'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cost for Wall Tongue & Groove

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-04 4:08 AM
14 replies, 10210 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-12-28 1:54 PM (#96586)
Subject: Cost for Wall Tongue & Groove

Veteran

I'm trying to decide what to use for the walls (paneling) in my LQ. I want to make this as easy as possible so I would like to use ready made 4x8 panels but I can't find any that I like. I've seen pictures of other people's LQ's with beautiful wood walls and it looks like individual planks of wood about 3-4 inches in width.

I've seen on the Lowe's website some individual wood boards (tongue & goove???) at about $14 for a 14sqft pack. That sounds like it could quickly become *very* expensive to use for the walls in a LQ, even a small LQ. Is that the stuff people have used to have the pretty wood walls? If yes, about how many packs (at 14sqft per pack) would be needed for a 4' short wall LQ?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-12-28 3:13 PM (#96587 - in reply to #96586)
Subject: RE: Cost for Wall Tongue & Groove

Veteran

My Lowes store has tongue and groove paneling sheets in the store but I don't see it on the website.  If I get a chance I will stop in and get information.  It wasn't that expensive and looked nice. 

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-12-28 3:47 PM (#96591 - in reply to #96586)

Expert

Measure the square footage of the interior you want to finish. Add 20%. Divide that figure by 14 and that will give you the number of packages you will need. Multiply that by $14 and you will have your cost for the paneling part.

Gard

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-12-28 10:04 PM (#96605 - in reply to #96586)

I got some yellow pine v tongue and grove approx 4 inches wide for something like 90 cents a running foot about a month ago (for use in the house) You might check with a lumber yard as well as Lowe's....the lumber yard helped me do the math....and I thought the boards were very nice; unfinished but very smooth and finished looking.
Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-12-29 2:44 AM (#96609 - in reply to #96586)

Veteran

I am using the pine tongue & grove that you are talking about from Lowe's and so far I have bought 13 boxes and I figure I will need maybe 4 more and I stained them and used Thompson Water sealer on them and they look great and I am using them on the ceiling to,so much easer to work with than 4 x 8 sheets of paneling, an I have a six foot short wall ten foot long wall, they look better than any wood paneling I have seen out there an less you order it
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-12-29 6:42 AM (#96611 - in reply to #96586)

Extreme Veteran

I bought the unfinished tongue and groove look wood paneling - purchased it at Home Depot - and just finished it with two coats of varathane varnish.  We used pine tongue and groove planks for the cabinets with the same finish.  It came out really nice.  I keep meaning to post some pictures of the finished project. 

It's a 3 1/2 foot short wall.  It has two lower cabinets, two overhead cabinets and a utility closet.  It's not very big, but it's fine for me and a close friend!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-12-29 6:49 AM (#96612 - in reply to #96586)

Expert

Lumber is sold by the Board Foot.    1 foot x 1 foot x 1" thick.

Any lumber you pick up is ultimately priced using this formula.  A 4" wide by 3' foot long by 1" thick piece still = 1 board foot.

Suppliers that sell wood flooring will also be an option. Wood flooring comes in 2-3-4-5-6" wide planks in almost ANY hardwood you could desire. You can buy it already distressed, hand scraped, pre finished or raw and you will need to finish it.  Most wood flooring comes in 3/4" thick pieces in the unfinished woods.  3/4" finished = 1" rough.  So even though you get a 3/4" piece, it started as a 1" thick and was planned on 4 sides to give a smooth surface. The result is that it's now 3/4" and you pay for 1"

They also sell Engineered Woods.  Where they place a thin veneer of real wood on the surface and add a backer of a manufactured wood.  Something like a particle board or MDF material.  These usually sell for less than a real plank of wood, mainly because you only used 1/8" thickness of real wood. The arguement for them is that they are more stable. Less prone to swelling and movement due to moisture in a home. They also come prefinished. The ceramic coating they put on in a controlled oven is hard to match with an on-site finish. And hey usualy are ony 3/8" thick.  Because they are thinner and use a filler material for backing they usualy weigh a lot less than real wood.

I usually figure that real hard wood. Oak, Maple, Ash, Hickory, will run about $2.50 to $4.50 per sq foot in random lengths. I much prefer the real wood vs the engineered wood for a home floor. It just wears better and if damaged I can come back and resand it and refinish it. An engineered wood can not be resanded since the finish is very very thin.

Any of these flooring products wil work for wal paneling. They are have some kind of a tongue and groove . The engineered products have a snap/click edge that holds them in place.

4x8 paneling is another option. And most people think of for walls in homes.  Since it saves so much time in labor. These sheets are usualy only a 1/4" to 3/8" thick.  They will bow/bend  somewhat. And while the stores may not stock a lot of variety. The manufactures do make a broad spectrum of woods and color choices. Go into a lumber yard and ask to see their panelling catolog and have them order in what you want.  Of course if Lowes or Home Depot stocks it, it will be cheaper.

Edited by Painted Horse 2008-12-29 8:38 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-12-29 9:34 AM (#96621 - in reply to #96586)

Expert

We have a company nearby, "Builder's Surplus" that sells flooring at greatly reduced prices. They buy the end runs and sell finished flooring for as little as $1 sq/ft. You have to make sure you buy all you need up front. If you need extra materials later, there is a poor chance of getting a matching product.

As PH stated, the factory applied finishes are durable and evenly applied. It is almost impossible to duplicate them in the field.

Gard

Mandi
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-12-30 4:20 PM (#96700 - in reply to #96586)

Charter Member

I used the stuff from Lowe's that you are talking about, but ended up purchasing a lot more packages than I expected. The quality of the wood isn't excellent in many of the packs and since I didn't stain mine (though I don't know if it would matter if you did) I had to throw out a lot because the wood had a green color to sections. I was rather disappointed over it, but I like the appearance...

If I had the time to do it over again, I would have stained it. Still can go back and clear coat or stain it, but I will need to re-do the entire door. The wood color has changed from me leaving the door open here at home while working in the trailer...
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-12-30 4:46 PM (#96703 - in reply to #96586)

Elite Veteran

One item to note is to make sure that the truck and trailer is able to handle the extra weight of tongue and grove. By using this type of material you are adding considerable weight to the trailer before adding the rest of the appliances etc.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-12-30 5:04 PM (#96706 - in reply to #96586)

We have looked at the  4"  T&G pine at Home Depot. Right beside it, they also have a  4"  T&G white vinyl wainscot. I wonder how durable that would be on the walls in a DR? Seems like you would just be able to wipe it down. The display shows the application in kitchens and bathrooms.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-12-30 6:15 PM (#96715 - in reply to #96586)

Elite Veteran

In one of our earlier LQ's, we put oak floors, cabinets, and lightweight oak ceilings... We used a very light color Minwax poly on it, and a very durable coat of something on the floors... they still got pitted and scratched. When we sold it we sanded and re-stained the floors...It was one of the prettiest interiors I've seen.
Mandi
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-01-03 11:02 AM (#96855 - in reply to #96703)

Charter Member

Originally written by ponytammy on 2008-12-30 4:46 PM

One item to note is to make sure that the truck and trailer is able to handle the extra weight of tongue and grove. By using this type of material you are adding considerable weight to the trailer before adding the rest of the appliances etc.

Something I've noticed is the T&G @ Home Depot & the T&G @ Lowe's is different.

The stuff I've been getting at Lowe's isn't very sturdy or thick (compared to other materials I could have chosen) & I don't think the weight is extremely different, depending on what other option you would have chosen.

Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-01-04 3:55 AM (#96873 - in reply to #96586)

Veteran

Mandi is right it took me more than I thought too, but it was only $330 dollars to do mine, and to get nice paneling you are going to pay close to that and the pain of putting up the paneling on the ceiling is hard to do yourself like I would have had to do, and as far as the truck if you have a gooseneck with a dressing room you should have at least a 3/4 to 1 ton, I have a 1 ton dually
Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-01-04 4:08 AM (#96874 - in reply to #96586)

Veteran

Mandi is right it took me more than I thought too, but it was only $330 dollars to do mine, and to get nice paneling you are going to pay close to that and the pain of putting up the paneling on the ceiling is hard to do yourself like I would have had to do, and as far as the truck if you have a gooseneck with a dressing room you should have at least a 3/4 to 1 ton, I have a 1 ton dually
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)