fluphenazine, reserpine, or chlorpromazine anybody familiar with these drugs for horses
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-01 4:58 PM (#63159)
Subject: fluphenazine, reserpine, or chlorpromazine anybody familiar with these drugs for horses

Veteran

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-07-01 6:53 PM (#63164 - in reply to #63159)
Subject: RE: fluphenazine, reserpine, or chlorpromazine anybody familiar with these drugs for horses

Extreme Veteran

We have used reserpine on a SSH gelding.  It was suggested to us when we were breaking him.  He was very nervous under saddle and had what I can only describe as an equine version of ADHD.  We gave 1cc per week for the first month and then maintained with 1cc per month after that.  It worked quite well for us and seems to help him concentrate on business.

RIDE ON!

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-07-01 10:28 PM (#63174 - in reply to #63159)
Subject: RE: fluphenazine, reserpine, or chlorpromazine anybody familiar with these drugs for horses

Elite Veteran

I've used reserpine in the past.  We used it on my Arabian who had to be stalled for several weeks due to a hoof abcess.  He didn't appreciate being kept in his stall without a buddy next to him.  It didn't help him at all.  He was "nervous in the service" the whole time, which just made the healing process take longer.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-02 9:52 AM (#63180 - in reply to #63159)

Expert

Why do you ask?  Has someone used them on your animal?  If you are found using these drugs many associations will place you on suspension.
cab1118
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-07-02 9:58 AM (#63181 - in reply to #63159)

I'm interested in what people have to say about this.  We had a trainer that wanted us to use "Ace" on our daughter's horse before a show to take the "edge" off.  She did it once before I realized what it actually was.  We thought her gelding acted worse.  I started asking around and found out it wasn't allowed for showing.  When I told our trainer we didn't want to use it again, the trainer got upset with me.  We now have a different trainer.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-02 10:15 AM (#63183 - in reply to #63181)

Expert

If you need to take the edge off an animal you can do this with a feeding plan.  A low sugar/carb feed and not feeding the morning of a show can and has worked for years before "liquid trainers" existed.  I deal with shining examples of these methods, often.

Animals on drugs never act as well as truly trained sober animals in their prime.  If drugs were this trainer's path to greatness it shows his clients he's not worth their time and money.

Not all the "big" trainers are 100% honest, I'll be the first to admit when I recommend a trainer for someone out of my area I check their suspension history with all the large associations.  I wonder why more folks don't...  (I also recommend drug screening on horses once they've been at a new trainer for a month or so...I mean the works not just the short term drugs.  There are drugs now that can last for up to a month, so just because you don't see the needle doesn't mean your horse is clean.)

You made a good move away from this trainer and I hope you find one that can truly tap into your horses potential in a more honest professional manner.  On a positive note, you found out now before you and your daughter got caught and punished by the association.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-02 10:18 AM (#63184 - in reply to #63181)

Expert

For the record "Ace" is not a drug you've listed...so if your trainer "aced" your horse with these drugs they lied to you.
cab1118
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-07-02 7:21 PM (#63218 - in reply to #63159)

cab1118
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-07-02 7:31 PM (#63219 - in reply to #63159)

I wasn't the original poster.  I just wondered what other's thought about our situation.  Our horse didn't need Ace, he was just new to my daughter and she was still figuring him out.  The trainer just thought it was the easy way out I guess.  We are new to horses and relied on our trainer for guidance.  But Ace didn't seem right to even a newbie like me.

We have found a wonderful trainer, who is retired from taking kids to congress and world.  We just show at the local shows. I still didn't think giving a horse drugs was what I wanted my daughter to learn.

hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-07-04 11:07 AM (#63275 - in reply to #63159)

Extreme Veteran

To give a horse prescription drugs without a presciption is illegal under state and federal laws. The vet who handed out the drugs could lose his license and the trainer could be fined and/or jailed for his actions.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-04 9:06 PM (#63300 - in reply to #63275)

Expert

hconley, even worse these drugs are not labeled for animal use.  There are no dosing guidelines for animals, which is why you won't find many vets using these drugs.  Google them and read about the side effects...

If your horse needs drugs to win then you need to find a better horse.

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-04 9:49 PM (#63303 - in reply to #63159)

Veteran

Wow, the rodeo world uses these drugs quite frequently I was informed. Barrel racers, ropers, bull doggers, etc... Rodeos don't test for drugs, so I guess they can get away with it. A horse we bought had been drugged with one of these drugs(unknown to us) and when it wore off we had a crazy horse on our hands.I have since learned a good bit about these drugs. I am not for them but know they are used more than yall seem to know

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-04 10:46 PM (#63306 - in reply to #63303)

Expert

I have been on both sides of this issue.  I also test all animals prior to purchase...(I'm quite aware of the behind the barn/owners back things that happen to make so-so horses awesome and I'd rather ride a sober horse and not be suspended.)

What the rodeo world does has NOTHING to do with me and in light of your statement about the excessive drug use I couldn't be happier!  There is a reason that an ambulance has to be on the grounds...need I say more?

RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-07-05 4:18 AM (#63315 - in reply to #63159)

Veteran

Wow, the rodeo world uses these drugs quite frequently I was informed. Barrel racers, ropers, bull doggers, etc... Rodeos don't test for drugs, so I guess they can get away with it. A horse we bought had been drugged with one of these drugs(unknown to us) and when it wore off we had a crazy horse on our hands.I have since learned a good bit about these drugs. I am not for them but know they are used more than yall seem to know

I'm sorry, I think to make a blanket statement like that without any proof to back it up is unfair.  I've been around the rodeo/roping world for many years.  I, personally, haven't seen drug use on rope horses at horse shows, rodeos or ropings.  I'm sure just as in other disciplines there are a few who do it.  But the guys who compete at PRCA Rodeos, for instance, are on great well trained horses who know their job.  Many of the rope horses compete well into their 20's, if they were burning them up on these drugs, the horses wouldn't last.

Just because one person does it doesn't mean everyone does it.  I know of a local reining trainer who gave my friend's horse Fluphenazaine without his consent.  Needless to say my friend was furious, and pulled the horse out of training.  Because this one trainer does it, does that mean it's widespread in the reining industry or everyone does it?  No

Edited by RoperChick 2007-07-05 4:41 AM
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-05 8:59 AM (#63329 - in reply to #63159)

Veteran

I would never make a blanket statement if I didn't have proof or know for sure that there are MANY, (not ALL) that use drugs whether it be ACE (yes, ace. is a drug along with banamine, etc...) or any of the others mentioned. I said that I am not in favor of this practice and that we got taken by purchasing a horse that had been drugged. I have always required a  pre purchase vet check, but didn't go as far as having this one drug tested. Was naive enough to trust the seller and at this point had never heard of people giving horses drugs per se. It opened my eyes and I would give a horse a drug test now if I had any ?'s or concerns. This is a quite expensive test but would have saved us alot in the long run. I am new to this forum but it seems that some of you are quite naive as I was when it comes to this topic. As far as the NFR competitors, I think that you would be surprised as well. Please don't beat me up on this issue. I was just trying to see if any of you had any experience with any of these. Hope everyone has a nice day!!
cab1118
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-07-05 10:33 AM (#63338 - in reply to #63159)

That is what bothered me so much about our trainer wanting to give our horse ACE at a show.  He wasn't a high strung horse at all, just was wanting to pass all of the other horses at the lope.  It was more my daughter needing to learn how to slow him down.  It was just a quick fix, and we found a new trainer.  By the way that trainer competes cutting horses and told us "everybody" does it to take the edge off. Also told us we needed to reconsider if we wanted our daughter to place at these shows.  (Which were local saddle club shows.)

I just didn't see the point and didn't think my daughter was learning how to ride.  Also, the one time they used it, it didn't slow the horse down at all.  Now the new trainer has her handling him very well without drugs.  Just took time and practice and some wet saddle blankets...........

hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-07-06 9:37 AM (#63383 - in reply to #63159)

Extreme Veteran

A large amount of scribe drugs are being used without a true Vet Client Patient Relationship. Owners and trainer are getting these drugs from an opened ended or multi-fill scribe, and this is not a true VCPR. A true VCPR means the client has agreed to have a vet examination perfomed, seek a diagnosis, and follow a treatment plan to take care of a problem, anything other than that is unethical and illegal. When I see this happening I report it to the state vet office. I make alot of emenies, but I don't care. I believe any vet whose particpates in this sub-standard of the equine practice is  unethical and doesn't need to be a vet. 

Edited by hconley 2007-07-06 9:47 AM