State Park/dogs
Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2012-05-19 2:10 PM (#144058)
Subject: State Park/dogs

Regular

Hello
This is a post that possibly should have been posted on another forum, but I thought I may get more response here.
We have a park in our area with a lake with several trails around this lake that are multi use, shared by hikers and horses.
Dogs are to be kept on a leash but not everyone abides by this rule. In the past few months our horses have been attacked two different times, the most serious time the dogs actually bit the horses legs resulting in one rider being bucked off and a second horse ran away with it's rider.
Now dog lovers, I also love dogs and own two myself. But we feel we have a right to use this park also, so please no hate mail.
I would like to know if any of you have an effective way to ward off these aggressive dogs? I have been advised to carry either wasp spray or carburator cleaner as both would shoot for some distance and to squirt them in the face. This does seem extreme and I would not want to blind anyone's dog, I don't now if it would. We fear someone in our group could get seriously hurt if these attacks continue. Hate to give up this nice riding area, calling the sheriff has been done but as a low priority no officer shows up for about 90 minutes.
Joan
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2012-05-19 3:28 PM (#144060 - in reply to #144058)
Subject: RE: State Park/dogs

Elite Veteran

Mace/pepper spray shoots in a stream also and wouldn't permanently harm dogs. Guessing the wasp spray/carburetor spray suggestion is to not accidentally inflict pepper spray on your horse if you have to use it while mounted. Also, maybe look into bear spray? That's probably intended to shoot in a stream a fair distance also.
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2012-05-19 4:20 PM (#144062 - in reply to #144058)

Veteran

Can I ask what Breed the dogs were?  Spray is a good idea but - will you be able to access it and hold onto a bolting horse at the same time?  Also stinky spray from up in the saddle might spook the horse also.  My suggestion is to school the horses - getting them used to dogs charging - darting around. My mare, when I ask her, will chase em off she Hates Dogs, I have had a couple of opprtounities to chase off agressive dogs. good luck

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-05-19 6:46 PM (#144066 - in reply to #144058)

Extreme Veteran

I have had good luck chasing dogs (except for the Great Dane who was as tall as my horse).  I have also had good luck when driving my horse to land the whip just in front of their noses...they have never bothered me after that. I think the sprays would be a good idea and you probably wouldn't even need to hit the dog just land it in front of the dog. The element of surprise is often the best deterrent.  I saw a video on using bear spray and it is a very loud spray, not a stream.
CTR Rider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2012-05-19 8:03 PM (#144070 - in reply to #144058)

Veteran

I certainly sympathize with your problem.  I lived with a wonderful riding park in my back yard and fought the loose dog problem many times.  My horse hates dogs, has never had a GOOD encounter with one.  I thought about trying the spray, but it was frequently windy where I lived and that was just not a good option.  I was once attacked by two big dogs, circling my horse and leaping up and snapping at my legs.  The owners had the dogs off leash, and had NO control.  As you said, calling the authorities isn't always timely.  Will be interested to hear if anyone else has some feasible suggestions.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2012-05-19 10:21 PM (#144072 - in reply to #144070)

Expert

The owners really are asking  to have their dogs treated as a football by somebody's horse that is attacked.That is what a lot of horses would do to them.I saw a dog get kicked on a ride once,it was a dog that someone had brought along that ran in and out of the woods at various times hunting.It darted out just in the right spot at the wrong time and was rolled about 10-15 feet by a kick.I could not help but feel sorry for the little fella,the way it kept yelping and looking at us and yelping some more as if to say  "Please help me!" But it was OK,nothing broken,but,it's a wonder it wasn't killed.

How stupid of people! They're the ones that need the pepper spray in the face! dogs are just doing what dogs do,but,HUMANS are at least supposed to know better!

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2012-05-19 11:02 PM (#144074 - in reply to #144058)

Expert

A friend of mine had a nice mare who was very badly attacked by a loose dog... the mare required over 1000 stitches and staples.  The dog's owners were dumbfounded by their dog's attack, and paid all vet bills which were very extensive, and on the advice of some professionals, wound up putting the dog to sleep.  This attack was witnessed by their small children who were hysterical and terrified beyond description of their dog afterwards. Loose dogs have no place on public land... wasp spray is just the warning shot.  Another man we have ridden with, carried the dead daughter of a friend back to her parents after she was drug by a horse she was leading that was attacked by some neighbor's "family pet".  Dogs are great, but that is what a leash is for.... protect your dog from getting into terrible trouble, and causing someone lifelong heartache.  Ours are not afraid of dogs at all, will slow down and be watchful of a dog approaching in attack mode.  A dog kicked by an aggressive mule is usually no longer any problem...ever.  Sounds harsh, but some of these "accidents" are so horrible, and the knowledge that a leash made them preventable makes it so much more sad.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2012-05-20 12:37 AM (#144076 - in reply to #144058)

Expert

http://www.intexportgroup.com/
Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2012-05-20 8:04 AM (#144078 - in reply to #144058)

Regular

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to look into both the bear spray and the taser, I would think both would would require a little skill and accurancy. On the average ride we are 5 to 6 ladies, some novice riders and some experienced riders on green horses and this contributes to the chaos when one or more dogs charge us. I would think that on most rides that there would be one of us who would have a horse that could stand it's ground and that person could shoot the spray. I can see we are going to need a training seminar!
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2012-05-20 8:25 AM (#144079 - in reply to #144058)

Extreme Veteran

If its a state park, where are the Park Rangers?  I would also contact the DNR. I know here in Iowa the DNR patrol the parks. 
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-05-20 9:05 AM (#144084 - in reply to #144058)

Extreme Veteran

HOT SHOT wasp spray!Works wonders, and does not blow back at you much. It also shoots about 10 feet.
Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2012-05-20 11:20 AM (#144088 - in reply to #144058)

Regular

I like the idea of the wasp spray also, originally I thought that is what I would get but then I began to wonder what the consiquences would be.  Do you think it would have serious effects if I the dogs were hit in the eyes?  What if it did blow back on a horse and rider, would it be any worse than  blow back from pepper spray?  Pepper spray is not supposed to cause any permanent damage, I suppose this is a question for the vet.

Joan

flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2012-05-20 4:02 PM (#144095 - in reply to #144088)

Veteran

The problem with the wasp spray is that it is a very lethal pesticide. It kills wasps on contact. Pesticides are potent neurotoxins and would be harmful to the dogs, horses and any people who came into contact with it. It shouldn't even be inhaled or gotten on the skin. In the eyes it can cause blindness. What if you hit a person or a horse?

I'm from Nebraska, too. It is often windy here. Tough to control horse, account for wind speed and direction, then hit a moving target.

I would be inclined to stop and turn my horse toward the dog just as I would if on foot and encountered a dog.

Good luck whatever you do, What an unpleasant and dangerous surprise when enjoying a nice ride with friends.
henrynva
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2012-05-20 5:07 PM (#144097 - in reply to #144058)

Regular

My experience with dogs has been that if you can get the horse to move towards the dog or face the dog, most dogs will be intiminated and run away. If you turn your back to the dogs, you can't see what is happening and the dogs think they have the aggressive upper hand, since the horse is moving away. However, if a group of dogs or a very aggressive dog is actually attacking you or your horse that is a situation that the dog(s) deserves whatever overwhelming response you can deliver to avoid either you or your horse being injured, be it wasp spray, pepper spray, taser, mild bleach in a water pistol or a crack on the head with a crop. I would be less concerned about the dog and more so for you, your friends and all horses. Dogs, more so in packs, that get away with these attacks will likely continue. Putting up notices in the area of dog attacks where the owners live warning them of consequences, particularly legal, may be your next step also.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2012-05-20 5:19 PM (#144098 - in reply to #144058)

Expert

When I go to a horse show ( and these are class A breed shows) dogs are supposed to be on a leash at all times. Mine is either on a leash with me OR tied at the trailer. However if you are a big named trainer/rider rules don't apply to you. Those little corgies ( me I like a Lab..you know real dogs) are all over the place even in the arenas between sessions. At a show there was a stall behind mine filled with puppies that barked all the time. So i understand your frustration both with owners who think the rules are for other people and for the lack of enforcement of the rules. Either keep your dog at home or keep them on a leash- you might love them but i dont.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2012-05-20 10:21 PM (#144114 - in reply to #144058)

Expert

I have the same problem at my state park, I told the park manager and the  park police about the dogs, they told me that they would have to see the dog off lease to give a ticket, so I now  face the dog and chase the dog and person and tell them that they dog got my horse upset and the if they wont to file a complaint please do and do not forget your dog off lease
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-05-21 9:06 AM (#144127 - in reply to #144058)

Extreme Veteran

You know what?If I or my horse/companions are being attacked...your dog is going to get sprayed! Pesticide or no pesticide!!In that kind of occasion, it is more likely that someone or someone's horse/child/what ever, is going to hurt, and it WON'T be mine. Either leash your dog, and be sure it is controlled, ( not by a 5 yr old child!), or leave the animal at home. THAT, is probably the best idea, as even my dogs, who are familiar with, and have been raised with horses, can get excited and bark or jump towards a horse. As we all know, horses are prey animals, and dogs are predators. Soooo... the horse is inherently afraid of them. My hot shot, is on the pommel bag all the time when riding at areas where dogs are loose.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2012-05-21 11:05 PM (#144143 - in reply to #144058)

Expert

BE VERY CAREFUL USING STRONG, FORCEFUL SPRAYS from a horse's back. The sprays are loud and the noise may startle the horse worse.

Discuss - nicely - with county & state officials, county supervisors & commissioners, and request a LEASH LAW. Be sure that signs are erected defining the leash law. Then, if necessary, use cameras to take photos of dogs not on leashes. Report to animal control and sheriff.

Desensitize your horse to dogs as much as you possibly can. CHASE THE DOGS!  Chasing anything that scares a horse is the only way to teach the horse that it is alpha over the "thing". This includes chasing bicycles, strollers, etc. It's how you get horses used to tracking cows... horses push each other around - it's the same as 'chasing'.  Get someone to drag a stuffed animal while you follow it on your horse.

I used to road ride a great deal. Once I learned that I had to direct my horse to chase any dogs that came out of driveways, it was marvelous. Learn to spin your horse around to challenge the dog if it is approaching from the rear.

There are still times when no matter what - a dog can get after a horse. I'm amazed at how when the trailer trash neighbor's dogs (who tore up my goat) get into my horse's pasture, he stands absolutely still. He KNOWS that if he runs, the dogs will chase him. But I have no doubt he will do what he has to, to protect himself even though he likes dogs and used to have races with nice friendly ones down the length of arenas.

(The dogs attacking my goat is a whole 'nother story - I have 5' high woven wire/no climb fence. Let's just say trailer trash people with 3 german shepherds.  Goatie barely survived and now lives at another farm. I miss her. )

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2012-05-22 9:16 PM (#144161 - in reply to #144058)

Extreme Veteran

Undiluted ammonia in a fly spray bottle. A faceful of that will deter any dog!

Marla
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-05-22 11:54 PM (#144173 - in reply to #144058)

Expert

There's no question, that I or my wife will do anything to protect our daughter and our horses from any animal attack. If the animal is confrontational and aggressive, it will suffer from whatever remedial action we can provide.

I have had dogs all my life and frequently spend larges amounts of dollars to keep them healthy. If another owner is negligent in the control of his dog, both he and his pet will bear the results of our actions. Perhaps if the owners have both financial and emotional repercussions for their inconsiderate actions, they will be more inclined to maintain control of their pets.

henrynva
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2012-05-23 4:13 PM (#144181 - in reply to #144058)

Regular

Maybe we have beaten these dogs enough. But taking up a pack mentality seems in order. It occurs to me that the OP and her riders could get organized, like that pack of dogs. If one rider has a "chase horse" that rider could take the point when the dogs come and attempt the chase away. Other riders could be "back-ups" with water guns or spray cans, and another with a camera to take pictures. Then, if all else fails, as a final "got your back" Curley rides in with a bull whip flayling away (and never drops his cigarette). Dogs likely to never return.
Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2012-05-23 5:54 PM (#144183 - in reply to #144058)

Regular

Bull whip, WOW! Imagine that....After all this good advice I will order bear spray and also we will try having all riders chase the dogs as a group. I didn't realize about the bear spray being loud though. Is it significantly loud? If so, I can see where that could cause the horses to become even more frightened.
Joan
Mira
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2012-05-25 3:26 PM (#144211 - in reply to #144058)

Regular

I turn my horse toward the dog and yell in my most nasty voice and I don't care who hears me ! Usually the owner figures it out,but low the dog or the owner of the dog that attacks my horse ! I was on an organized ride a few weeks back and we had to ride by some houses to get to the trails ,there were two pit bulls loose I turned my horse and hollered in my most nasty voice by then the owner had come to the door and stopped them. Yes , turning the horse toward the dogs and screaming foul words seems to work! Mira
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-05-26 10:02 AM (#144227 - in reply to #144211)

Extreme Veteran

Have to agree, if you can get your horse to turn and face the dog is the best first thing you can do. It's amazing the look on a dogs face, even a huge Rottweiler, when a horse turns to face and move at them. I swear the dog thinks,'Wow, that didn't look so big when it was moving away from me.' That said, I miss my old horse when it comes to dogs, he loved, loved, loved to chase them. I was riding with a friend when a dog came up, his horse was afraid of dogs, so I yelled at the dog owner to call his dog. The man just stood there grinning as my friends horse got more and more anxious, said it wasn't his dog. Yup, Flynn, who wasn't so old back then, and I went into action. After we nearly ran the dog over a second time (I love dogs, but my friends life was more important) the owner finally starts to frantically call his dog. I'm guessing he said it wasn't his dog in an attempt to alleviate himself of any liability should my friend have been thrown from his horse and hurt. Of course, when he realized it was his dog that stood a better chance of getting hurt. I really wasn't trying to hurt the dog, but I was going to keep the dog away from my friends horse no matter what. I miss that quick little old horse.

So I guess what I'm trying to say, is try to get your horse to face the dog. If your horse bolts and runs you stand a greater chance of actually being attacked then if you stand your ground. And yes Yelling at the dog can help. Sprays have to be used with care, because if you get some in your horses eyes/nose your horse may panic as well to get away from that.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2012-05-26 8:55 PM (#144241 - in reply to #144058)

Expert

Just teach your horse the ability to perform the Levade and then add the Capriole to your skill set... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMB0QTDbNjU

Edited by PaulChristenson 2012-05-26 8:57 PM
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2012-05-26 10:08 PM (#144242 - in reply to #144058)

Expert

that is real cool I will tech my draft horse that moves
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-05-26 11:45 PM (#144245 - in reply to #144241)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2012-05-26 8:55 PM

Just teach your horse the ability to perform the Levade and then add the Capriole to your skill set... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMB0QTDbNjU

Naw, that's better for when you run into some guy walking with his peter hanging out on the horse trail. I'm not kidding either. Funny thing about that was I know someone else that saw one of them (two different guys, two different years) and she really laid into that one, but she was with friends. All I could say was, "How's it hanging?"
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2012-05-28 6:40 PM (#144259 - in reply to #144245)

Expert

57geeze! Must have been either drunk,real lonely,or didn't care.LOL! My horse would have suddenly lost her "laziness" I am afraid,and turned into "Silver" (Lone Ranger's horse.) And I would have got the --- out of dodge.34
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-05-29 9:19 PM (#144310 - in reply to #144058)

Extreme Veteran

Yeah, being by myself I thought it was better to keep on keeping on, but wasn't really concerned. I was thinking they were fishing in the river and got silt in their shorts and was probably getting a bit itchy in the short running shorts they were wearing? The one guy when he saw me at first tried to hide that he was hanging out with his tackle box, but gave it up. His hands were full as he had a fishing pole in one hand and a tackle box in the other. The other guy from the year before was really strange as he just had a fishing pole and nothing else, but may have been using a lure and not needing anything else? Even so, that one was a bit creepy. At least I was on my old horse that day (this was quite a few years ago)and Flynn could handle anything. I was riding Zen the other time and I think the guy found his size kind of intimidating. Thankfully haven't seen either of those guys or any others in several years, so perhaps the one lady and her friends set at least one of them straight.