'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Loading a 3 horse trailer

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-12-22 4:23 PM
72 replies, 17242 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-12-19 6:59 AM (#96263 - in reply to #96236)
Subject: RE: Loading a 3 horse trailer

Expert

Good grief.  Land of the free, home of the easily offended..........

Must make it a lot harder to go through life being that sensitive.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-12-19 10:15 AM (#96270 - in reply to #91587)

Expert

It is not a balancing act, any weight behind the axles is a greater possibility for instability....no matter what the tongue weight ends up at. 

Weight behind the axles (no matter the tongue weight) gives leverage to twist the trailer side to side and leverage up and down

If these statements were lawful, the following consequences would be effected: Tens of thousands of horse owners, would not be able to trailer them using the rear most stall in their slant load trailers; millions of boat owners would not be able to haul their rigs with the motors installed; contractors and heavy equipment operators would only be able to use the front partial area of their trailers, which would over load many of the towing vehicles. Utility companies would be unable to deliver and move telephone poles; ATV rental companies would have to limit their loaded rentals by almost half. Many tractor implement dealers could only deliver one tractor at a time. In addition, on a personal note, I would only be able to haul two snowmobiles on my four sled trailer, or haul one carriage on a trailer built to haul two.

Obviously, by the routine success of millions of safely traveled miles, by drivers who routinely violate those "rules", these statements have little veracity.

Properly balancing the load on any trailer is paramount. Hanging any additional weight on the towing vehicle, than is necessary for proper trailer trim, is wasteful and unnecessarily negatively effects the handling characteristics of the towing vehicle. It also adds to increased maintenance issues, with greater wear  of the mechanical components.

Gard

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-12-19 10:44 AM (#96271 - in reply to #96270)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2008-12-19 10:15 AM

It is not a balancing act, any weight behind the axles is a greater possibility for instability....no matter what the tongue weight ends up at. 

Weight behind the axles (no matter the tongue weight) gives leverage to twist the trailer side to side and leverage up and down

If these statements were lawful, the following consequences would be effected: Tens of thousands of horse owners, would not be able to trailer them using the rear most stall in their slant load trailers; millions of boat owners would not be able to haul their rigs with the motors installed; contractors and heavy equipment operators would only be able to use the front partial area of their trailers, which would over load many of the towing vehicles. Utility companies would be unable to deliver and move telephone poles; ATV rental companies would have to limit their loaded rentals by almost half. Many tractor implement dealers could only deliver one tractor at a time. In addition, on a personal note, I would only be able to haul two snowmobiles on my four sled trailer, or haul one carriage on a trailer built to haul two.

Obviously, by the routine success of millions of safely traveled miles, by drivers who routinely violate those "rules", these statements have little veracity.

Properly balancing the load on any trailer is paramount. Hanging any additional weight on the towing vehicle, than is necessary for proper trailer trim, is wasteful and unnecessarily negatively effects the handling characteristics of the towing vehicle. It also adds to increased maintenance issues, with greater wear  of the mechanical components.

Gard

The statements are valid, it is basic physics.  I did not imply that the trailer with weight behind the axle would be unusable...only less stable. 

Your attempt to discredit my statements by dissecting my post to suit your purpose is bad form.  It also makes you appear to be struggling to make your point.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-12-19 10:58 AM (#96274 - in reply to #96257)

Elite Veteran

My thoughts exactly, Cowgirl.. I am learning loads from reading this forum.. Many times you all are the only people I have to ask for most of my questions...Even though I have had horses off and on for most of my life, i am always open to new learning experiences.  I've only pulled a trailer (infrequently) for the last 5 years or so.. What little I've learned about that is just by doing it..I am ready for a step up (from 2H str ld bp) in my trailers and start camping with more frequency and travel with my horse to farther trails..  I enjoy talking (albeit via e-mail) to people who have the same interests as I do.  This forum is a socialization and learning place for me... Not a place to thump my chest and declare myself the biggest, smartest, strongest monkey in the tree.. I do not enjoy wading thru all of the pi$$ing matches for needed information.  Everyone has different ways of doing things that may work perfectly well for them.. I can pick bits and pieces off of everyone's information/contribution and come up with something that works for me.  At some point in the next few years, I will trade my Toyota Landcruiser for probably a truck.. I had wanted to buy a 3 horse slant BP (I don't really want a gooseneck) for the extra room for camping traveling with 2 horses.. I realize that it is a bit heavy for my SUV.. However, I will trade vehicles more often than horsetrailers and wanted to buy something to last and with that future goal in mind.

I appreciate everyone's input, but please try to keep it nice..we are all adults here.

Leslie

Edited by ridingarocky 2008-12-19 11:25 AM
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-12-19 11:23 AM (#96276 - in reply to #96274)

Elite Veteran

Leslie,

Very well said and I totally agree with the content of your post.  I particularly agree with logic on vehicles and future use.  I also agree with your statement about "monkey in the tree."  Very appropriate word picture. 

Happy trails,

deranger

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-12-19 11:35 AM (#96279 - in reply to #96274)

Expert

Originally written by ridingarocky on 2008-12-19 10:58 AM

My thoughts exactly, Cowgirl.. I am learning loads from reading this forum.. Many times you all are the only people I have to ask for most of my questions...Even though I have had horses off and on for most of my life, i am always open to new learning experiences.  I've only pulled a trailer (infrequently) for the last 5 years or so.. What little I've learned about that is just by doing it..I am ready for a step up (from 2H str ld bp) in my trailers and start camping with more frequency and travel with my horse to farther trails..  I enjoy talking (albeit via e-mail) to people who have the same interests as I do.  This forum is a socialization and learning place for me... Not a place to thump my chest and declare myself the biggest, smartest, strongest monkey in the tree.. I do not enjoy wading thru all of the pi$$ing matches for needed information.  Everyone has different ways of doing things that may work perfectly well for them.. I can pick bits and pieces off of everyone's information/contribution and come up with something that works for me.  At some point in the next few years, I will trade my Toyota Landcruiser for probably a truck.. I had wanted to buy a 3 horse slant BP (I don't really want a gooseneck) for the extra room for camping traveling with 2 horses.. I realize that it is a bit heavy for my SUV.. However, I will trade vehicles more often than horsetrailers and wanted to buy something to last and with that future goal in mind.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Leslie

Sometimes the pi$$ing matches are necessary to get the info out there.  I lurked here for some time before I registered.  One of the main reasons I started posting a few years ago was the absolute asinine opinion/attitude towards BP's and SUV's (or for that matter towing horses with anything other than a dually) that was so prevalent on this board.  As time progressed, new and more experienced members arrived and pi$$ing matches were held with the so called older 'experts' found on the board.  During these last few years much more useful info became available to people like you who came here looking.  Should you have looked in the time before that; you would have received no help in reference to hauling with your Toyota, 99% of the posters here would have said you were crazy and dangerous for even thinking about it.  I would not even care to guess how much flak I caught for hauling with the Trailblazer.

It takes all kinds to make the world go round.

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-12-19 11:43 AM (#96280 - in reply to #96263)

Elite Veteran

Chad, when are you going to learn that when you are talking to yourself in the mirror, don't type what you are saying on these threads.

Just trying to help,

deranger

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-12-19 11:47 AM (#96281 - in reply to #96280)

Expert

Originally written by deranger on 2008-12-19 11:43 AM

Chad, when are you going to learn that when you are talking to yourself in the mirror, don't type what you are saying on these threads.

Just trying to help,

deranger

Now youre just being silly.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-12-19 11:59 AM (#96283 - in reply to #96281)

Elite Veteran

Just trying to help,

deranger

Why ChadI thought you would never notice!!! 

Thanks so much...........you made my day. 

deranger

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-12-19 12:02 PM (#96284 - in reply to #96283)

Expert

Originally written by deranger on 2008-12-19 11:59 AM

Just trying to help,

deranger

Why ChadI thought you would never notice!!! 

Thanks so much...........you made my day. 

deranger

Youre welcome.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-12-19 12:12 PM (#96285 - in reply to #91587)

Elite Veteran

Chadsalt, i don not deny that you have experience pulling trailers as I do not deny that any other contributing poster has experience.. I, too, pulled this same 2H BP with a Trailblazer prior to buying the Toyota  (with no problems, .. even without a WDH).. My posting was in reference to the manner in which many postings are made (by others as well).. If someone is asking for input on a subject, then a person may provide input, if they so wish.. However, it is totally juvenile to get into (regular, I might add) blogging squabbles over who is right (or mostly right, right-er, or right-est) and who is wrong.  You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.. You can provide your opinion, but an opinion is just that.. an opinion......people are free to take advice or leave it as they choose.  i am in no way commenting on anyone's quality of advice.. i am merely trying to make a point. It is foolish and pointless to get in an uproar over someone else's differing opinion.. It does not reflect well on the poster, making him (or her) look arrogant and argumentative..  There are many ways to skin a cat that will give you.....a skinned cat.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-12-19 12:26 PM (#96287 - in reply to #96285)

Expert

Originally written by ridingarocky on 2008-12-19 12:12 PM

Chadsalt, i don not deny that you have experience pulling trailers as I do not deny that any other contributing poster has experience.. I, too, pulled this same 2H BP with a Trailblazer prior to buying the Toyota  (with no problems, .. even without a WDH).. My posting was in reference to the manner in which many postings are made (by others as well).. If someone is asking for input on a subject, then a person may provide input, if they so wish.. However, it is totally juvenile to get into (regular, I might add) blogging squabbles over who is right (or mostly right, right-er, or right-est) and who is wrong.  You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.. You can provide your opinion, but an opinion is just that.. an opinion......people are free to take advice or leave it as they choose.  i am in no way commenting on anyone's quality of advice.. i am merely trying to make a point. It is foolish and pointless to get in an uproar over someone else's differing opinion.. It does not reflect well on the poster, making him (or her) look arrogant and argumentative..  There are many ways to skin a cat that will give you.....a skinned cat.

We have a difference in opinions here as well, but thats fine.  I do not consider the discussions, juvenile or squabbling.  I am not in an uproar, I do not take things personally, nor am I concerned with how I "look" in a chat room.  The information/facts I post can be found and substantiated if one is willing to click beyond a chat room.

Like I said it takes all kinds.

Now, what were we talking about????????

Edited by chadsalt 2008-12-19 12:29 PM
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-12-19 1:12 PM (#96290 - in reply to #91587)

Extreme Veteran

Very interesting thread, I will hold my own opinion and what I have learned and done over the years to myself. Here's some words of wisdom.....

"If God made everyone the same, the world would be a boring place...."

No insults intended or put here, just a quote.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-12-19 4:16 PM (#96296 - in reply to #91587)

Elite Veteran

No, Cowpony, you misunderstand.. I welcome anyone's opinions and look forward to their pearls of wisdom and experience..(and I imagine every other reader here does as well)....That is how we learn, if not by trial and error, and I believe that is what this forum was created for.. It's just the bickering and nastiness that I feel is counterproductive and inappropriate to the integrity of this forum.  And No, I am pointing no fingers at anyone..
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-12-19 5:09 PM (#96299 - in reply to #96287)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by chadsalt on 2008-12-19 1:26 PM

Originally written by ridingarocky on 2008-12-19 12:12 PM

We have a difference in opinions here as well, but thats fine.  I do not consider the discussions, juvenile or squabbling.  I am not in an uproar, I do not take things personally, nor am I concerned with how I "look" in a chat room.  The information/facts I post can be found and substantiated if one is willing to click beyond a chat room.

Like I said it takes all kinds.

Now, what were we talking about????????

Order in the court!!! (sound of gavel banging sevral times)  We've established by admission of guilt that there is a difference of opinion!  Further more, we've established through the testimony of the above quote that they are not in an uproar!  Nor are they taking things personally and are definitely not concerned with how they look in a chat room!  There for I can only conclude from these proceedings that someone is in serious need of medical attention from chaffing due to their skivies being worn a might too snugly........if you know what I mean? (spoken in my best Perry Mason voice)  Stella, did you get all that?  Oh Paul, could you bring my limo around.........I'll be leaving the building now.

Thankyou, thankyou very much.  (elvis impression)

Happy trails,

deranger

Buffy111_99
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-12-19 5:30 PM (#96300 - in reply to #91587)

Regular

Wow! Some of you really need to grow up and stop giggling and acting like children.  
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-12-19 6:40 PM (#96301 - in reply to #96300)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Buffy111_99 on 2008-12-19 6:30 PM

Wow! Some of you really need to grow up and stop giggling and acting like children.  

Class!  Class!  CLASSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Now that's better.  We will have no more of these emotional outbursts on this thread or I will give you a time out!  Is that clear?  Class, is that clear?  CLASS, IS THAT CLEAR!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hurumph!  Now that I got that off my chest........I feel a lot better.   Whew! 

(where's that paper bag I breath into when I get too excited?)

Buffy111_99
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-12-19 6:42 PM (#96302 - in reply to #96301)

Regular

Originally written by deranger on 2008-12-19 7:40 PM

Originally written by Buffy111_99 on 2008-12-19 6:30 PM

Class!  Class!  CLASSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Now that's better.  We will have no more of these emotional outbursts on this thread or I will give you a time out!  Is that clear?  Class, is that clear?  CLASS, IS THAT CLEAR!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hurumph!  Now that I got that off my chest........I feel a lot better.   Whew! 

(where's that paper bag I breath into when I get too excited?)

wow!

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-12-20 10:33 AM (#96309 - in reply to #91587)

Elite Veteran

deranger- regarding your post about insurance not paying because of stupidity, maybe in Maryland, but not in Minnesota. I spent 15 years in the insurance industry, 5 as a claims adjuster and 10 as owning my own agency. Most accidents are caused by negligence on somebody's part, i.e speeding, following to close, DRUNK DRIVING. If insurance were to follow your guidelines they would NEVER pay under collision coverage. Yes, there are certain exclusions, but stupidity is not one of them.
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-12-20 6:19 PM (#96330 - in reply to #96309)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by genebob on 2008-12-20 11:33 AM

deranger- regarding your post about insurance not paying because of stupidity, maybe in Maryland, but not in Minnesota. I spent 15 years in the insurance industry, 5 as a claims adjuster and 10 as owning my own agency. Most accidents are caused by negligence on somebody's part, i.e speeding, following to close, DRUNK DRIVING. If insurance were to follow your guidelines they would NEVER pay under collision coverage. Yes, there are certain exclusions, but stupidity is not one of them.

genebob, these are not my guidelines that I posted earlier.  I don't make guidelines to/for an insurance company.  The information about the insurance company cancelling the policy and refusing to pay for damages to vehicle are correct.  The insurance company decided they would rather have their day in court than fix the vehicle and keep the insured as a customer.  There are lots of factors that steered the insurance company towards the decision they made, but none of them were my guidelines.  In Maryland, there is a state funded auto insurance program called MAIF (Maryland Auto Insurance Fund).  Maybe that's the reason an insurance company in MD can cancel a client and force them to use MAIF?  I also understand what causes accidents.  That's why they call them accidents.  The exception is when "the accident" flies in the face of sanity and the driver is so grossly negligent that the insurance company wants to terminate the agreement/contact on the spot to elminate the possibility of a similar situation taking place in the future and take their chances in front of a judge.  Knowing that after all facts are considered the judge will rule in their favor.  As you well know from working in the insurance industry that it is nothing more than a game of chance.  The odds are always in favor of the house (insurance company).  That's why when you go to Las Vegas and you are taking a run at "the house," they will invite you to leave.  The insurance game is nothing more than legalized gambling.  The insurance company is gambling that you will never have a claim against them for more than you are paying them.  If you don't believe me, take a look at Loyds of London.  They are the largest legalized gambling house in the world when it comes to insurance.  They even insured Greta Garbo's legs........for a while.

deranger

Edited by deranger 2008-12-20 6:36 PM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-12-22 10:29 AM (#96378 - in reply to #96330)

Expert

Originally written by deranger on 2008-12-20 6:19 PM

Originally written by genebob on 2008-12-20 11:33 AM

genebob, these are not my guidelines that I posted earlier.  I don't make guidelines to/for an insurance company.  The information about the insurance company cancelling the policy and refusing to pay for damages to vehicle are correct.  The insurance company decided they would rather have their day in court than fix the vehicle and keep the insured as a customer.  There are lots of factors that steered the insurance company towards the decision they made, but none of them were my guidelines.  In Maryland, there is a state funded auto insurance program called MAIF (Maryland Auto Insurance Fund).  Maybe that's the reason an insurance company in MD can cancel a client and force them to use MAIF?  I also understand what causes accidents.  That's why they call them accidents.  The exception is when "the accident" flies in the face of sanity and the driver is so grossly negligent that the insurance company wants to terminate the agreement/contact on the spot to elminate the possibility of a similar situation taking place in the future and take their chances in front of a judge.  Knowing that after all facts are considered the judge will rule in their favor.  As you well know from working in the insurance industry that it is nothing more than a game of chance.  The odds are always in favor of the house (insurance company).  That's why when you go to Las Vegas and you are taking a run at "the house," they will invite you to leave.  The insurance game is nothing more than legalized gambling.  The insurance company is gambling that you will never have a claim against them for more than you are paying them.  If you don't believe me, take a look at Loyds of London.  They are the largest legalized gambling house in the world when it comes to insurance.  They even insured Greta Garbo's legs........for a while.

deranger

Sounds like genebob and myself should come open an insurance company in MD.  Certainly insurance is a gamble, but if the insurance company can just drop you on the spot and not pay.......

Doesnt sound like much of a gamble for an insurance company doing business in MD.

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-12-22 4:21 PM (#96383 - in reply to #96209)

Expert

That is a SOONER Trailer! Look at the LQ window when it is set up right!
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-12-22 4:23 PM (#96384 - in reply to #96378)

Elite Veteran

Sounds like genebob and myself should come open an insurance company in MD.  Certainly insurance is a gamble, but if the insurance company can just drop you on the spot and not pay.......

Doesnt sound like much of a gamble for an insurance company doing business in MD.

I only witnessed an insurance company doing that once in my tenure working as a body shop manager.  I'm sure it's not an every day practice, or there would be no need for insurance companies, just state funded insurance.  I'm sure you would do fine in the insurance businss since you tend to disect every little detail and make sure you are never misunderstood on any point.

deranger

Edited by deranger 2008-12-22 4:29 PM
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World