'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
alum trailer WEIGHT comparisions=>structural integrity?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-06-08 3:51 PM
3 replies, 3620 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

shoveltrash
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-06-07 9:53 PM (#106100)
Subject: alum trailer WEIGHT comparisions=>structural integrity?

well i've done gone and sold my ancient Ford truck, AND my old GN stock trailer....

now shopping for a 2H GN alum trailer to 'upgrade.'  i've done tons of research, but have found that not all manufacturers list structural information that i'd like to compare!  of specific interest to me is weight: 

i'm looking at two trailers, almost identical size-wise, etc.  trailer #1 weighs 2500lbs, trailer #2 weighs closer to 3600.  why the great difference?  what is a *GOOD* empty weight for a all-alum. 2H GN trailer?

to quote Gard from another thread "If a trailer is built like a beverage can, to save weight and the manufacturer money, it will not be long lived. If it is competently constructed as some of the higher end trailers are, it will be durable and survive the wear and tear of equine travels"

construction matters to me.  thoughts?  opinions?

btw i'll be pulling with a '02 F250 7.3L 4x4 ext bed truck. (oh and fyi, trailer #1 is a Shadow, and #2 is a 4-star ;). 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-06-08 8:56 AM (#106111 - in reply to #106100)
Subject: RE: alum trailer WEIGHT comparisions=>structural integrity?

Veteran

Sent you a PM

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-08 9:20 AM (#106114 - in reply to #106100)

Expert

If you are comparing the weights of all aluminum trailers, you still have to compare apples to apples. The total mass of the trailers should be equal for a direct comparison. In other words, are the box lengths including the dressing areas the same? Are the roof heights and widths equal? Are the goose areas the same heights? Do both include aluminum roofs or does one have a fiberglass cap? Do both trailers have lined walls and ceilings?

If these points are roughly comparable, then the only difference can be the actual structure of the trailer. First of all is the frame. The heavier the members are, and the more of them that are installed, the stronger the frame will become. An "I" beam is stronger than a "C" or "L" shaped beam. A totally boxed beam is the strongest. The less the distance between them is important. The less the spacing of the floor joists and wall studs are, the stronger the structure will be.

The type of flooring is important. Some builders use a single sheet of aluminum for the flooring. Others use individual, interlocking "planks", welded to each floor joist. The later results in a very rigid and strong platform. It also results in a heavier  construction with more labour costs.

The wall skin and roofing will also cause a difference in weight. Obviously a thicker metal will weigh more than a thinner example, and a trailer clad with a smooth skin will weigh less than a trailer fitted with extrusions on the lower half.

The axles, brakes, wheels and tires also vary in weight. In an effort to save money, some manufacturers will put a lighter running gear on a trailer, and run it at or even over, its maximum rating. These are the trailers that are commonly complained about, concerning blow outs and broken suspensions. A well built trailer will have a more rugged suspension; the components will weigh more, and the additional vehicle weight is a tip off.

If two trailers are very similar in size and shape, and one weighs substantially less than the other, the only difference can be in the amount of construction materials, that were used to fabricate each one. I would favour the heavier one, in the assumption that it is better constructed and will be longer lasting.

The "light" and "Sport" trailers are built for monetary advantages and the ability to be pulled by a smaller tow vehicle. They are not equal in ruggedness for someone who intends to use his trailer often, at its maximum capacity, or over unfavourable road conditions. They may not offer the long term serviceability some people desire. They may be suitable for the occasional lighter usage.

More materials cost more money to purchase and the labour to install. Usually the least expensive trailer will involve less of both. It is wise to visually inspect the trailers you are considering. Shows are the best avenues, wherein various brands sit side by side. Look underneath the ones of which you are interested, and directly compare their constructions. This is more telling of their potential longevity, than the colours of the curtains.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-06-08 11:30 AM
shoveltrash
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-06-08 3:51 PM (#106129 - in reply to #106100)

thank you thank you for the indepth detailed reply Gard!

to answer your initial question, yes, the trailers are identical in dimensions.  the 4-star i have eye-balled up close and personal (even crawling underneath!).  i was impressed with the structure, even though i'm not an expert at evaluating such things.  the Shadow i have not seen, personally.  i'm thinking of going with the 4-star.....if i can get the seller down to a good price :).

and thanks also for the pms i have received!!!  this forum is INVALUABLE for the wealth of information and expertise.  as well as reading the experiences of regular-old horse haulers like me :D.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)