to #118598)

Expert

Recently I shopped for a new trailer. It is of a custom design and will have to be built to unordinary specifications. There aren't any new ones like it sitting on a lot. I contacted many dealers and some manufacturers about its construction. In every case, I was offered a selling price of less than the suggested retail pricing. Everyone wanted to make a sale, and there is direct competition among the dealers.

The Brenderup is another story. It has little competition, because many people are willing to put up with its quirkiness, thinking it is the only trailer light enough to do the job. When you are the only game in town, you can command whatever the public is willing to bear. You will find few of these dealers willing to lower their prices, and with only one source of supply, few willing to be cut throat against their other dealers.

If you were interested in a Brenderup double trailer, there are alternatives that are better, weigh the same or less, and have many more features/amenities, for a lower price. With a solo, you have a limited supply and price options.

BOL  Gard

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-04-08 4:37 PM (#118607 - in reply to #118598)

Extreme Veteran

In all my horse travels I have only seen 1 Benderup which leads me to believe they are not very popular or more we be around new and used.
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-04-08 4:42 PM (#118608 - in reply to #118598)

Extreme Veteran

Black Bay, I don't know where you live but on here there are 33 Brenderups listed mainly from out East.

If you live elsewhere resale will be much lower as they will be less popular and harder to sell.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-04-08 5:03 PM (#118612 - in reply to #118598)

Expert

Some Brenderup stuff.....

http://www.mrtrailer.com/brenderuptour.htm

http://www.mrtrailer.com/brenderup.htm

http://www.mrtruck.net/qstour5.htm

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-04-08 5:47 PM (#118613 - in reply to #118598)

Regular

I agree that supply and demand means that less common type trailers will probably retain their value. On the other hand, did you know that Brenderup DOES have competition now? Just last year a company called Bockman (I think that's spelled correct) also began to import trailers very similar to Brenderup. And the Bockmans are somewhat cheaper. They remain small, light weight, made of fiberglass and similar to Brenderup. I would suggest going onto google and typing in the name Bockman trailer and see what you discover.

My friend bought a Bockman last fall after doing lots of research on Brenderup. The dealer here in Alberta that sells Brenderup was the person that pointed her to the Bockmans because she was also bringing them into the area. I believe my friend paid about $10,000 for hers new. It is a two horse straight load, light enough that she can roll it on the ball if she's not backed up exactly correctly, and seems to be very user friendly. I believe they're made in Europe also, obviously by horsemen because they have lots of common sense features, and every inch is used wisely.

Having said that, I'm not a big fan of the tiny trailers. I know they are taller and bigger inside than they look, but space is at such a premium that there's no room to carry even a single bale, and the tack storage area is so tiny you can't fit in a full sized Western saddle. But most of all, I worry about the theory that small vehicles can pull them. Yes, they're light so a small truck can move them. but can a small truck control them when things get windy? Or what happens if you have to make a sudden stop? There are enough posts here about large trucks that have problems pulling larger trailers, I tend to picture the worst when I imagine a tiny Dakota pulling two horses down the freeway in a tiny trailer.

But i could be wrong. If you do decide to go that way, check out Bockman.

And I would positively try to work a deal. I've found that asking nicely but seriously can bring rewards. Something as simple as "What's the best possible price you could offer?" can work, also make them an offer of what you're willing to pay. I don't think you have anything to loose by trying, especially if you do your homework. you can say "I saw a 2009 Brenderup listed on equinetrader for $9,000, so I'm wondering what I'd have to pay for one if I buy it here." Just be aware that each dealer has their own policies. Some expect to bargin. Some will not budge no matter you do. Some will be more desperate at this time.  Good luck and happy shopping.

Black Bay
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-04-09 9:20 AM (#118622 - in reply to #118608)

Originally written by laurie on 2010-04-08 4:42 PM

Black Bay, I don't know where you live but on here there are 33 Brenderups listed mainly from out East.

If you live elsewhere resale will be much lower as they will be less popular and harder to sell.

I'm in Minnesota. I think the opposite would be true--the fewer on the market in a given region, the more valuable and perhaps sought-after.
Black Bay
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-04-09 9:23 AM (#118624 - in reply to #118612)

Originally written by retento on 2010-04-08 5:03 PM

Some Brenderup stuff.....

http://www.mrtrailer.com/brenderuptour.htm

http://www.mrtrailer.com/brenderup.htm

http://www.mrtruck.net/qstour5.htm

Thanks so much! I had already stumbled across these links. I've also watched the video from Brenderup (seveal times) and will be looking at one in person at our upcoming Horse Expo.

Black Bay
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-04-09 10:27 AM (#118629 - in reply to #118613)

Originally written by Cowgirl-h on 2010-04-08 5:47 PM

I agree that supply and demand means that less common type trailers will probably retain their value. On the other hand, did you know that Brenderup DOES have competition now? Just last year a company called Bockman (I think that's spelled correct) also began to import trailers very similar to Brenderup. And the Bockmans are somewhat cheaper. They remain small, light weight, made of fiberglass and similar to Brenderup. I would suggest going onto google and typing in the name Bockman trailer and see what you discover.

My friend bought a Bockman last fall after doing lots of research on Brenderup. The dealer here in Alberta that sells Brenderup was the person that pointed her to the Bockmans because she was also bringing them into the area. I believe my friend paid about $10,000 for hers new. It is a two horse straight load, light enough that she can roll it on the ball if she's not backed up exactly correctly, and seems to be very user friendly. I believe they're made in Europe also, obviously by horsemen because they have lots of common sense features, and every inch is used wisely.

Having said that, I'm not a big fan of the tiny trailers. I know they are taller and bigger inside than they look, but space is at such a premium that there's no room to carry even a single bale, and the tack storage area is so tiny you can't fit in a full sized Western saddle. But most of all, I worry about the theory that small vehicles can pull them. Yes, they're light so a small truck can move them. but can a small truck control them when things get windy? Or what happens if you have to make a sudden stop? There are enough posts here about large trucks that have problems pulling larger trailers, I tend to picture the worst when I imagine a tiny Dakota pulling two horses down the freeway in a tiny trailer.

But i could be wrong. If you do decide to go that way, check out Bockman.

And I would positively try to work a deal. I've found that asking nicely but seriously can bring rewards. Something as simple as "What's the best possible price you could offer?" can work, also make them an offer of what you're willing to pay. I don't think you have anything to loose by trying, especially if you do your homework. you can say "I saw a 2009 Brenderup listed on equinetrader for $9,000, so I'm wondering what I'd have to pay for one if I buy it here." Just be aware that each dealer has their own policies. Some expect to bargin. Some will not budge no matter you do. Some will be more desperate at this time.  Good luck and happy shopping.

Thanks for suggesting the Bockman. I'll look into it. The Brenderup appeals to me because I only have one horse and would use the trailer for short trips. We have a Honda Pilot soon to be equipped with a towing package. I figure I can throw my tack and hay (in one of those canvas duffle carriers) in the back of the vehicle.

I can understand why we tend to reject these smaller, lighter trailers, but after seeing the video, I really believe in them.

eeyore4176
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2010-04-09 10:37 AM (#118631 - in reply to #118598)

I know the dealerships around here have been offering incentives with lower costs on some trailers, so it wouldn't hurt to offer a lower amount and work with them.  If they say they won't negotiate, then you know you either need to pay full price or look at something different.

I have seen one Benderup at our local trails last year.  Nice trailer.  Do you have a dealership near you that will service it?  We haven't had to take our trailer back at all for anything, but it's nice knowing that we have one somewhat close if warrenty work needs to be done.

Safet
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-04-09 11:03 AM (#118634 - in reply to #118598)

Veteran

http://www.boeckmann.com.au/mainmenu.htmlIf this a correct link to information, they look similar to Brenderup to me. But something that tight kind of scares me - I like to be able to move around my horse in the trailer.
woodrow
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-04-09 8:38 PM (#118656 - in reply to #118598)

I just purchased a 2010 model trailer ( Royal T ) at a local dealership in my area and got what I consider a fair price. Not knowing the invoice ( what the dealer pays ) makes it tougher than buying a car, but I did enough research on the web to have a good idea what I should pay. I think there is more to think about than just the initial cost however; if you're purchasing a new trailer, you want to make sure the seller will do a good job honoring the warranty should there be any problems and offers good service. That's important to me, anyway. If you've picked out a new trailer and they won't budge on the price, you might be able to negotiate for some options or add-ons like a water tank, swing-outs or extra matting, etc.. Good luck, hope you find something you like. It took me many months to find my "perfect" new trailer ;)
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-04-12 7:08 PM (#118737 - in reply to #118622)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Black Bay on 2010-04-09 9:20 AM

Originally written by laurie on 2010-04-08 4:42 PM

I'm in Minnesota. I think the opposite would be true--the fewer on the market in a given region, the more valuable and perhaps sought-after.

The reason I say that is because I had a Titan taht are more popular in the midwest and when I was in Texas looking to trade they wouldn't give me as much for it because they were not as popluar there. That is my reasoning on taht statement

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)