'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
If money were no object....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-06-08 6:33 AM
10 replies, 9108 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

notasoccermom68
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-05 9:56 AM (#105992)
Subject: If money were no object....

What brand and/or type of construction trailer would you buy for it's longevity and structural soundess (not talking about models here, just construction types)?

What trailer manufacturer do feel makes the best quality trailer?

What construction types below offer the best anti-corrosion combined with structural strength:

All Aluminum Frame and Skin

All Galvanized Steel Frame and Skin

Galvanized Steel Frame with Aluminum Skin

That seems to cover most construction choices that are offered right now.  Of course regular steel is still an option for the frame and/or skin but I think that one is not a really good choice with it's rustability.

My Trail-et dilemma got me thinking that I should have researched things further before getting this one!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-06-05 10:20 AM (#105995 - in reply to #105992)
Subject: RE: If money were no object....

Veteran

If I could buy any trailer I wanted, I would really like to try a Twisted X out. They look super nice but cost a lot of money. Than to pull it I'd like a mini semi (not that you asked).
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-05 10:39 AM (#105997 - in reply to #105992)

Expert

Originally written by notasoccermom68 on 2009-06-05 9:56 AM

What brand and/or type of construction trailer would you buy for it's longevity and structural soundess (not talking about models here, just construction types)? What trailer manufacturer do feel makes the best quality trailer?

I don't believe there is a "best" trailer. What I want and need usually will differ from other people. Some owners do nothing but show. Others only camp, many are serious trail riders. We all have different needs. There are many quality trailers that are being made by various manufacturers. One thing to quickly learn, is that the most expensive trailers are not the "best" trailers.

What construction types below offer the best anti-corrosion combined with structural strength: All Aluminum Frame and Skin

By far this is the trailer construction that offers the best longevity and the lowest maintenance in unpleasant environments. Bimetal trailers are built for economy, and will usually have galvanic problems with age. All steel are good choices in weather environments that are not conducive to rusting.

I live in the rust belt. I've owned three all steel trailers and have had to rebuild each one. They always had rust issues somewhere. I now own two all aluminum trailers, both purchased used, and have been able to enjoy a minimal upkeep and a great deal of pride in their appearance. At eight and nine years of age, they have zero mechanical or cosmetic issues. They are like new, and I couldn't be more pleased.

The builders of steel trailers will constantly harp on the "problems" of using the "soft" and "weak" aluminum metals and how the welds are constantly failing. This is nothing more than pure bunk, as proven by the thousands of reliable aluminum trailers on the road every day. Many transportation devises use aluminum construction.

I'm sorry that your first buying effort involved that brand and condition. There are many good used trailers of many brands available every day. A good one won't be inexpensive, but it could also last you a lifetime with a minimal amount of concerns. That would be the least expensive ownership, buy one good one and keeping it for a long time.

BOL  Gard

dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-05 3:28 PM (#106014 - in reply to #105992)

Veteran

If money was no problem I would be trading trailer every 2yrs then you wouldn't have to worry about trailer maintenance. You can try alot of trailer that way and different conversion pkgs. Yep trade every 2 yrs, you said if money was no problem.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-06-05 7:46 PM (#106025 - in reply to #105995)

Expert

If I could buy any trailer I wanted, I would really like to try a Twisted X out. They look super nice but cost a lot of money. Than to pull it I'd like a mini semi (not that you asked).

With a chauffeur to drive it for me.

Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2009-06-05 11:02 PM (#106032 - in reply to #105992)

Regular

I'd buy a Blue Moon trailer, with living quarters.
Barfly
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-06-06 6:14 AM (#106036 - in reply to #105992)

Veteran

Hey Jean

Im with you on the Blue Moon ....which model would you take ????

I like the DBL Story one with tail bags...LOL

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-06-06 9:35 AM (#106042 - in reply to #105992)

Elite Veteran

And the jacuzzi and personal masseuse! All kidding aside, an Elite or a Turnbow. Mid tack, access doors on both sides. All aluminum, rumber floor (?) or equifoam mats over rhino lining over aluminum floor.  
notasoccermom68
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-06-06 1:54 PM (#106052 - in reply to #105992)

Ha ha, great replies. Gard, thanks for your input. I actually am returning the Trail-et to the dealer, thankfully he will take it back. The welder said the entire thing would need to be reframed, and he could do it for $500. But after we started to tear out the tackroom floor, I don't see how he could even fix it. There was no good steel left to attach new steel too! It was REALLY bad, I'm surprised it's still traveling down the right right now and I'm praying we can get it back to the dealer in one piece. I certainly would never feel safe with my horses in it even if he did fix it, and to me it would have been putting a band-aid on a broken arm.Chalk it up to a lesson learned, and I'm back on the trailer hunt, hopefully much better educated this time!
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-06-08 3:00 AM (#106102 - in reply to #105992)

Expert

If MONEY were NO OBJECT...then this is the rig for you... * Featherlite 53-ft. OECountry Estate¹ ­ The Featherlite Country Estate model features a massive 33-ft. Sierra living quarters with four slide outs. Behind the owners¹ living quarters is an upper-deck three-horse slant load plus one-horse straight load configuration. Interior amenities include a slate-finished fireplace, copper sinks, hand scraped old barn hickory floors in 5-inch planks, a 32-inch flat screen TV that emerges from behind the mantle with remote-control power lift and many more! http://www.mrtruck.net/f_pic/feath53a.jpg http://www.mrtruck.net/f_pic/feath53d.jpg http://www.mrtruck.net/f_pic/feather53c.jpg

Edited by PaulChristenson 2009-06-08 3:03 AM
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-06-08 6:33 AM (#106105 - in reply to #105992)

Veteran

As the minority voice, I prefer steel. Galvaneel steel rusts at a much less faster rate than traditional steel. It also depends on where you live and if you drive in the winter on salted roads. I have owned steel trailers since 1970. My trailer is stored inside, and I do not use it in the winter, which is important to deter rust. I also wax it yearly. Rust is not a problem.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)