any brilliant ideas for using "wasted" space in your trailer?
bluepuggirl
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2009-01-18 12:43 AM (#97688)
Subject: any brilliant ideas for using "wasted" space in your trailer?

I was having a discussion today with some friends about tricks we use to store and stow things in our trailers. I bet there are a lot of great little tips people have. Wanna share?

I found several rubbermaid-type totes that fit perfectly in my boot boxes-- use each box for a different type of item (ie. beverage, snacks, first aid, etc) and it's easy to get what I need without having to dig everything out and sort through a pile! My friend Jess has a net mounted to the roof of her trailer-- it holds big, bulk items out of the way. Annie keeps all the beverages in her LQ's shower-- just add ice! Cassie has shower rods stretched across her tack room and hangs just about everything from those closet organizers. Any other great ideas out there?

Also, if anyone has a wonderful (yet safe) way to use the space in a slant trailer that would be the rear tack if the trailer had a rear tack area, I'd love to hear it! I know folks who throw a bale or two of hay there-- but I've always been wary of having something back there that could shift. Was thinking though, if there was a way to secure them... a strap or net or something to hold whatever it is to the trailer, that would be great... any thoughts?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-01-18 11:34 AM (#97700 - in reply to #97688)
Subject: RE: any brilliant ideas for using "wasted" space in your trailer?

Elite Veteran

Corner water tank behind swing out saddle rack in side tack corner uses dead space behind saddle rack.

Tupperware containers in LQ cabinets to store the staples (bags of chips, tea bags, breakfast bars, popcorn, etc).  Tupperware saleslady came to my house to assess how I used my LQ storage and the same amount of stuff takes up 1/3 the space now with the Tupperware containers. 

I bungee cord my wheel barrow in the third stall to the wall (has tie off grommets) and manger when I'm hauling one horse and have the first stall full of hay so I don't have to wrestle the wheelbarrow in and out of the truck bed, and have the wheelbarrow handy to unload tack and feed before I unhitch my trailer. 

The tall cylindrical Pub Mix snack mix containers from Costco make excellent dog food and horse feed travel containers.  Enough for several days and they pack better than a partial bag of dog food or grain. 

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-01-18 12:23 PM (#97701 - in reply to #97688)

Extreme Veteran

This is how I utilize my rear tack. My telescopic panels fit back there all nice and snug. I have redone this a bit now. My 50 gal. water tank is in the rear tack now to give me more space in the front sleeping/tack area and I highline alot more now as it's quicker to set up in the middle of the night when I arrive at my camp spots, that and easier on the ole' arthritic hands! LOL!!!!

I have added two fold down shelves in front to put items on and works great for my portable DVD player to sit on and kick back and enjoy a movie when I just want to lay down and relax after a "really long ride"......

I have all my camping supplies in this corner. I have now taken out the saddle rack and it made me have soooo much more room. Besides I just put my saddle up ontop of my bed when I travel somewhere, and as you can see from the first pic, when I'm at my destination it stays in the back on a movable, collapsable saddle rack that a family friend made for me. I have like 10 of those things now bless his heart!

People always comment on how neat it looks and how much stuff I can store in such a small area (as you can see from the pic above) as it's only a 2h slant load. I'm not living in this area much, really just to sleep, and change in and then I"m out on the trail the rest of the day. So it works out perfect for me!

Would be great to see others pics for great ideas and how they utilize their small space too!

Edited by cowpony01 2009-01-18 12:27 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-18 1:03 PM (#97703 - in reply to #97688)

Expert

A good space saver is the use of a folding wheel barrow.(tubular frame, canvas body) We use several HD plastic tack boxes that have wheels on one end, a handle on the other and can be pulled like a piece of luggage. They stack well, two make a good seat and are very durable.

Walmart sells plastic multiple drawer and bin units that fit within cabinets and eliminate the wasted space against the wall. Hang whatever you can to preserve your valuable floor space. The backside of doors are often unused, and attaching hooks or brush shelves on them can utilize more storage areas.

Often times the bunk area of a LQ has few or no cabinetry. The nose area, over the windows and side walls, can all be fitted with cabinets, shelves or storage units. Flip down under cabinet mounted radios, DVD players, TVs etc take up no valuable counter space. This is also true of the under cabinet mounted B&D coffee maker. A cutting board made to fit over your stove top and sinks, adds useful counter space.

The reusable poly bags in which you insert your bedding or clothing, and suck the air out with a vacuum cleaner, decreases your storage space needs by 2/3 rds.

Gard

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-01-18 6:58 PM (#97727 - in reply to #97688)

Extreme Veteran

Got any ideas on storing stuff in the mangers?  Never fails whatever I need is always on the bottom.  Would like to find something to mount the emergency stuff (lug wrench/tire changing tools,etc.) to the door so that you could get to it quickly.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-18 7:41 PM (#97730 - in reply to #97727)

Expert

Originally written by tom-tom on 2009-01-18 7:58 PM

Would like to find something to mount the emergency stuff (lug wrench/tire changing tools,etc.) to the door so that you could get to it quickly.

Purchase some of the clips commonly used to hold tool handles on the walls of your garage, and bolt or rivet them to the inside of the door. You may have to increase the diameter of the tool to fit snugly into the clip, which is accomplished by applying a circle of masking or duct tape to the tool, until the diameter is correct.

Gard

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-01-21 8:07 AM (#97917 - in reply to #97688)

Extreme Veteran

Also, if anyone has a wonderful (yet safe) way to use the space in a slant trailer that would be the rear tack if the trailer had a rear tack area, I'd love to hear it! I know folks who throw a bale or two of hay there-- but I've always been wary of having something back there that could shift

I do not have a rear tack in my slant and I store 2 Rubbermaid tubs there filled with blankets/sheets or whatever. There is a d-ring there to hold the portion of chain that holds the divider back. I use a tie down strap around the top tub and attatch it to the d-ring that keeps them both from falling or shifting. I also have a bridle rack above this area and can hang halters/bags with easy boots/lead ropes/whatever from them. I also had them install a blanket bar in this space. It is very handy for wet saddle pads. They are usually dry by the time I get home. I have hauled hay in that area before and have never had a shifting issue. The bales do tend to be a bit large though so I like to haul the hay in the front stall or the truck. My trailer is 8ft wide and the wheel well also helps to hold things back when stored there.

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-01-23 6:07 PM (#98079 - in reply to #97688)

Extreme Veteran

Our Mid tack is completely outfitted with items from the below web site.  Very cool stuff.  We look like a true value Hw store.

http://www.organizedbarn.com/products.html#hooks

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-01-26 9:15 PM (#98286 - in reply to #97688)

Extreme Veteran

I am considering installing "cut to size" painted pegboard panels in my deadspace areas and add hooks and small baskets that hang from the peg holes.  I also use see-through plastic containers in my LQ cupboards.  I label them so I can tell at a glance where things are.  I put string, different kinds of tape, gorilla glue, etc in one, small tools and scissors in another, sunscreen/bug spray, aloe lotion, etc in another, you get the idea.  I also use small canvas bags the size of a lunch box, for first aid supplies... one for the horse, one for people.  You can do the same with maps, road atlas books, etc. 

One guy I ride with uses over the door hooks to hang stuff everywhere.  He simply attached a 2x4 across a section of wall and hangs the over the door hooks (about 24" long) on the 2x4. 

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-01-27 6:39 AM (#98298 - in reply to #97688)

Elite Veteran

I had a little extra welding done in my under-manger-tack-compartment on my 2H straitload. I had brush boxes made out of some sort of metal "mesh" which holds my tarp, tire tool, w-d 40, and various other sundries put in on either side, had extra hooks placed in the bridle racks area, welded metal hooks on the "bulkhead" wall to hold my manure fork, had a jiffy jack holder built in above the door. I also put in stick up lights on the "roof" to see better. I have used the heck out of the swivel hook tack hangers.  I put up a couple of strips of adhesive velcro to one area to stick up my sports boots, so they don't take up precious space in my little brush boxes.  My tack doors aren't big enough to mount one of those professional choice organizers.. even the short ones, so I have had to get quite creative to be able to use this little day-trailer for camping.  I have a homemade 25-30 gallon plastic water barrel with a pvc spout and tap that will fit upright in my little tack area, and will lay down for use after setting up camp. My buckets are all graduated in size and fit in between the swing-out saddle racks.  I'm kinda proud that I've managed to cram so much stuff into this one little trailer and utilize it fairly successfully for weekend camping.. I just wish it were big enough to transport OUR camping gear, as well as hay.
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-01-27 8:29 PM (#98364 - in reply to #97688)

Extreme Veteran

I like the shelf idea.  Interesting concept.

I seem to always be tripping over that trailer aid ramp thing we all own. 

And frankly I have never left home with out my WD-40.

Great Ideas

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-01-28 7:29 AM (#98381 - in reply to #97688)

Elite Veteran

I have a 2H GN weekend package and not alot of storage so this thread is very helpful.

My trailer came with a mirrored medicine cabinet over the sink area and it's a great place to keep contact cases & solutions, toothpaste, sunscreen, comb, brush, advil, etc whatever you need for personal stuff

I have several wicker baskets that I keep a variety of items in: pots & pans, small tupperware, 1st aid kit, extra batteries, flashlights, etc.  I keep one on top of the microwave cabinet, others beside the mattress in the GN. I make sure I always put back the same items in each one so I know what each one holds. 

I also have plastic containers in the three cabinets I have above the dinnette.  Two hold various paper goods, plastic plates, utencils, the other food staples.  I just pull down the container to get what I need.  They stay more organized and don't fall out if the cabinet door opens while driving.

I have a towel bar which I find very handy and other various hooks to hang items as needed. I use carrabiners to clip stuff onto bars, hooks, etc One of the keys is to get stuff up high off the floor.

I put my hay in large bale bags and can either put them in the truck back seat or the 1st stall if I'm only bringing one horse.  I use bungees to wrap around the handles & attach D rings near the window.  They stay in place and out of the weather as I used to put them in the truck bed.

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-01-28 9:11 AM (#98387 - in reply to #97688)

Veteran

Gotta love those multi-pocket organizers that you can hang on the back of your door. The one I have is mesh, so you can see what's in the pockets. I have it mounted (screwed) to the wall just inside the midtack door. Whenever I need something, I can just reach inside and grab it. Best of all it's flat enough that it doesn't get in the way even when full. They make big ones and small ones. I put everything from tools to hoses, duct tape to lead snaps in it.
Amanda
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-01-28 6:53 PM (#98422 - in reply to #97688)

Extreme Veteran

With all the things we pack As long as the pooch is comfy we are all comfy

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-01-28 9:05 PM (#98427 - in reply to #98381)

Extreme Veteran

Dunoir - I had a 2H GN with 3' shortwall that I built shelves in.  If you go to the Albums on this website and look at the "shelves" pic posted by Cowgirl98034 you can see how easy it can be.  I used 1x2 furring strips of cedar and added a horizontal strip across each shelf to keep stuff from falling out.  It was amazing how much stuff I could get in that trailer!!!  I used self-tapping steel screws to attached a couple strips to the back side then attached the shelves to those.  When I bought a 2H GN with 9' SW LQ, I could not find enough space to put all the stuff I had in the smaller tack room!  I also built a 2 shelf medicine cabinet by the door for little things and added hooks on the bottom edge for hoof pick, scissors, small flashlight, etc.  I loved those shelves!
memory
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2009-01-29 12:03 AM (#98429 - in reply to #97688)

Veteran

This website had some different ideas in their corners.   www.pimpmyhorseride.com
KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-02-02 10:49 AM (#98635 - in reply to #97688)

Veteran

I put a shelf with a lip in each of the cabinets at the foot of the bed area. I also put cup hooks in there. Now I can store shoes in the bottom, hang gloves and stack small things on the top shelf. I also have the stackable bins in the cabinets at the nose of the gooseneck for socks, underwear, and stuff. Anything to have several layers of storage. Also, we took out the cooktop and vent and added a full size drawer where the cooktop had been.
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-02-02 8:32 PM (#98673 - in reply to #97688)

Extreme Veteran

I went to walmart and bought 4 of those wooden medicine cabinets with mirrors on them and placed them strategically throughout the LQ. They are shallow, but hold a lot of small items. Took out the fridge and made it into a cabinet. Made a shelf in the existing one cabinet that came with the trailer for the microwave. Built a shelf for the TV and VCR that has storage in it. Built a bootbox that has multiple compartments inside and a step with a compartment. Built a shelf over the door and another like it over the bed using those ladder trim things to hold stuff from falling. Hung an adjustable shower curtain rod between the wall and shower to hang clothes.

I wanted the LQ to look nice and spent a lot of time on it without a lot of money. My next project was the tack area, but since I no longer have a rideable horse it seems like a waste of time.

memory
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2009-02-02 9:52 PM (#98679 - in reply to #97688)

Veteran

I like the shelf above the door. Neat idea.

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-02-04 12:59 PM (#98793 - in reply to #98298)

Extreme Veteran

Ridingarocky,

I love the idea of the velcro to hang up sports boots! I think I'll go put some up now.

In my two horse trailer I purchased a soft sided tack trunk from ebay (horseluverz, I believe) and it fits neatly under the saddle rack and holds my Trailer Aid and various other goodies. It also has pockets on the outside for smaller items you can grab easily. The fact that it is soft sided makes it easier to use because it can be squished to fit in odd spaces if need be. I got it for about $20.

I'm very fond of the hanging organizers and have two in my big trailer in the midtack and one in the two horse. I have been contemplating adding some small shelves above the door in my LQ and in a couple of other spots so, seeing that nice pic makes me want to pursue it even more.

Great thread!

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-02-04 1:29 PM (#98797 - in reply to #97688)

Elite Veteran

I contemplated putting a shelf above the LQ door but I'm short and have a 7'6" roof so that shelf would be out of reach anyway.  I ended up putting a stick on 4-place hook, where I keep my truck keys, a small flashlight with a loop, etc. Out of the way but still handy. 
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-02-04 2:27 PM (#98804 - in reply to #97688)

Elite Veteran

I also love the shelf over the door!  gonna get one of those myself.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-02-05 9:27 AM (#98841 - in reply to #98797)

Extreme Veteran

I ended up putting a stick on 4-place hook, where I keep my truck keys, a small flashlight with a loop, etc. Out of the way but still handy. 

I also have found that those plastic hooks from 3M that are removable work great! Some of them can hold up to 5 pounds. I use them in the shower to hold a little pop open bag for my shampoo, etc. I have two that have been hanging there for about 2 years without coming off (yet). They work great on the aluminum and on wood, etc and won't damage the surface.

Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-02-06 7:47 PM (#98956 - in reply to #97688)

Extreme Veteran

I also put the same kind of shelves over the windows in the gooseneck. I don't have any cabinets in the nose, so these are great. And a good place to put the TV remote, my glasses, a battery powered clock and reading material.
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-02-08 10:37 AM (#99021 - in reply to #97688)

Extreme Veteran

The nylon organizers that fit inside five gallon buckets are a great invention.  They were invented to hold small tools for carpenters, but they work great as organizers for hoof picks, ointments, brushes, and other small items that always seem to wind up at the bottom of the tack box.

Marla

Killrail
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-02-08 12:44 PM (#99027 - in reply to #97688)

Veteran

For those of us who don't have LQ's.....-if you have butterfly doors in the back, open them up put a tarp along them to 'close in' your trailer, put up your 'cowboy shower' bag and have a decent private shower...make sure to put down another tarp on the ground or some astro-turf to keep feet clean.-use old pantyhose, put soap in and tie up end so it doesn't fall out, tie other end onto one of your trailer doors where you shower. You'll be able to use the soap while it's inside the pantyhose and it'll dry on its own too.-mount another spare tire mount and spare tire on the other side of your trailer, so you have 2 spares for your trip.-take your camping potty with you and put it in your stall area while you're at camp, you have your own bathroom. I use one of those medical/bedside potties so I don't have to squat on the little/short 'camping potties'.I know there's more, but can't think of them right now. I'm a bit rusty on the camping since I haven't had a chance here recently.