'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Saddle fit

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-09 2:28 PM
14 replies, 4508 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hansenshorses
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-11-02 6:48 AM (#50978)
Subject: Saddle fit

Regular

What does it mean when you are done riding and the horse is sweaty and the whole shape of the saddle (Wintec Icelandic) is dry on your horse. I know if you have dry spots that is pressure points but how about the whole saddle shape?

Does it mean there is to much pressure on the whole saddle and it does not fit?
 The pad is a dressage pad.  100% cotton on the inside and 100% poly in the inside.
HELP!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-11-02 7:35 AM (#50982 - in reply to #50978)
Subject: RE: Saddle fit

Elite Veteran

I've never heard of the whole saddle area being dry, but it doesn't sound good to me. 

Run your fingers down your horse's spine and see if he reacts to the pressure.  Try it a couple times and increase the pressure as you go.  If he sinks down, pins his ears, etc he's hurting.  Does he have any white hairs showing up in the saddle area?  That occurs when the area's blood flow is blocked. 

Saddle fit can be very tricky and vital to the horse's well being.  Do some searches as there's ton of good info on the web about saddle fit.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-11-02 9:22 AM (#50989 - in reply to #50978)

Elite Veteran

That is kinda weird...My horse had dry spots on the shoulders and when I brushed her she would drop down from the pressure.

Took her to the saddle shop and got Me fit to a saddle then her.Had 3 days trial,Rode her at the shop first and everything checked ok.

Took her on a Search and rescue symposium and rode hard for 3 days...no problems.It was a Crates roper,reiner, allround with a quarter horse tree....and she is an arabian!.

How does the hair look? is it smashed down or ?

Maaybe you just have good air circulation.If the horse doesn't act sore or any other problems it is probably ok.

I have also taken an old white sheet,depending on the color of the horse, and put that on the back, then set the saddle on and tightened it up.Walked them around and took it off,The pressure points will leave an outline on the sheet.

When I take my saddle off it is damp under the pad were the saddle bars sit. 

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-11-02 11:21 AM (#50992 - in reply to #50978)

Veteran

Flame me if you want, but it is relatively common for synthetic saddles not fitting properly.  Yes, you have problems.  Personally, I would find a good saddle fitter, get a saddle that fits & get a GOOD WOOL pad.  (5 Star are excellent!)   I want my horses comfortable so they can do the best job possible for me & enjoy it so saddle fit is at the top of my requirements.
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-11-02 8:01 PM (#51031 - in reply to #50978)

Elite Veteran

After riding distance horses for years, I can promise you a dry back is not a good thing.  When I first starting riding endurance, I used a Wintec (back in the 80's) and consistantly had a sore backed horse.  Pad's aren't going to help.  Icelandics with their short backs, high head carriage etc., I would imagine they may hollow their backs.  Look for a saddle maker to build you a saddle.  I'd be afraid to continue using that Wintec.  You may end up with a sore, grouchy horse.  JMO
lostinohio
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-11-02 8:31 PM (#51033 - in reply to #50978)

Hi,

My daughter used a Wintec 2000 A/P saddle with Cair and adjustable gullet for almost two years while in her "english" stage with her 15.2 hh App/Quarter mix. Once the gullet is adjusted for the horse, she always had excellent "sweat marks", being wet wherever the pad was with no dry spots. As was stated earlier, it is imperative that a saddle fits the horse correctly. Horses also can change through the year, weight loss/gain and saddles should be checked regularly. Totally dry is not good.

hansenshorses
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-11-03 9:28 AM (#51056 - in reply to #50978)

Regular

I talked to some friends who live around here and they had the same thing happen. It might be weather and time of year. So my saddle fitter told me to put a white towel on her the next time I ride and see what happens. So we will see!

Thanks for all the info tho.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-11-03 9:49 AM (#51058 - in reply to #50978)

Elite Veteran

One problem with custom made saddles to fit one horse is,if the horse dies bury the saddle with it cause it won't fit another one.

Just get the fit checked by a good saddle dealer,like I said I went thru the same thing.If you could afford a custom built saddle, you probably whould have not bought a synthetic saddle in the first place.

You can also take some wire,I found some electrical wire like they use in houses, works good, enough to bend over the back.

Place this wire on a piece of cardboard and trace it.

Now do this in at least 4 places starting from where the saddle will sit on the sholders and work back.

Cut out the cardboard tracings and try on the horses back to check fit.You will have a female half and male half.

Use the male half to check the fit of your saddle.You will be able to see if there are any spots that are too high or too narrow.

Hope I explained it clear enough.I know there will be some one out there that has tons of money and can spend it on custom saddles and pads, but if you are on a budget this will help you determine if you need a saddle change or if a good wool felt pad will take care of it.

Don't be afraid to visit your local saddle shop,if it is a good one they can help in many ways and they know if you can't afford a big bill on a saddle that they will work with you to help find a solution.

A lot of saddle stores have trees on hand to try on your horse and check fit.Check around,find a reputable dealer and go see them.A good one will even give you a 3 day or more trial period.

Good luck and keep us informed.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-11-04 5:34 AM (#51084 - in reply to #50978)

Expert

Try a TROOPER saddle.Do a web search.Lots of them made.Used by many field trailers,police depts and so on.You might be surprized at the ease of fit and comfort to horse and rider.Old design with modern updates designed for long hours of use with weight off the horses back.

Edited by hounddog 2006-11-04 5:44 AM
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-11-05 9:46 AM (#51132 - in reply to #50978)

Extreme Veteran

The answer to your question is yes.. too much pressure. From the name it sounds like a treeless saddle, and I'm not a big fan of treeless saddles. If it does have a tree, I'll look like the a--, reguardless it is a poor fit, but there is alot of people who use treeless saddles that could help you out better than me. My advice would be to spend a few extra $$$$ and buy a saddle with a good wood tree
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-11-06 7:56 PM (#51193 - in reply to #50978)

Veteran

You know, I was recently reading something that Meleta Brown (saddle fitter) wrote - & she said a horse will "drop down" from a poor fitting saddle to get away from the pressure points.  Could be your problem w/this one.....
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-11-06 9:09 PM (#51195 - in reply to #50978)

Elite Veteran

hconley,

A Wintec is not a treeless saddle.  It has a tree. Some have shims that you can insert to adjust the fit, sort of like some of the Ortho Flex saddles.  But I have just started riding in a Bob Marshall Sport Saddle which is treeless.  Had a hard time finding a saddle to fit a mutten withered Arab.  Saddle fits good, and is real comfortable.  I remember when I was a kid, we'd just throw a saddle on that was more than likely bought at an auction, and ride.  White hairs and all, we'd just ride.  Of course way back when . . .  we did alot of things with horses that we wouldn't do now.

hansenshorses
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-11-07 4:36 PM (#51227 - in reply to #50978)

Regular

The Wintec is not a treeless saddle.  It has an air cushioning system.  Look up Wintec on google and you can read about them.  Some of my friends said they had the same problem a couple of weekends ago.  I went and bought a white dressage pad and used it while riding for a few hours.  It wasn't totally clean and her hair was not totally dry  but I don't think it is exactly what I would like to see.  Will ride this fall and then next spring have a saddle fitter come out and help me out.  She does not have a sore back yet so that is good.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-11-09 11:50 AM (#51305 - in reply to #50978)

Extreme Veteran

I bought a Allegany Mountain Trail Saddle for my TWH a few months ago. They sent me three trees to try on my horse. Not custom trees, standard trees. All three trees were possible fits based on the measurements & pictures I sent them. Boy, this was a huge learning experince. They all fit so different and it was very clear which one was the best fit. I'll never buy another saddle without first getting the tree that's in it to try on my horse. I rode Fancy in a 30 mile endurance ride (LNB) a few weekends ago, and she came though the vet check with no back issues at all. BTW we came in 4th out of 25 (LD), and second in BC! Not bad for a first endurance ride on a TWH. :-)

-Betty
horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-11-09 2:28 PM (#51307 - in reply to #50978)

Veteran

I ride dressage ,and had a custom saddle made in europe for my mare.I liked the saddle,but my mare hated it.It takes a good while for these saddles to mold to the horse.Mine was wool flocked,and the people came back every 6 months for saddle fitting ,and readjusting.After several re-adjustings my mare was still misrable.I had to ride her in it to get it to fit right,but to me it was not worth it for her to be mirable until this saddle fit corectly.I finally went out ,and bought a bates caprilli air ride saddle ,she loves it.It has the ajustable gullet as well.I ended up selling my custom back to the maker.Just to let everyone know custom is not always better!
Also your horse may not have sweat marks under the saddle from old saddle injury.I have a friend with a "problem "horse that was having dry spots under the saddle.The saddle fitter said that if the tissue's are/were injured in that area before.It could cause the dry spots,and may get better over time ,and may not depending on how bad the underlying tissue was injured.Just my thoughts!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)