'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Painting the top of my trailer Help

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-04-11 8:23 AM
4 replies, 3559 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2010-04-10 3:35 PM (#118675)
Subject: Painting the top of my trailer Help

Veteran

Yes I posted about black stricks running down the side of my trailer coming from the roof of trailer, its alum, I believe and not painted on top.  Anyone know what kind of paint I should use to paint it so this doesnt keep happing, after I get black stricks off.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-04-10 10:36 PM (#118684 - in reply to #118675)
Subject: RE: Painting the top of my trailer Help

Expert

For many years I've used quite a bit of the single part marine polyurethane paints. They work well on many materials including metals. They have a high solids content, excellent colour retention under high UV, very resistant to abrasion, excellent flow outs, and a high gloss finish that will make your roof cooler than a bare metal surface. They can be sprayed, rolled or brushed.

The two I'm most familiar with are Interlux and Pettit products, Brightside and EasyPoxy. They are available at many marine suppliers,

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1329&familyName=Pettit+EasyPoxy+Topside+Paint

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=64&familyName=Interlux+-+Brightside+Polyurethane

There are also automotive urethane paints, oils base types and the lot. I know one owner who rolled on a layer of house type latex. It all depends on what you are looking for in quality and durability.

Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2010-04-11 4:39 AM (#118685 - in reply to #118675)

Veteran

Thanks gard, I have used both, the Interlux's and Pettit products and there are both good products, I thought that there was a special paint out there for the roof's of trailer's, should it be primed with a zinc chromemate primer, I know when I painted boat's we always sanded and primed the bare metal before painting it 
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-04-11 8:07 AM (#118686 - in reply to #118675)

Expert

Each paint manufacturer, of course, recommends its own primer. As you know, with aluminum it is difficult to achieve a good paint bonding, without a proper preparation. Chromate primer is a good choice and works well. I'm not sure how it would fare with the two part epoxies, but with the single polyurethanes it works well.  Make sure you use a respirator if you spray it, it's a nasty event otherwise.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-04-11 8:23 AM (#118687 - in reply to #118675)

Expert

I would not recommend sanding your trailer's metal roof unless it's steel. Most of the aluminum roofs are only .032"-.040" thick, and could be easily damaged with an aggressive sand paper. I would use a green Scotch Brite pad affixed to a random orbit sander, to abrade and clean the metal. Then vacuum, and wipe and clean the surface with a degreaser/cleaner. I use acetone and tack rags, but there are many commercial surfacing preparations, specifically intended for that purpose.

BOL  Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)