'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Structural Damage to a Vehicle -still suitable for towing?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-06-07 11:10 PM
7 replies, 3807 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

nolefan
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2009-06-06 11:01 AM (#106047)
Subject: Structural Damage to a Vehicle -still suitable for towing?

Regular

Our truck was involved in an accident Friday - not our fault - and most importantly no injuries.  The truck was hit on the left rear wheel.  The truck when into a spin, crossed the median and then came to a halt on the curb in the oncoming lane of traffic.  A tree was also hit in the process.

The truck has a flat left tire, and damage to both rear wheel wells.  Possibility of some structural damage - and damage to the rear axel.

My question is - if the truck can be safely repaired - will it still be suitable for light towing? (2 horse BP).  I am hoping the truck can be repaired and will not be totaled. (Can't afford to buy another one at this time).

Any suggestions?  Ford 150 2005 model.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-06-06 2:26 PM (#106053 - in reply to #106047)
Subject: RE: Structural Damage to a Vehicle -still suitable for towing?

Expert

My Internet opinion only ...

The rear axle has suffered significant unintentional loading.  Getting hit at the wheel might have bent the rotating members and overloaded the bearings.  Or the axle housings are bent. upsetting the differential gears alignment & clearance.

Roller bearings are funny creatures.  They don't take overloads well.  A single momentary overload can cause a premature failure.  Over time the rollers cycle over the small dent or crack.  The defect gets larger and larger until the bearing can't hold together.  Make sure the insurance adjuster is aware of the point of impact.  A whole new axle assembly is not uncalled for in my opinion...

As for the frame, it'll be repairable and suitable for towing again.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-06-06 5:17 PM (#106055 - in reply to #106047)

Elite Veteran

Adding to Hosspuller's comment..... Taking a hit on the wheel is not the load the wheel/axle system was designed to do. All the mechanical components should be checked (wheel, wheel bearings, hub, axle, differential, etc.) and the frame should be checked as well.

Many years ago I slid sideways in a car in the snow and smacked sideways into a curb. Very low speed, maybe 20 mph. Cracked the wheel, damaged the hub assembly, and darn near bent the frame, which would have totaled my less than 4 year old car at the time.

Have to agree with Hosspuller, a new axle assembly isn't out of the question.

Edited by headhunter 2009-06-06 5:19 PM
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-06-06 8:56 PM (#106060 - in reply to #106047)

Expert

Originally written by nolefan on 2009-06-06 12:01 PM

Our truck was involved in an accident Friday - not our fault - and most importantly no injuries.  The truck was hit on the left rear wheel.  The truck when into a spin, crossed the median and then came to a halt on the curb in the oncoming lane of traffic.  A tree was also hit in the process.

The truck has a flat left tire, and damage to both rear wheel wells.  Possibility of some structural damage - and damage to the rear axel.

My question is - if the truck can be safely repaired - will it still be suitable for light towing? (2 horse BP).  I am hoping the truck can be repaired and will not be totaled. (Can't afford to buy another one at this time).

Any suggestions?  Ford 150 2005 model.

If the insurance company totals it...then the issue will be how much they will value they will place on it...there are plenty of deals on new vehicles at this time...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2009-06-06 8:57 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-06 10:29 PM (#106065 - in reply to #106047)

Expert

I agree with the two previous posts. The axle should be replaced with a new unit. The frame is a boxed hyroformed piece, and isn't as easily repaired or straightened as the older open "C" shaped frames. Only a competent frame shop, taking accurate measurements, can determine to what extent any frame bending has taken place. You can't tell this with only a cursory, visual inspection. Most frame shops are equipped to effect any repairs. The bed sheet metal is basic and is easily repaired.

The 150 is an ideal tow vehicle for a BP trailer, depending on which engine you have. The V 6 would be under powered and not recommended. The 4.6 will do, but hills will be traveled slowly. The 5.4 is the best choice. If your truck is not presently set up for towing, you will need a brake controller, a HD transmission oil cooler, and if you're changing the axle, a good towing ratio with a limited slip differential installed. Heavier ply rear tires and a rear suspension upgrade, (air bags, Timbrens, shocks) wouldn't be out of the question. You will need a frame mounted receiver, which is available from many sources.

If properly repaired and equipped, your truck can be both an ideal tow vehicle for a smaller trailer, and a daily driver.

Gard

DKB
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2009-06-07 7:26 PM (#106092 - in reply to #106047)

I had a similar accident occur as Headhunter and the truck was more valuable to me than the totaled amount this insurance co. wanted to give. I gathered all the previsous two year repair records and faxed them to the agent to support my case, and not total my truck, but repair it. I worked.

I would suggest this if the truck can be repaired and made safe again.
DKB
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2009-06-07 8:45 PM (#106098 - in reply to #106047)

Correction.....

It worked.. not I worked.
301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-06-07 11:10 PM (#106101 - in reply to #106047)

Veteran

Some of my tow vehicles came out of the salvage yard with varying degress of damage.  My main towing vehicle for a number of years was totalled out.  I rebuilt and have pulled it 80K trouble free miles.  It actually had to come to the rescue of my later model never wrecked truck here recently.  If done properly a rebuilt vehicle is just as good or sometimes even better than some of the newer stuff IMO.  If you like it, fix it right and keep on driving it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)