'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailer jack

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-04-12 8:56 AM
1 replies, 2594 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bovinedoc
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-04-12 7:53 AM (#118714)
Subject: trailer jack

New User

Reguarding using impact wrench nothing modified on trailer could still use original jack handle if battery needs to be recharged on impact. Bolt with flanges same as jack handle. Can be used on any trailer nothing permanently attached.Just wondering if anyone has ever tried it. THANKS!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-04-12 8:56 AM (#118717 - in reply to #118714)
Subject: RE: trailer jack

Expert

This idea was discussed a while ago within the forum, and I'll be darned if I can find the applicable threads. I had the same issues; the cost of installing two new jacks, and my physical discomfort with the cranking.

Because we don't usually unhook the trailer during our travels, I elected to use an AC 110 V, 1/2" drive variable speed drill. If we were to have a need to unhook at shows, we are usually plugged in with shore cords, so power is usually available.

I bought grade 8 bolts whose heads fit the trailers' jacking sockets. I ground flats on the threaded shanks to give a better purchase with the chuck's jaws. By using a large 1/2" drill, the long handles greatly reduce the torque on my wrists and arms. The AC drill is a fraction of the cost, of your mentioned battery powered drill.

One thing I would be leery of, and this is only my impression, is using an impact variant drill. I realize the impact blows are many, singularly not large, but collectively, they are significant. The gearboxes in the jacks weren't design for this type of torque, a hammering staccato, and I would think a constant application of this sort, could result in internal damage.

Electric drills do work, be careful with the torque on your wrists. People have injured them selves by using high speeds and running the jacks to the stops. The jacks should also be properly lubricated and maintained, so no binding will occur while they are being used.

BOL  Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)