Rumber flooring - too hot?
kcnyellow
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-14 6:36 PM (#57076)
Subject: Rumber flooring - too hot?

Hey everyone with rumber flooring, I need your input.  I've been researching rumber through all the old posts on this site, and have not come across this issue.

I spoke with a trailer dealer the other day who told me they will never carry trailers with rumber flooring because they think it gets too hot and isn't good for the horses legs.  The salesperson said it transmits heat from the roadway up through the bottom of the trailer more than wood or aluminum do.  

What do you think?  Anyone out there notice this?  I've read pretty much nothing but rave reviews for rumber, so this surprised me.  Would love to get your thoughts on this, especially those of you who live in warmer climates.

Thanks!! 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-03-14 8:35 PM (#57083 - in reply to #57076)
Subject: RE: Rumber flooring - too hot?

Extreme Veteran

I think your dealer is feeding you a line of B.S. Aluminum is "one" of the best heat transfer metals known, that is the reason they use it in Air Conditioning units.
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-14 9:15 PM (#57086 - in reply to #57076)

Extreme Veteran

I haven't talked to a whole lot of salesmen that care or even know much about horses, not that there aren't some out there. I don't know how the heat from the floor of a trailer would hurt a horse's legs either. I call B.S.! I would guess that's just a line because they don't carry any trailers with rumber floors.

I would worry more about having an insulated roof for the hot
TX summer sun, makes a lot of difference.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-03-15 7:08 AM (#57092 - in reply to #57076)

Elite Veteran

Ditto on everyone else's remarks.  I have a '97 2H aluminum frame trailer with the rumber floor and bought it new.  The floor has been fantastic.  No wear, no heavy mats to pull out, just sweep, rinse, and you're done.  I've never noticed any heat issues with the floor.

I live in South Fla and it gets very hot and humid here.  The trailer has thick fiberglass composite walls and is much cooler than steel or aluminum.    If you walk in my trailer and another trailer side by side, mine is always much cooler inside. 

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-15 7:22 AM (#57093 - in reply to #57076)

Expert

Originally written by kcnyellow on 2007-03-14 6:36 PM

I spoke with a trailer dealer the other day who told me they will never carry trailers with rumber flooring because they think it gets too hot and isn't good for the horses legs.  The salesperson said it transmits heat from the roadway up through the bottom of the trailer more than wood or aluminum do.  

Thanks!! 

I'd find another dealer after that statement, because that one is a snake oil salesman.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-03-15 8:45 AM (#57095 - in reply to #57076)

Expert

As stated above. Metals such as aluminum have a MUCH faster heat transfer than rubber. Rumber is made from recycled tires.

Yes black asphalt asorbs the sun and gets hotter than I like to walk on barefoot. Does it get hot enough to be a discomfort to your horse's hooves.  Have you ever seen your horses trying to get off the pavement in the summer because it was too hot to walk on? I have seen many an occassion where my horses intentionally walk on the asphalt rather than stumble through the vegatation along the edge of a road. Apparently it is not so hot as to bother them. I doubt that heat would intensify enough to make the floor of a trailer as hot as the road surface itself. Especailly with a 60 mph wind blowing past the trailer as it moves. With the air motion, I doubt the trailer floor gets any hotter than the ambient air temps.

I've had rumber in my trailers since 2000, It has performed flawlessly. I've towed across Southern Utah in summer when the temps hit 105*. Never noticed any problem with a hot floor or my horses feet.

NRB
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-03-18 10:48 AM (#57264 - in reply to #57076)

Hi I have no personal experience with the rumbar flooring.  But I do know a trainer at a local show barn that hauls her clients horses to either Arizona or Canada once a year for shows (from Virginia) She had a steel 6or 7h LQ trailer (I'll assume w/ wood floors)  She sold that and bought a 7h DR DreamCoach with the rumbar floors.  She claims that with the new trailer on the long hauls, her horses travel better, their legs do not stock up and that they recover from the trip quicker.  She is a big fan of rumbar floors.

Now as to the heat transfer from the roads.  I do think of the road in the summer as a frying pan.   It does reflect heat up, but I think that most of the heat on a trailer comes from above, from the sun.  I'll admit that I have never felt the floor of various trailers on a hot summer day.   I have felt the outside of a steel, non-insulated, dark green trailer in the sun.  It was hot to the touch.  And the horses insde were stifling hot and covered with sweat.  Same day, different trailer, white in color outside and in, insulated up the wall and fiberglass roof and the horses were cool and comfortable.  No sweat on them.

Jayrabbit
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-21 2:50 PM (#62611 - in reply to #57076)

New User

Hi Kelly,

I saw your post on Horse talk. I am the General Manager of Rumber Materials. I just wanted to let you know that the Rumber flooring is not going to transfer heat like other flooring. Check our website www.rumber.com, we have a quote from a vet stating that our boards give cushion to your horses legs.

If I could get the salesman phone number I would have one of our sales people go by so he could get information package about our products.

Thanks,
J'Lynn Hare
940-759-4181
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-22 5:02 PM (#62669 - in reply to #57076)

Veteran

I'm a dealer for several companies who use rumber flooring standard or offer it as an option and I personally own a trailer with rumber flooring and I wouldn't trade it for every treated wood floor ever made. Its comfortable for the horses and easily maintained. And I've never had any heat problems. So I'll call it BS too.
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-06-24 7:21 PM (#62758 - in reply to #57076)

Extreme Veteran

That guy who told you rumbar is hot is full of prunes!!!

I live in the high desert of California, it frequently is 110 degrees in summer, and we LOVE our rumbar flooring!!  I have a Classic Westerner trailer, and the only thing I need to do to maintain our flooring is to wash with the hose after a trip, and I use the pressure washer about evry 5th or 6th time to fully wash the walls and floor. ( yeah, I am a bit of a neat freak)  My Arabians stand quietly on the floor, and ride fine, as it does not get slippery like metal or painted flooring. It is also a LOT QUIETER than metal flooring, so loading and all is easier.

Thats my 2C's....Steve

Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-25 9:45 AM (#62791 - in reply to #57076)

Extreme Veteran

I should print this page to pass out to my customers.  I am an avid proponent of Rumber flooring.  Our dealership sells two lines of horse trailers that offer Rumber flooring (Hawk and Dream Coach) and we do not order any inventory units from these manufacturers without adding the Rumber floor.  Rarely do we not have a Rumber floor in a custom ordered trailer, as it is a very affordable and beneficial option.  My personal two horse has a Rumber floor, and it is perfect for us lazy types that hate pulling out rubber mats and dragging them back in to keep a trailer clean.