'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buying used truck chip

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-02 11:04 AM
5 replies, 3670 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-01-01 10:00 AM (#96792)
Subject: Buying used truck chip

Veteran

Are there any common problems with buying used diesel truck chips?  I am thinking of the Diablo sport predator for my 2002 Duramax.    Anyone use it?  I'm curious because as I scrolled through listings on ebay, I saw one that talked about being "locked" and needing to be unlocked for a fee of almost $100 from the company.   Can I get screwed over by buying a "locked" unit? Maybe this is a problem specific to this kind of chip?

Anybody else have a chipped duramax?  What did you put in it? 

Amanda

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-01 10:57 AM (#96794 - in reply to #96792)
Subject: RE: Buying used truck chip

Expert

The chip controls every function of your engine and automatic transmission. These are extremely expensive components, and any failure can leave you in dire straights. The costs of the new chips have come down somewhat, and there are many proven brands of which to choose.

I would not purchase any used chip for my truck. This is not a component of which you want the cheapest available. You don't know why it was replaced, if it has been modified or anything about its history. The correct chip in your truck, can be left installed for as long as you own your truck. If it is working well, there is no reason to exchange it. I would have to question why it is being offered for sale.

When you purchase a chip, many criteria have to be met. Your usage, your equipment and driving needs and habits, will determine which chip to buy. Some have adjustable settings, and the motor's output, as well as the transmission shift points and converter lock up, can be varied according to your needs and circumstances. You have no way of knowing what criteria the used chip encompasses.

The wrong chip can quickly damage your truck. It is not worth saving a couple of hundred dollars to purchase an unknown, used electrical component. It could easily cost you thousands of dollars, in drive train repairs. Purchase a new name brand chip that is specific to your truck and needs.

Gard

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-01-01 12:09 PM (#96796 - in reply to #96792)

Expert

First I would say get over the dieselplace.com and ask over there, they are performance nuts.

Secondly, once you see how easy it will be to damage your transmission with more power, you may think twice about using a chip in the truck you haul your horses with. 

IMO these late model diesel have more than enough power.  My pickup was purchased to work, not play.  I will not compromise its reliability for a little more power.  With a little digging you will also find the claimed mpg increase from using a chip/tune are not always "accurate".

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-01-01 2:19 PM (#96797 - in reply to #96792)

Expert

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-01-01 3:02 PM (#96798 - in reply to #96797)

Expert

Originally written by retento on 2009-01-01 2:19 PM

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Actaullly this link will get you straight to the tuner section.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-01-02 11:04 AM (#96817 - in reply to #96792)

Expert

A "chip" and a module is not actually the same!  A chip can be reprogramed a module come as a set unit.  Unless you buy something like the edge with the extra programmer or a downloader.  Problems with the downloader if your truck is in warranty and you break down and can not remove the programe before you take it to the shop, you not only loss you programe you could void your warranty.  With the chip or plug in module you just unplug it and send it to the shop with no signs of upgrades!

I have not done any GM's yet.  But have used the Diablo power puck and Edge for the Dodge and Edge and TS performance for Ford and have had good luck with all.  Even used Quadzilla on both, but was blowing the tips off of the injectors on my Dodge.

I would check out the Edge products for the GM and read the fine print.  The Edge EZ is a simple plug in module and is great for towing and fuel mileage and is around 65hp gain.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)